Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86r vs 88-89r

86r vs 88-89r

What is so different between the 86r and the 88-89r ??? I have 89 that needs a new frame and left side engine case thats in parts. I am thinking about redoing it or picking up an 86 that is in extremely good near stock condition. What is so bad about the 86?? I have an older friend who runs a side business selling atv parts and doing repairs and he likes the 88-89 better. Any opinions?? Info?? Thanks

do a search. there's tons of info about the differences between years and everyone is probably sick of explaining it. favorite year is personal preferance

I searched and didnt really find anything.

real quick search and this was the best i found

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...s&pagenumber=2

i have had 2 86 250r's and a 88
    both of the 86 models had frame issues on the lower left engine mount,
    but i never had a issue with a 88 frame.
    some exhaust pipes dont inter-change with the different years.
    owner, and head wrench for my daughters flat track racing habit.

2013 SPONSORS
    BALDWIN MOTORSPORTS
    DASA
    RATH
    RENTHAL
    GO-PRO
    LEATTE
    AMSOIL

86 frames do have issues with the motor mounts in general. On mine, I had the front left and 2 bottom mounts crack and almost break off.
    85/86 atc 250r, very modded, lrd 310pv, +1 lsr, shortrack kit, cr250r igntion, 39 pwk, paul turner hi-rev pipe, propeg nerf bars, HREATV custom frame,
    86 atc200x- 84 250r exteneded axle, supertrapp pipe, 27mm carb, works rear shock, 84 250r front end(rebuilt w/ terry kit), 350x tripples, ported head, 12:1 piston, webcam,
    crf450r quad, lsr frame, swinger, antifade, hyper beadlocks and the best of everything else.
    88 trx 250r pced and reinforced frame, +3+0 t-pin, 310pv, cr ignition, 39 pwk, lsr rear end, elka shocks, aftermarket radiator, lrd pipe
    06 ktm450exc, full skid plate/guards, radiator fan, clarke tank, dual sport kit, reg/ins/insp, steering stabilzer
    98 200exc: street plated, skid/guards, dual sport lights, stabilizer and more.
    07 ktm 250xc, skids, reg/ins, dampener, good lights
    2011 atc450r in the works, suspension and details need to be worked out

I have had the same motor mount issues with an 88 frame.

Actually the '86 frames are pretty rock-solid in my experience. The '88-'89 crack near the footpegs. I have welded my '88 behind the left footpeg and near the right front motor-mount. If you get into a lot of jumping and twisting around on the '88-'89 frames, they will crack.

There is nothing "bad" about the '86. If it's stock, it will have the short-rod motor (with the 125.3mm connecting rod). This is considered to be more of a "hot-rod" engine due to that feature. It allows development of more peak power, sacrificing range of that power just a little bit. The '86 engine has a more open intake design than the later years. This allows for better breathing, but piston wear is accelerated in that area. Interestingly, the Honda CR bikes share that intake design.

Supposedly the CDI units are different too, and the later years have better maps than the early ones. I do know that the '86 CDI is smaller than the '88, but they are otherwise interchangeable.

Also, the ATC250R and 1986 TRX250R share a very similar engine.

When I was originally looking for quads, I wanted the '86, but had to settle for the '88. As fas as looks, I guess I do like the '88 red plastic and "250R" stickers.

In the end, it's just preference, really. Any year 250R can be built into a very mean quad with the right combination of carburetor, porting, head, and pipe.

the biggest changes is the 88-89 is around 50 pounds lighter. the swingarm is shorter, and they had higher compression than the earlier ones.
    Caution! Post Whore!
    Kansas B Class Motocross Racer
    Long Live the 250r!

i think 50pds is a bit of an exaggeration...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast