Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 700XX vs. Polaris 525 SRA or IRS

700XX vs. Polaris 525 SRA or IRS

Can someone that has or had both machines the 700 and the 525 give me an honest comparison? I was all but ready to go with the 700XX for my next quad then Polaris re-did the look of the outlaw and I like it better than the old one, and I've been leaning that way.

How would you compare the power? For sand, woods, etc...
    How would you compare the fit and finish? Honda has always been excellent here.

Is the extra 40 lbs on the 700XX noticeable? How do the suspensions compare?

I'd like to hear from unbias real folks. I'm looking to get something new after the first of the year.

Any rumors for the 09 Honda's?

Thanks,
    T
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)
    89 TRX 250R - Fully Restored Original

It's not an extra 40lbs!!! It's about 70lbs and that's huge!
    Read the last issue of Dirt Wheels. They say it wasn't hard to decide that the Outlaw is the best ATV of the two.

Weight is quite a bit. The Outlaw is 389 dry, then add about 25-30lbs for fluids, and your at 414lbs- 419lbs. The 700xx is 505lbs wet. So it about 86-91 lbs difference, and that is a lot. The 700xx does have EFI which is nice, but the 525 runs real well to. I think both are great quads, so either would make someone happy. One thing that would hold me back more on the 700xx, is wheel and tire selection for the rear. A 10" wheel won't fit, and a 11" tire no one makes that is worth anything. So your pretty much stuck with stock for trail rideing. If Polaris can make a IRS sport that can use a 9" wheel, then there is no reason why Honda could not.

id be willing to bet there is a real good reason honda did things the way they did ...everyone knows honda NEVER releases anything without years and years of research and field trials.

at the end of the day ... equal riders on a hare scramble or maybe even some TT races... the honda wil spank that outlaw...

ast thing ...after 2 years of owning each ..comparing honda and polaris as a whole ...which one you think will cost more to operate.

i guess it comes to what you plan on doing with it... you want raw power and legendary reliability with cutting edge technology..or you want old tired end of its lifecycle? 6 months from now people will be making excuses as to why they are getting beat is because of the unfair IRS honda has perfected.

The polaris controls and fit and finish look like it was made in China.

The fit and finish of the XX is far and above that of the Outlaw. I would think that the 09' Polaris has closed that gap a bit though.

If you compared the two side by side, I have no doubt that you would think that the XX is a much better engineered machine.

As far as the weight goes, I had a 03' Raptor, now I have the XX. The weight is not noticeable to me at all. The Outlaw is more "flickable", but the XX just blasts thru everything you point it at. I was on the fence about which one to buy myself and couldn't be any happier with my decision.

As far as the 11-inch rim, I wouldn't worry about it. Maxxis will have a tire out soon, and I'm sure that ITP will follow. The aftermarket is jumping on the XX at a much faster rate than they did with the Outlaw.

Originally posted by trailin'me
    id be willing to bet there is a real good reason honda did things the way they did ...everyone knows honda NEVER releases anything without years and years of research and field trials.

at the end of the day ... equal riders on a hare scramble or maybe even some TT races... the honda wil spank that outlaw...

ast thing ...after 2 years of owning each ..comparing honda and polaris as a whole ...which one you think will cost more to operate.

i guess it comes to what you plan on doing with it... you want raw power and legendary reliability with cutting edge technology..or you want old tired end of its lifecycle? 6 months from now people will be making excuses as to why they are getting beat is because of the unfair IRS honda has perfected.
    What do you feel is more cutting edge about the XX over the outlaw other than efi? The magazines sure haven't praised the handling of this machine. I honestly can't believe honda released this machine weighing so much more than its only competitor. I've spent a lot of time on the 525irs outlaw and really enjoyed the machine, great power even stock and the suspension is very good. Not that looks should be a purchase decision but the 09 outlaw looks much better than the honda IMO, even the 06-08 outlaws look better.
    Quads: 86 TRX 250R, 08 KFX 450R

Trike: 83 ATC 185s (original and mint)

Sled: Polaris IQR 600 mod

Bike: Yamaha RZ350

www.knhmotorsports.com

the honda was weighed in at 550lbs by the baja team. They were pretttty pissed that honda whould only sponcer them if they took it to the 500 and 1000 bajas. this is not close, my ds sitsbecause it weights 460 lbs. let the honda live on it's old rep. answer one question. in one catagory of all the honda's are they the leader in? get back with me on that one. love my 525 irs, it is the best quod i have ever rode.
    2000 ds 650 (1st one to hit memphis) prm skids summit front heal guards 6 pack rack stainless nuts and bolts throught hydro clutch t4 exhaust percision stabilizer and other stuff
    08 525 irs prm front rear and belly summit front bumper prm 6 pack rack fmf with fmf jet kit hand guards prm side bars outlaw shock covers percision stabilizer(wow)pb elka's with quad springs

I would also like to know where all this cutting edge is that the 700xx has over the Outlaw!! I've been racing the Outlaw since it's start, and has been rock solid and very reliable. It's true the fit and finish isn't the best, but from what I've seen from the 09, much of that is taken care of. But the performace to me is where I love the Outlaw. Not taken anything away from the 700xx, as it's nice to see another sport IRS. But IMHO, Honda didn't do it justice. I know you guys who bought them feel different, and I would to. But I talk to a lot of die hard Honda guys at the races and they think Honda droped the ball on this one and put it out to quick and should of thought more about it. The 11" wheels was a big one, but also the looks, the reverse location, the weight, and all that plastic down at the bottom of the frame. Honda has been around for many years, so if Polaris can build a IRS sport around 400lbs with 9" wheels and work great. Then Honda should of had no problem doing the same.

so what yall are saying ... you want the same old tired thing over and over ...in other words ..same **** different day sort of thing>? Why is everyone so caught up on weight? Weight is irrelevant on a hare scramble for the most part ...

Truth is ...everyone tries to justify his or her purchase and most will defend their justifications...

Same sort of things with people that say they cant hear with helmets on ... or it interferes with their vision ..or you cant move as well with a chest protector ..blah blah blah

I mapped my trx700xx today ...and even finetuned it ...and ive ridden all kinds of quads ... this quad shines on every front ...it might not be the absolute best at one particular thing ... but its very good at everything you throw at it...

No one can deny hondas legendary reliability and engineering ...it just cant be done.... and honestly ..i cant remember the last time someone went to purchase a sport quad and left it bone stock ... unleash 10 or 12more hp on this 686 fuel injected motor and my friends ..you havea beast.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast