Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SANDING plastic fenders????

SANDING plastic fenders????

I was wondering?
    Has anyone ever sanded their plastic fenders with a 1000, 1500, or 2000 grit sand paper.... and then buffed??

I was wondering- i have a few scratchs that I wanted to sand them...('01 yellow) I know that will dull the plastic.... but will buffing it with wax bring the shine back to plastic like paint on a car... and STAY shiny?
    '01 Yellow 400ex-
    22" Spider Tracs rear, 23" bandit XCRs front , DuraBlue front spacers, Shockcovers, Renthal bars/pad, scott grips, 13T (F)sprocket, PRO MOTION twist throttle, vented airbox, Yoshimura Race series pipe/header, swingarm skidplate, F.T.M headlight cover, block off plate, white brothers graphics/seat cover

In the works: Lots of polishing, Powdercoated (frame, a-arms,swing arm), Aluminum airbox, polsihed wheels, custom front mount tool box

Plans: K&N, jet kit, AC propegs, front/rear bumpers, WB rev box, frame/ A-arm skids

'90 Red TRX200sx...farm beater
    moose bars, hitch, rear rack, titan trekker tires -

There is a plastic renew product kit out there that comes with sand paper and a wax or something. But what I have heard from it, it works real good .................. FOR ABOUT 2 RIDES. So Id say just stick with it. Quads are made to get used and abused. Just give her a good coat of armoral and it looks pretty good.
    - #48 2004 BLUE YFZ 450 -
    One Industries - AC nerfs - Ac Full Skid - AC Bumper - Pro Design Kill Switch - Shockpro shockcovers - PEP Chain relocator - Bullet Parking block off - Motion Pro Twist Throtle - Cam Mod -

Jetting 170 main - 48 pilot - stock needle 5th clip - fuel screw 2 and 3/4 turns - runs awesome

ye stay away from plastic renew i made that mistake

lol-
    ya.... i know its a quad and i keep tell myself that- its going to get scratched and dirty.... i just like my stuff looking clean- thats all.
    anyways- ill just live with it.. its not that bad......thanks guys
    '01 Yellow 400ex-
    22" Spider Tracs rear, 23" bandit XCRs front , DuraBlue front spacers, Shockcovers, Renthal bars/pad, scott grips, 13T (F)sprocket, PRO MOTION twist throttle, vented airbox, Yoshimura Race series pipe/header, swingarm skidplate, F.T.M headlight cover, block off plate, white brothers graphics/seat cover

In the works: Lots of polishing, Powdercoated (frame, a-arms,swing arm), Aluminum airbox, polsihed wheels, custom front mount tool box

Plans: K&N, jet kit, AC propegs, front/rear bumpers, WB rev box, frame/ A-arm skids

'90 Red TRX200sx...farm beater
    moose bars, hitch, rear rack, titan trekker tires -

If you want your plastic to shine use the Wisk Solution(matience forum- clean that S.O.B up) to clean it and then go over it with WD-40 and a rag. It makes the quad look just like new!!

STAY AWAT FOR PLASTIOC RENEW. WHEN I SANDED MINE WITH THE PAPER THEY GAVE ME IT WAS COOL BUT AFTER ONE RIDE I HAD BIG WHITE FADING MARKS FROM WERE I SANDED!! THERE STILL THERE AND I REGRET DOING THAT!! DO GET IT.

An age old trick that works great is Mop and Glow lenolium floor wax. It is a cheap fix that lasts for about 3 to 5 rides. When I bought my 250R the plastic was brown so I tried to wet sand it. That made it look horrible. I then tried Plastic Renew and got the white streaks after it got wet. Then a buddy of min the races told me to use Mop and Glow and I thought he was crazy. I was suprised to find out that it actually works.

Also to make the mud come off the underside of your fenders and frame a little easier you can spray it with pledge. this trick works also.
    86 TRX 250R
    89 Hotrod long rod kit,Ohton Racing Level 3 porting & head modifications,
    R.E.D modified RAD Valve and Carb,
    ESR TRX5 Centermount Pipe & Silencer,
    ESR Air box eliminator,
    Web http://sandboxtoys.tripod.com

Yes,
    i agree mop'n glow works good. but i have been using mop'glow and armoral when it drys looks new!!

Talking SANDING plastic fenders????

wisk and mopnglo works!!!!!:devil

use a razor blade to get some of the heavy scratches out.lightly scrape the surface like this( / blade down & lightly scrape to the right)or vise versa,then go over it with some mop n glow.i don't know why people use armor all and wd40,i tried it,it makes look good,but it also makes the dirt and dust stick to it. the mop n glow makes a brighter shine, better shine,dirt doesn't stick to it and it helps protect the plastic from getting scratched everyone has their poison i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast