Thread: 06' 500 Valve Adjustment

06' 500 Valve Adjustment

How tough is this to do? I can't find my manual right now, so is it in there or do I need a different manual? I can't find anything online either.

Trevor
    06' 500 Outlaw

just did it on mine it ran like new after i did it. very simple you can get a service manaul online for the predator let me know if you want it i will take alook.

how did u know that u needed to adjust the valves? i have about 50 hours on mine now and i find the motor is getting louder. loud enough that i can hear it over the factory exhaust. Along with the pita vibration noise in the front.lol
    06 Outlaw 500 (558)
    12.5 wiseco
    hotcams
    HMF sport slip-on
    K&N filter
    PRM six pack
    Pure Polaris nerf - bumper
    39 tooth

well up here in canada when it was -10 out side the thing would not start unless it was in a heated garage and even then it was hard. that is a good sign that you might need to adjust yours. what i would do to is take your tube that goes from the air box to the carb then take off somthing so the pred wont run like the spark plug or if you dont want to take your gas tank off just take off the small wire that goes to the coil. turn the predator over and if you can feel air being push on to your hand then its time to adjust the valves

I've read to do it once a year, and not too long after break in. Mine is making ticking noises and I've been told that is what it is. I still don't know where to get a manual to do this.
    Trevor
    06' 500 Outlaw
    DG Nerf Bars, DG 6-pack rack, ITP Mudlites, Dynojet kit, K&N filter, EHS Racing air box cover, Endurance speedometer, 13 tooth

valve inspection is easy......adjusting them is also easier but more difficult/time. The main symptom is hard starting. The frequency all depends on how you ride...if youre a wide open guy and spend alot of time on the rev limiter you will have to do it more often, "leisurely" trail riding less often. The intake valves on these Fuji motors are "soft" so the will stretch fairly frequently.

here is a link to a how to for predator valve adjustment. It will be the same minus the work to get the plastics/ gas tank off.
    http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=252993
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

Originally posted by T-Bone143
    I've read to do it once a year, and not too long after break in. Mine is making ticking noises and I've been told that is what it is. I still don't know where to get a manual to do this.
    ticking noises is def valvetrain noise but is it because of the valves? it could also be a result of cam chain stretch and the tick could be the cam kissing the piston.....or even a worn tensioner.
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)