Thread: poor performance

poor performance

I ride with a couple of the guys I went to High school with cause we've known each other long enough to trust each other, and I know they won't try to purposefully ditch the newby (me). Anyway, one of my friends rides a 2000 warrior that's stock, save for an HMF? pipe. Recently he's been having trouble keeping up (surprised everybody) because his bike is cutting out on him under throttle. When we got back and looked it over, his problem seems to be a stumble or miss at anything past 1/4 throttle.
    If he lets it idle, pushs it past 1/4 and holds it, it will also do it in neutral. Basically the motor runs & idles fine, but under throttle it will misfire (or atleast that's how it sounds) at a regular spaced interval, like it's not getting a spark. We checked the plug wire and found the cap was loose, but tightening it didn't help. Also checked plug and found it was coated with a black smear that smelled like gas. And he just had the valves adjusted. Any ideas what might be causing this. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere. (I don't think it's a parking brake issue b/c the cable for that has been removed since before he bought it, and it used to run fine and smoke pretty much everything we had). Thanks, James.

Check the main jet. I had the same prob was running great and then I couldn't go past 1/4 throttle popping and sounding like it was misfiring. My main jet was totally blocked.
    2001 Warrior w/88 motor
    White bros slip on
    razr2's
    Banshee shocks

2002 Blaster
    ITP/Fast trekkers
    03 hood
    Wiesco crank
    TORS removed
    Uni Filter

^+1
    2008 LTR450
    Trinity intake kit; EHS prefilter lid
    Dasa Pipe; PC III
    Pro-Armor Skids, Nerfs, Chain Guard,
    Shift & Brake Lever
    Pro-Designs Case Saver
    CF Frame and Pump Guards
    FUEL anti-vibe Stem
    Fasst Flexx 14* quadracer bend

2001 Warrior
    DG Xcellerator III
    Pro-Flow with K&N; No lid
    AC Skids and Bumper
    WB Nerfs
    Razr 2 all around

?

Sounds like a good place to start. If you ever had the carb apart mite have a piece of trash in it and sucking it up when you give it gas. Seen it on a buddies 250r that made a gasket out of silicone.
    2006 LTR 450
    Power Commander, Cherry Bomb, Fuel Atv Airbox eliminator, Full Dasa Pipe, and 12/38 gearing, Hipers on all 4s w/ Razr 2s tires, GT Thunder XC a-arms, GT Linkage, HLS Shocks, Pro Armor- powergrip pegs, nerfs, and heel guards. Pro Armor- grab bar, bumper, and kill switch. Flexx Bars, Precision Stabilizer, BLingstar radiator guard, Cyrca handguards, Fuelatv gripper seat, Hot Cam(intake only)
    Soon to Come: 08 throttle body, and High Comp piston. And hope fully a dyno tune for the PC.

Might be dumb but did anyone check the parking brake dosn't have a short, that only allows it to idle. Also I've seen on many warriors the reverse linkage somtimes isn't adjusted right and causes a short which causes the same issues your telling me. I would check those first.
    2002 Warrior FST 446

My money is on the parking brake. Get a parking brake delete off ebay and get rid of that stupid thing. They are such a pain in the ***. That is exactly what it sounds like though, check it at the clutch lever also. I zip tied mine so it would never work again, just the way i want it. Worst design ever
    05' fan cooled 416ex, zrpilot's motor, GT Thunder 10.8:1 piston, GT Thunder HD headstuds, HD cam chain, HRC cam, GT Thunder 8 plate clutch, GT Thunder XC Port & Polish, GT Thunder XC CDI, terry cable throttle, 450r carb(48 pilot, needle 3rd from the top 178 main), white brothers e series pro-meg muffler, white brothers header,UNI, aluminum air box no lid, galfer ss brakes lines, houser +2 arms, TCS dual rate shocks with rezzies, lonstar +2 swingarm and +4 axle, LSR billet sprocket hub, tag fat bars, maier race plastics, kenda knarly mxr 18s kenda klaw mxf 20x6, spal 4" puller fan, 14/36 gearing and ..... Dual rate Axis rear shock, AMR monster coil, roll design +2 steering stem

06' CC F-250 Diesel FX4 6" lift 20x12 welds 35x13.50 mickey thompson's 4" TB exhaust no cat 2 jl 10"

well, I've looked into it. the main jet seems fine, clear and in good shape. carbs look clean inside, no dirt. reassemble and problem still there.
    As for the parking brake, it's been disconnected at the lever since he bought it. Still has brake and line, just not connected to anything so there shouldn't be anything to trip the sensor as he's had the bike 3 years and this problem just developed.
    Was wondering, could this be a torn diaphram or something. We found a crack in the side of the intake manifold boot and patched it with rubber cement, but it did not cure the issue. running out of ideas. Any help, greatly appreciated.

have you checked your stator, or your coil? mine is doing the same thing and my stator was wrecked, my crank berring went bad and he stator put gouges in the mag, which caused poor fire.
    1995 Yamaha Warrior
    -Supertrapp exhaust
    -Atventure Nerf's
    -White Brothers Teather
    -Moose Racing CR high bars
    -Factory Effex numberplate background
    -Wiseco high comp. piston
    -Custom hood
    -Custom double wide foot pegs
    -DG Baja swingarm skid
    -RM Stator high output stator

well, sorry it took so long but he found the problem. Turned out to be a bad frame ground causing an electrical issue that allowed the misfire. Tightened the bolt and everything is aces.

Thanks, James.