Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can i make my 400ex faster then an ltr 450 ???

lol whooo!

i agree it is the rider...99% of it...
    the guy on the 450r i ran against wasn't as good as i am...and i have ran against tons of other 450 and just the same...

now i love the 400 set up over everything else i have ridden...that is why i put in the 500 motor because i like that frame...now i can trail ride at 90+ and drag...problem solved....
    1947 Buick Road Master-For Sale

Ughhh.

These debates always come up. Here's my view on things.

The 400ex is a great handling, nimble, timid trail quad. The reason people build them up is because of their chassis. Like I said, in stock form, the engine is very timid and mellow. That being said, you can turn them into monster's.

A WELL-BUILT 440 or 460 stroker can really run. But, I view it as, if your goal is to build a high-powered race quad, and piped and jetted 450 of any brand is the equivelance of a built 400ex. So, if you plan on racing, I would still stay the 450 route. Most pro's race bikes are pushing 60-65hp. Im sorry, but you're not going to get that out of a 400ex without nitrous.

I view the 400ex as a fun, nimble weekend warrior trail quad. While, being a great amatuer MX quad. You can get them to handle really good, but not go quite as fast, unless your comparing them to a piped 450.

Right now, I am plenty satisfied. I own two of my favorite quads The only think I would ditch the 400ex for is a raptor 700, but it's not like something Im desperate to do.
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

Re: can i make my 400ex faster then an ltr 450 ???

Originally posted by grispin23
    i need to know what to do to my 400ex to make it go faster then a ltr 450 ?

Ok.......bottom line, I'm not going to say what you need if it's for a drag race. MX racing is different, you'll need a competitive engine at least (426cc). With porting, FCR carb, and a good exhaust. Then you need +2 a-arms with good suspension and a rear revalve and a GT thunder or Elka link. Few other odds & ends and you'll have a LTR killer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123