Thread: whats the difference between these 2 chains

whats the difference between these 2 chains

whats the difference between a 520 chain and a #50 chain nobody i have talked to knows. they are both the same length, width, the pins are the same but there has to be some sort of diiference but what thanks in advance

#50 chain is a bit wider, but thats it. ive ran it on a few bikes of mine, it works good but just check your case clearance and stuff like that. i think it holds up better too. and one big reason i used em because they were free
    87 Suzuki LT500R- January 2012 QOTM

87 Suzuki LT500r- mainly stock

The #50 size is an ANSI standard for chains. Chains labeled as such are generally intended for industrial or non-specific mechanical applications.

Motorcycle chains have their own specific sizing system. A chain labeled with 428, 520, 530, etc would be specifically manufactured for motorcycles.

A #50 has the same dimensions as a 530 motorcycle chain. Chances are it doesn't have quite as high a tensile strength rating as even a 520 moto chain though. Moto chains are typically made with better materials then a generic-use industrial chain.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

thanks guys