Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400 ex

400 ex

just got a new '02 400ex. I'm looking for ideas on upgrading the machine. i've order a DynoJet kit (stage II) and K&N filter....now looking for the right exhaust....any ideas out there? don't want to sound like a dumb*** - just want some helpful tips on getting my 400 into top performance......

This will tell you all the info that you want to know about exhausts. The WB e-series slip-on and the sparks are rated the best in most tests.

any tips on modifying my air filter box?

All of these people are cutting holes and and other things to the lid. I take a piece of sheet medal and put ontop of the frame where the airbox is with the lid off. Cut and bend the medal to fit around the frame tubes. This way it will give you the performance as if the lid is gone but water can't get into the airbox after it splashs off the plastic. Make sure that you have and Outerwear's cover on the filter.

take the lid off and rejet....do a search for "cheap modifications" on here, you'll find a lot of good info.
    01' 416EX, 10.8:1 w/ Hot Cams stageII, LSR E-brake block off, nerf bars, renthal bars, k&n power up kit, full pro-circuit exhaust. Works triple rates w/rezzies, wild skinz shock covers, removed choke, 42 pilot, 165 main.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
    1996 Chevy Silverado Z71....
    1986 Oldsmobile 442 Nice street car, mildly built small block.
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire
    1999 KX 250
    2003 TTR 90 (pit bike)
    2002 PW 50 daughter's bike
    1984 HD Shovelhead, yes it shakes like a b****, and marks it's spot with oil everywhere we go!

Sold, but not forgotten...1987 250R. 1200 Harley Sportster Custom

I may get screamed at for saying this, but Ill say it anyway.. LOL

How much did you spend on that Jet Kit? 60-70-80 bucks? Whatever the price was, RETURN IT. In the kit, there are so many jets that you will NEVER need. Buy the jets individually as you go.
    Unless you require a Jet Kit, which includes about four extra pilot jets, four needle jets the four "Not large enough Main Jets."

...Ok, Im done now. Let us know how your beast comes together!
    No matter what you ride, its all good.
    -------------------------

2000 440EX (Sold)
    --------------------------
    2003 Polaris Predator (Sold)

Work on your suspension FIRST!!!!!!!! Ask anyone here that has aftermarket suspension...they will all tell you they wish they had done that first! I do!!!!! Get some better shocks. You may not BE faster, but i guarantee you can RIDE faster
    'ot 1 400ex
    ...MX ready
    '03 CBR 600RR
    ...yeah, its pretty fast
    '98 GTP
    ...4 door sleeper
    '95 Ranger
    ...still doin tha duty

"AHHH...Thats gonna leave a mark!"

i've been thinking 'bout the suspension thing....any suggestions on getting a better aftermarket setup? what's good & not-good?

just about anyhting you do is going to help. How much are you willing to spend? Just remember....to an exten, the more you spend, the better it will ride. First thing i would do is get a set of aftermarket shocks. They start at 350ish (Works) and go up to 1200+ (Axis). Go over to the suspension forum. There are hundreds of debates about what is best! Its your money. Spend it how you want. I really like me Elka's. But ANYTHING is going to be better than stock. I wasn't really a believer until i got my shocks. it blew my mind at how much more agressive i could ride with them!
    'ot 1 400ex
    ...MX ready
    '03 CBR 600RR
    ...yeah, its pretty fast
    '98 GTP
    ...4 door sleeper
    '95 Ranger
    ...still doin tha duty

"AHHH...Thats gonna leave a mark!"

thanks for the tips tex....i'm going over to the suspension forum.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast