Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 / Amsoil / Honda (syn oil) ?

Question Mobil 1 / Amsoil / Honda (syn oil) ?

The guy I bought my quad from said he just had it serviced.
    The oil looks like it should.

However, it's over-full a little and I'd swear the oil is too thin. I hope it's not in a way, but if I had to bet based on what I see I'd put my money on 10w30. It seems that thin.

I'm not anti-thin oil... but I don't think it's right for this application. I'm thinking it should be 15w50 or 20w50, and probably synthetic.

So I can really only think of 3 oils I might be able to get that fit my thoughts....

Mobil-1 15w50 (silver cap now SM/CF) ?
    Mobil-1 20w50 V-twin
    Amsoil 20w50 motorcycle

I thought about honda oil also but only recall seeing dino 10w40... and I am a skeptic of MFG brand oils, as they do not "MAKE" oil... which usually ends up that it is contracted to the low bidder to label the product for them.

So anyways, what do you guys think about these oils?

What about filters? What do you run?
    Honda OEM?
    Wix?
    K&N?
    etc?
    '08 Monster Kawasaki KFX450R (black)
    Too many mods

'99 Sport 400
    Out of a time capsule
    Bone stock, new condition (6/08)

'00 TRX400EX
    Already a project in progress
    Full Yoshimura Exhaust, UNI filter & jetting
    ITP Holeshot HD rears XC fronts on ITP T-9 Baja wheels
    PRM Desert Bumper, PRM full skid protection, & CDB air scoops
    T.M. Design Powerlip Chain Guide, DG Nerf Bars & Pro Armor FAT Pegs
    Duncan Graphics kit, gripper seat cover & Shock-Pros flame covers
    Pro Taper taperwall bars & Cycra Probend hand guards
    Nac's Racing number plates & headlight covers
    14/38 gearing that was on it

i run a k & n filter and it gives a nice boost and as for the oil i run 10w 40 high performance a racer at my local track recommended it as does the manual hope i helped

I hear the honda GN4? is good stuff but i dont know who makes it.

I use these oil filters they are made well and are cheap. http://www.hiflofiltro.com/
    2002 400ex

i would def go with amsoil 20w-50 http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...6&goto=newpost
    there is another thread about oil. as far as oil filters i am using wix filters now. they are supposed to be some of the best
    2004 450r
    2007 400EX

"Run her hard, but at the end of the day treat her like a lady!"

"Fix it right or fix it again"

Our family owns several ATV's. Honda, Sukuzi, Arctic Cat (Made By Kymco) I was getting sick and tired of running Honda Oil in the Honda, Suzuki Oil in the Suzuki etc. I recently bought my kid an Arctic Cat DVX90, made by Kymco. Same quad as the Mongoose 90. Arctic Cat claims you need their oil which is funny cause Kymco makes it and they recommend their oil for best performance. It is obvious manufacturers claim an oil is specifically made for their vehicles. They word it as if there is a special Honda ingredient that they keep secret! I now use one oil in all my quads and it is available at Auto Zone for $3.99. Since I change oil often (every other ride) I don't care for synthetics, clean oil is good oil IMO. All my 6 ATV's run fine on this oil..Here she is,

I and many other quad owners swear by Rotella Synthetic 15-40, available at Walmart for about $15 a gallon.

You are correct, the manufacturers have no secret ingredients related to their brand of oils. They just buy oil to their specs relabled with their brand name from a major oil supplier. There is very little difference between these oils and the standard brands, as long as they are wet clutch compatable.
    01 Scrambler 400
    02 400EX, Big Gun, Jetted, +2 A's, LSR Anti-vibe
    02 400EX, +6 A-widener, LSR Anti-Vibe
    02 Rappy 660, +4.5 A-widener, LSR Anti-vibe, YFZ 450 shocks, CTR, Jetted

Originally posted by QuadManiac
    I and many other quad owners swear by Rotella Synthetic 15-40, available at Walmart for about $15 a gallon.

You are correct, the manufacturers have no secret ingredients related to their brand of oils. They just buy oil to their specs relabled with their brand name from a major oil supplier. There is very little difference between these oils and the standard brands, as long as they are wet clutch compatable.
    I also thought of using the Rotella.

As far as manufacturers relabeling oils to their specs I bet their specs are something like this,

"We need a 10w 40 oil with our name on it..."

Shell Rotella is good oil.
    I've never seen the Synthetic version in 15w40 though.
    Just dino 15w40 and Synthetic 5w40.

I ran the 5w40 in a 4 cylinder and it didn't hold up to well.
    I got down a quart pretty quickly at a point after I had some miles built up. I had the same experience with Mobil 1 10w30 too. Yet it runs 5,000 miles no problem on plain old Havoline. I don't know what to make of that.

Anyways, I think I will drop by another autoparts store and see what is actually on the shelf. NAPA has Amsoil here, but not the motorcycle stuff. $10 qt mail order Amsoil seems like a bit much effort.... I mean Mobil-1 15w50 is on any shelf, and one of the parts stores is sure to have the Mobil-1 20w50 V-twin.

Oh yeah, I got the bike in the shop on a level floor. She's well over-full with oil. They must have just dumped 2 full quarts in there, and that along with the amount that doesn't come out... well over-full. It's drippy thin too.

No wonder there is some over-rev oil smoke.
    '08 Monster Kawasaki KFX450R (black)
    Too many mods

'99 Sport 400
    Out of a time capsule
    Bone stock, new condition (6/08)

'00 TRX400EX
    Already a project in progress
    Full Yoshimura Exhaust, UNI filter & jetting
    ITP Holeshot HD rears XC fronts on ITP T-9 Baja wheels
    PRM Desert Bumper, PRM full skid protection, & CDB air scoops
    T.M. Design Powerlip Chain Guide, DG Nerf Bars & Pro Armor FAT Pegs
    Duncan Graphics kit, gripper seat cover & Shock-Pros flame covers
    Pro Taper taperwall bars & Cycra Probend hand guards
    Nac's Racing number plates & headlight covers
    14/38 gearing that was on it

I really like my amsoil. I run it in everything I own now. As far as which one. I run 20w50 in summer and 10w40 in winter if it gets cold enough.

IMO synthetic oil is a waist of money on a used motor because all the damge has already been done so as long as you change it often pretty much any oil is good i dont know why all you people are so worried about which oil to use.
    QUADLESS
    2008 450r SOLD
    2004 416ex 11 to 1, stg2 cam triple rates SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast