Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12:5:1 416

12:5:1 416

I think that would be a hot setup, anyone agree? I'm thinking of going with this. But I question the reliabilty of this. What do you guys think?

Well you will HAVE to run race gas in it,,which is gonna be about $4 a gallon at the lowest..and also I've read a few times and been told by an engine builder that it could bring crank problems later down the line.

It should be a trick set up. A stronger rod would be a good idea also.
    Rico is right you will have to run race gas with that high of compression. I think race fuel varies in price through out the country because I am only paying $3 a gallon.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

With a good cam that would be real nice! But I do recommend a stronger rod also just for insurance, but with that compression you will need to run at least C-12 or C14(VP) and thats gonna set you back at least $4-5 a gallon,,,Tom recommends I run C-14 or C-14+ in mine which cost me $6.25 a gallon,,,but I wont be buying much gas anymore
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

Yea I was aware of the need to run race gas at this high of a compression, but I was not aware of the stronger rod. I am rebuilding and I think that this is the way that I am going to lean towards. Sounds good to me! What companies can I look to for a stonger rod? And cost?

I would get a Carrilo rod if I was you!! They are better than the IMS rods but are a little more expensive too!!

That high of a Compression is really hard on your Motor. I think a great setup would be a 11.5:1. Sparks can have Pistons custom made so you could do that. Sparks also has Carrilo Rods. I think the 11.5:1 would be awesome. You would still need Race Gas, but it's not so high. Talk to Sparks about it. You may want to get a Clutch kit also.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

Warriorman, your talking about Sparks here, he runs VERY high compression in all his motors!! He has been running 15:1 in his 465's on alky,,,thats rediculous!!! I dont know if he would recommend going high to most people or he just done his bikes that way so they would be the fastest out there?? But I do agree that it will be a little bettr on the motor to go with a little lower compression,,,but If it was me I would go 12.5:1,,but we all know Im power hungry and dont pay much attention to relibility sometimes!!!

Warriorman, your talking about Sparks here, he runs VERY high compression in all his motors!! He has been running 15:1 in his 465's on alky,,,thats rediculous!!! I dont know if he would recommend going high to most people or he just done his bikes that way so they would be the fastest out there?? But I do agree that it will be a little better on the motor to go with a little lower compression,,,but If it was me I would go 12.5:1,,but we all know Im power hungry and dont pay much attention to relibility sometimes!!!

Interesting. Reliability is a big must when mx racing like I do, but I'm mechanically able. Maybe that 11:5:1 wouldn't be so bad, well actually, not bad at all, I do agree thought 12:5:1 is a lot of compression and stressfull on the motor, but it sounds sooooo swaa swAA SWEET! My budget won't allow me to rebuild every season, so leaning to the reliable side is more an option. We all know Sparks is awesome, but he's a little too steep on his pricing and the long waits, I can have JE custome make the piston 11:5:1, 12:5:1, or what ever it may be. I know I want it to be a 416 or 26 though
    Last edited by ill_lil_romey; 12-03-2002 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast