Thread: KTM450sx or DS450x mx?

KTM450sx or DS450x mx?

Hey guys I just got the go ahead from my lady friend to get a new sport quad for the 2009 race season. Im debating on the ktm450 sx or the ds 450x mx. They both have what I want. I really like the look of the KTM but it costs more than the ds. Is the KTM really worth the price? I know the ds had some issues last year like in bottom end power but ive heard they fixed that too? I was just wondering which one I should go for???? Thanks!

After owning a KTM , i wouldn't ride any other machine if I had a choice!

Jay
    2009 KTM 450 SX - Race Bike
    2009 KTM 450 SX - Practice Bike

Thanks to my 2009 Sponsors: KTM Factory Support, Motosports Factory,Rocket Ron Racing, Clutch Industries,Twin Air,EVS Sports,CP Pistons, Leo Vince Exhausts, Blitz Vision,Division 26 Clothing, DRG , FourWerx , ASV Inventions, KB Motorsports, WP Suspension
    www.fwcarbon.com
    email: Jay@fwcarbon.com

Have you heard of the ktm motor blowing up twice in the vegas to reno race? Some guy just told me about it today. I think its the team engine builders fault but who knows? I want to go with ktm. I know there history on the engines and I know there good. I just don't know yet?????

I wouldn't trade my KTM for anything. Power, light weight, handling, adjustability, DURABILITY, fine details, ergos. Covers everything.
    2004 DVX 400
    -FST 500 big bore/stroker, cams, valvesprings, revbox, ported head, Yoshimura full exhaust, Edlebrock carb, custom airbox/batterybox and headlight eliminator, elka shocks, janssen swing arm, gibson a-arms and steering stem, LSR gusset kit, AC nerfbars and bumper.

2008 KTM 525
    -Rath nerfs and bumper, KTM a-arms, Twin-Air filters, Hiper wheels with razrs, precision dampener, Flexx bars, bored carb, 13:1 CP piston, 806 cam, Weapon exhaust, Renthal chain and sprockets, quad-tech hood, FourWerx parts
    -2009 sponsors-661, Oneal, Works Connection, CP Pistons, SMX Optics, Amsoil, Weapon MX, Twin Air, Renthal, ASV Inventions, Steve's Sports Center, Chuck's Welding and Repair

I started to write how different the KTM was from the Can Am, therefore justifying the price, but then I began to realize they offer similar parts. I would say the WP shocks on the KTM are better than the KYB's on the Can Am from what I hear. The KTM's engine is also going to be stronger and I think it looks a lot better too.

I'm not sure how many frame and a-arm/axle changes Can Am made for '09 (besides the width & adjustability) because there were quite a few posts on here of very weak parts that easily bent and/or broke under not-so-severe conditions. KTM probably has a more proven track record.
    Sponsored by Dirt Fiend Racing (DFR) of Mesa, AZ ~

2004 Honda TRX400EX (RED)

PEP, Hydrodynamics, Lonestar Racing, Rath Racing, Pro Armor, Pro Taper, ASV, Streamline

2009 KTM 450SX ATV (ORANGE)

Fox Racing Shox, Lonestar Racing, Precision, Houser, Motoworks, Hiper, Fuel Customs

KTM SX although not cheap but it's clearly the best sport quad around...
    Power, suspension, build quality, comfort, brakes you name it

Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
    I'm not sure how many frame and a-arm/axle changes Can Am made for '09 (besides the width & adjustability) because there were quite a few posts on here of very weak parts that easily bent and/or broke under not-so-severe conditions.
    They did fix that issue on the new versions. It was a simple fix that you can get from a few aftermarket company's to solve the problem for the 08's.

id go with the ds450x mx but thats cuz im use to a ds450x..ive nvr rode a ktm.....ive only had problems with the axle just bent a little, n the sproket broke cuz of it
    06 yfz450

i dont know.. ive seen KTM frames bend really easily and ive seen the ds frames bend even easier. I don't think can-am has the kinks out of their race quads yet, because they certainly aren't reliable. But i've seen plenty of problems with the KTM too. but as far as getting your moneys worth...i'd go with the new sx for sure. Ive been racing xc on a honda but this new KTM is making me want to start riding mx really badly.
    Austin Aldridge
    ATVCCS Expert class #2

2008 sponsors:

Elka Suspension, Houser Racing, FMF Exhaust, Fasst company, Moose Racing, Hess Motorsports, Scott USA, Rath Racing, GT thunder, MAC Executive Recruiting, Maxim motorsport