Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some parents should have to take lessons.

Some parents should have to take lessons.

Some parents should either take lessons in being a parent, or try racing themselves before they put so much pressure on their kids. We found a little boy that was hurt and scared on the track, but he was more worried that his dad would be mad and never let him race again because he didn't do good enough. He couldn't move his thumb and had hit his head, but he was only worried about his dad being mad, the kid was only 7 years old. The emt's looked him over and asked if he wanted to try to keep going, he was so worried about his dad he took off, but we saw him 2 minutes latter with the track crew and the medics going back to his pit. I believe in not giving up, but not in riding hurt to make someone else happy. If his dad was a racer he would be proud no matter how he did, as long as he had fun. My boy finished 15th in the 90 limited 8-11, but i was happy that he had fun and finished in 1 piece.

Couldnt agree w/ you more. We were watching some bikes practice yesterday afternoon at a local track and there was a little boy (7-9 years old) ripping it up on a KTM. I guess his dad waved him in. When he got to the sidelines, he dad was screaming at him...pointing and yelling.
    My son doesnt have his first race until later this month but we've already mentioned time and time again (he's worried about not winning ) that it doesnt matter if he wins....as long as he enjoys it and has fun while he's out there.
    The parents at kids sports (baseball, soccer, hockey and basketball; I've witnessed them all) are far worse IMO.

this is supposed to be fun for the kids and build confidence for the coming years. IMO the parents that scream and yell at there kids and threaten them that if they don't finish and do good they will never race again is child abuse they don't lay a hand on them but hurt them mentally.

Ive brought this up before in the past and I agree 110% .

Also,to the parents thats want there kids to" live the dream" they never did or wanted to do...

GO BUY YOUR OWN QUAD AND RACE, and let your kids have fun!
    Alot of the times this kind of additude does nothing but set kids up to fee like a failure and takes all the fun away for them to the point they will lose all interest .
    Ill never forget this local bike Dad... always drunk had his Son in tears bacuase 2nd place wasnt good enough!
    I wanted to go up and hug that kid so bad and tell him good job.

Still to this day that Father is tough on his kid and although he has turned out to be a heck of a rider and still races, deep inside I wonder if hes racing for himself... or for his "Dad".
    It one thing to give them "constructive critisism " to teach them the right and wrong way to ride/race and to keep them from needless harm...
    No matter how good or bad my kids do, Im always proud of them.
    http://qjsimaging.com/

-2002 Duncan 440ex-
    Yoshimura full system,JE piston(12:1),Stage 2 Hot Cam,Port,polish, +3 Chrome Burgards AArms ,Elka Suspension -Triple rate front and Rear,GT Thunder Rev Box,,Pro Armour Nerfs,Burgard beadlock rears,Orange Fullbore,Chrome Tank cover,Candy Purple PC,Blingstar Dana Creech Bumper

2007 Suzuki LTR450
    FOX Shocks, JB Racing A-Arms, Silver Maier plastic, Quad Tech Seat Cover, BRM Offroad race numbers

2008 Raptor 250 BUILD IN PROGRESS!
    Thank you 2010 Sponsors
    and Contributers!!

Teixeira Tech,DWT, Fasstco Co., Maxima oils, Scott USA, Renthal, ODI, FLY Racing,Western Powersports, Promoto Billet, FOX Shocks,Maier Plastics,ODI,Rath Racing,ATV4-play
    ASV,Motoworks,QuadTech,Streamline,
    RockyMountain ATV,Powermadd,Les Schwab,QJ's Imaging

Re: Some parents should have to take lessons.

Originally posted by renae
    Some parents should either take lessons in being a parent, or try racing themselves before they put so much pressure on their kids. We found a little boy that was hurt and scared on the track, but he was more worried that his dad would be mad and never let him race again because he didn't do good enough. He couldn't move his thumb and had hit his head, but he was only worried about his dad being mad, the kid was only 7 years old. The emt's looked him over and asked if he wanted to try to keep going, he was so worried about his dad he took off, but we saw him 2 minutes latter with the track crew and the medics going back to his pit. I believe in not giving up, but not in riding hurt to make someone else happy. If his dad was a racer he would be proud no matter how he did, as long as he had fun. My boy finished 15th in the 90 limited 8-11, but i was happy that he had fun and finished in 1 piece.
    Somerset right? Yeah I talked to the track worker after he brought the kid back. Kid was a little guy. Said the kid was really upset about his dad not letting him race.

I had one finish 14 in 8-11 modified and one 9th in the 12-15 modified (after rolling down the hill into the woods).
    It's all about the kids:
    http://www.drb3racing.com
    Dennis Baker Jr #193
    2008 AGP 90cc Modified (12-15) Champion
    2008 GNCC 90cc Modified (12-15) 6th Place
    2007 AGP 90cc Limited (11-15) Champion
    Darren Baker #602
    2007 AGP 90cc Modified (8-11) 3rd Place
    2009 Sponsors - Pompton Honda, Scott Goggles, Powermadd, Kenda, Hetrick Racing, Rath Racing, ATV Four Play, Spider Grips, Fasst Co, Lonestar Racing, HMF, and Hiper

Re: Some parents should have to take lessons.

Originally posted by renae
    My boy finished 15th in the 90 limited 8-11, but i was happy that he had fun and finished in 1 piece.
    Is this your son?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's all about the kids:
    Dennis Baker Jr #193
    Darren Baker #602
    2009 Sponsors - Pompton Honda, Scott Goggles, Powermadd, Kenda, Hetrick Racing, Rath Racing, ATV Four Play, Spider Grips, Fasst Co, Lonestar Racing, HMF, and Hiper

yes that is my boy. It was his first race of the year. His quad has been down since May and he is not sure about our local series so we came back to the GNCC were we have been in the racing family for 10 years.

I saw some of the write ups and pics you used to do on the youth racing in the GNCC.

This is our first year in the GNCC, full season for my older son, partial for the younger one.
    It's all about the kids:
    Dennis Baker Jr #193
    Darren Baker #602

All this talk about 2nd place being okay is just ridiculous. Losing is not an option in our household. 2nd place is first loser. My daughter knows, she better not even come in second place or she better just find her own ride home, I don't care if she is 3 years old. Besides, it is one of my goals to make her cry at the races, how the heck is she supposed to get tough if every body babies her and treats her like a cream puff. I am just glad she's not in school yet, that way we don't have to home school her so that we can train 7 days a week.

I would be glad to give her a ride home after I beat your ***** and show her that you came in second in a good ol ***** wippin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast