Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: can i make my 400ex faster then an ltr 450 ???

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ringgolld GA
    Posts
    1,984
    its mostly rider. i can keep up with ltr's all day long on the jumps and whoops but once theres a nice straight away they alway pass me. i figure when i get the 440 kit, i can keep up on the straight aways and end up passing them on the rhytm section and such

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chi town burbs, IL
    Posts
    4,246
    Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
    I cant stand the whole thing when people say dont try to make the EX faster save up for the R. Maybe we like the looks, handling, and maintainance better than a 450 so we keep the great 400ex and build it up. Its mostly rider too. I cant count how many 450's ,banshees, z400's w/e i have beaten in different types of racing when I drag the 450 it kills me but on the track or trails theres no difference its the better rider. Drag racing Banshees and such I was clearly the better rider even though they had 4-5 times the amount of money I have in mods. Its all about knowing the machine and what feels best. Give a guy a quad with more mods, more power, more traction and you can still win because he may not be the best guy at riding or knowing the machine. On the other hand if you are equal riders or pretty close chances are you wont win. 440 stroker was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Race any 450 unless they had port work and bored, with the addition to the normal mods (exhaust, intake, cam) and they would lose. I mean 86MPH... I rode it and I couldnt believe th power it had. 1st through 5th it pulled just as hard as the gear before until it bounces off the rev limiter it was amazing.
    I agree with ya on that. As much as I "try" to like the 450 quads, they just don't do it for me. I don't want to be another kid that gets the newest quad out just cause it's the quad to have at the time.

    I realize the 450's give you an excellent powerplant to start from vs. a 400EX, but that doesn't make the 400EX uncompetitive at the same time.

    I absolutely love the 400EX's handling, it's one of the most balanced quads out there. Reliability is great even when fully modded. Maintenence is easy, it is a very well-designed quad that is simple to work on...you can't say the same for some 450 quads.

    Looks, while seemingly superficial are also important to me. I cannot for the life of me get myself to like the spaceship looks of the new 450's today....the 450R is the most normal and even then i'm not crazy about it vs. the 400EX.

    I modded the crap out of my motor because I love my quad and have put my heart and soul into it. I wanted it to stay competitive with the new 450's.

    Any rider that is used to your run-of-the-mill 400EX will be blown away at how much torque this motor package makes......and that's pulling a big 16T countershaft sprocket to boot! There's countless 400EX owners running 14T and even 13T front sprockets.....I couldn't even imagine running that, it just wouldn't work...i'd be in each gear for a split second before i'd have to shift. I may go back to a 15T but it's a little more "revvy" for my tastes. Who knows, I may switch back just to get it to haul the mail that much harder

    I'm happy just how it is for now
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

    05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    trenton ontario canada
    Posts
    220
    hey was just wondering where can u get the super cooler oil cooler i dont mean to "high jack" the thread just want to make thee ol 400ex run cooler thanks
    2004 CRF450R
    FMF powercore 4
    UFO plastics(Black)

    01 400ex (TRADED FOR 04 CRF450R)
    440 kit 11/1 comp
    stage 2 hotcam
    +2 1 up asr a arms
    +4 rpm axle
    +3.5 g force hubs
    billet 450r bearing carrier
    dg xxcelerator full system
    armadillo off road skid plates
    pro armor nerf bars
    itp pro 9 series/holeshots hds
    450r front shocks

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chi town burbs, IL
    Posts
    4,246
    Originally posted by blankenship
    hey was just wondering where can u get the super cooler oil cooler i dont mean to "high jack" the thread just want to make thee ol 400ex run cooler thanks
    Got it from www.Deserttoyzatv.com a few years ago....I don't know if they still make the kit, give them a call
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

    05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nor*Cal
    Posts
    442
    Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
    I cant stand the whole thing when people say dont try to make the EX faster save up for the R. Maybe we like the looks, handling, and maintainance better than a 450 so we keep the great 400ex and build it up. Its mostly rider too. I cant count how many 450's ,banshees, z400's w/e i have beaten in different types of racing when I drag the 450 it kills me but on the track or trails theres no difference its the better rider. Drag racing Banshees and such I was clearly the better rider even though they had 4-5 times the amount of money I have in mods. Its all about knowing the machine and what feels best. Give a guy a quad with more mods, more power, more traction and you can still win because he may not be the best guy at riding or knowing the machine. On the other hand if you are equal riders or pretty close chances are you wont win. 440 stroker was the fastest thing I have ever ridden. Race any 450 unless they had port work and bored, with the addition to the normal mods (exhaust, intake, cam) and they would lose. I mean 86MPH... I rode it and I couldnt believe th power it had. 1st through 5th it pulled just as hard as the gear before until it bounces off the rev limiter it was amazing.
    sorry to tell you this.. but if you want to drag i would go save aup for a 450.. 400s are more like trail quads to me.. odnt ge tme wrong i love it. it jsut requires t much money to make it run the way i want it to. i am saving up fora 450 atm.. but im keepin ma 400
    RIDE AS IF YOU WOULD LIVE FOREVER BUT DIE TOMMAROW...

    Wisco 440 Big bore
    Yoshimura RS3 Carbon Full
    K&N
    G4 Rev Box
    Tusk Handle Bars
    John Natalie Victory Bling Star Bumper[black]
    Tusk Off-Road Nerfs [black]

  6. #16
    Guest
    Originally posted by red_rider_069
    sorry to tell you this.. but if you want to drag i would go save aup for a 450.. 400s are more like trail quads to me.. odnt ge tme wrong i love it. it jsut requires t much money to make it run the way i want it to. i am saving up fora 450 atm.. but im keepin ma 400
    why sorry to tell me? I said a 450 would kill me in a drag.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nor*Cal
    Posts
    442
    Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
    why sorry to tell me? I said a 450 would kill me in a drag.
    lol didnt mean to quote anyone.. wasn't paying attention .. lol my bad
    RIDE AS IF YOU WOULD LIVE FOREVER BUT DIE TOMMAROW...

    Wisco 440 Big bore
    Yoshimura RS3 Carbon Full
    K&N
    G4 Rev Box
    Tusk Handle Bars
    John Natalie Victory Bling Star Bumper[black]
    Tusk Off-Road Nerfs [black]

  8. #18
    Guest
    oh lol

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Navarre, Ohio
    Posts
    795
    If your a talented rider, you can beat an LTR on an MX track, trust me, Iv done it first hand. Its not always about the bike man.
    -Live to ride, Ride to live-



    05 450r

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chi town burbs, IL
    Posts
    4,246
    Originally posted by skatrdude20
    If your a talented rider, you can beat an LTR on an MX track, trust me, Iv done it first hand. Its not always about the bike man.
    Really depends on the type of track too. If there's a lot of wide open sections, a lightly modded 400 won't hang with a 450 too well. If the track is tighter, then it's gonna be more about rider/skill than what you got in the motor.
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

    05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •