Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 06 YFZ 450 motor upgrades

Hybrid View

Question 06 YFZ 450 motor upgrades

Hey guy's...just wondering what can be done to improve horsepower and torque without sacrificing a lot of reliability. The big bore kits and cam upgrades look like a good place to start..but how long will the thing hold together ?? I dont do any racing just long distance trail riding...went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket...still not enough pull.....I dont wanna go 2 because I will loose too much top end...looking to pick up mabye 20-25 horses without having to get into the motor every month.

New to 4 strokes converted from a CR250 so kinda new to the 450 motors. Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh... youre only looking to pick up 20-25 horses? no sweat...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

in all seriousness though, what all have you done so far besides the slip on exhaust?
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

If you wanna take the cheap route, get a K&N airfilter, take off the airbox lid, use "engine ice" coolant, get some hotcams, change the oil to a full synthetic. and i would change the exhuast to a full. And the reliability of what i named is top knotch but you wont gain 25 hp off what i named, but enough to feel a big diffrence.

BTW: the hotcams and the sprocket mod should be pretty good together!!
    08 MX kfx450 (building stage)

Mods

Motor is all stock...running synthetic oil and 93 sunoco fuel. Laegers +1 A-arms, guseted and powdercoated frame, DG fat series full chasis plate+swingarm plate, +1 tooth on rear sprocket, lonestar stem and clamp, tag t 2 bars, twist throttle, rath pro peg nerfs, pro armor rear bar, DG front bumper.....20-25 horses is a pretty big step up I know...just wondering whats out there without turning it into a maintinence pig

The first thing I would do that is going to prevent a lot of motor problems in the long run is the oil mod.

Then you can go with a full exhaust, Stroker Crank, Any Cams, CP High Compression Piston, MXP Head Porting, Pro Design filter kit, Airbox lid off and then get the correct jetting and it will run a lot better without sacrificing to much reliability.
    Michael Malott
    Fly Racing / WPS
    Indiana Sales Rep

you gotta crawl before you walk...

i would get a pro-design filter kit, ditch the air box lid, do the cam-mod, and get it jetted correctly... that is gunna be a pretty dang fast bike.

you said youre only doing trail riding, and honestly, i dont know why you would need more than what i listed above. the only thing i can think of is more power will make it so you dont have to shift as much, and can lug it in a higher gear... if thats really what youre shooting for, get a raptor 700...

i took mine out to the desert a couple weeks ago, and i have it back to stock original (had taken it in for some warranty work), and honestly, if i didnt go to the dunes i wouldnt really need more than what that bike has to offer stock...it is nice yes, but it isnt neccessary...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

20-25hp !!! You're looking to catapult that motor...
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

ok ok...another 25 horses looks like pushing it to the limit i guess
    Have rode with modded raptor 700 and YFZ current setup beats hands down except up top on dirt roads. So I am looking to keep the YFZ for now.....thinking about a different set of cams...air filter/airbox setup and mabye an athena big bore kit. Also was wondering if it has a forged piston in it from the factory??....sounds like it when warming up but not sure.......
    Also any feedback on a good set of cams something not too extreme but in the middle?
    And anyone running any cylinder/piston kits from athena on the YFZ?

Reliable Performance?

Any way you cut it more power equals less reliability. You want reliable, keep it stock. Otherwise, just get accustom to the idea of goin thru the motor every winter.

It's good maintenance anyhow...I'm payin for that mistake now. I'm sinkin $1700 into my motor to get her singin again. Naturally, she'll be running harder and better than before but, you really need to evaluate your riding style and, really ask if all that power is necessary.

The bikes already average around 40 hp. I don't know about the rest of you but, a reliable 65 hp YFZ don't happen everyday. Not considering the fact of what it will take to get there. I mean, we're talking new everything; stroker, big bore, carb, port/polish, cams, piston, engine modifications, full exhaust, FCI intake....the works...all for the bargin price of your left arm and leg.

I would say the "normal" thing to do is: full exhaust, intake, oil mod, HC piston, mild head work, and a set of cams. You'll get a sizeable increase in power and sacrifice minimal reliability.
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast