Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO- Sparks Advance Key Installation

I guess if a person was thinking ahead they could crank the flywheel til the "t" mark lines up at TDC, remove stock key, install the new advance key, turn flywheel gently to the left to index the flywheel with the new key (without turning over motor) and place the cover back on temporarily
    Then mark the flywheel thru the sight plug for a new timing mark with a marker, remove cover and lightly file a new "advanced" t mark in the flywheel.
    Wish I would have thought about this before installing mine.
    Anybody do this or something similiar?
    '03 400ex - yellow
    Full White bros. e-series
    Blingstar Victory Bumper & DC Racer Nerfs
    450R shocks
    ECAtv twinrow carrier
    K&N, outerwears, cut lid w/ outerwears cover, Razr 2's(22ft/20rr)
    Renthal/PD 14/38, PD Gold x-ring
    Pro Armor swgarm skid
    ?? chassis skid
    Renthal RC high Fatbar
    Rox 2" Pivoting Riser
    Powermadd handguards, Spider SLT Grips
    Choke removed, Sparks +6 Timing key,
    White bros PB blockoff
    ----------------------------
    450r carb/zrpilot adapter awaiting installation

Installed my key yesterday evening after work. Thanks for the write-up Tri5! With this write up and the one in the 'articles' section, it made the install a snap. MUCH better than the instructions that come w/ the key.

Mcwilly,
    I'm glad it was helpful for you.

would a rex box do the same thing
    400ex 05
    250ex 06
    420rancher07
    harley roadking 04
    DOG
    Kung Fu kitty

Originally posted by jrafter
    would a rex box do the same thing
    No.

Man, with write-ups like this, (and ebay!) who needs the dealership?!? Got my key and gasket in the mail yesterday. Put it in after work today! Took no time at all....thanx Tri5ron! Cant' wait to see what it does!
    2002 406ex (fan cooled), 10:1 Wiseco piston, stage 2 HC,, Hot Rods crank, Edelbrock QS Carb, AMR monster coil, Sparks advance timing key, K&N Filter and box top w/ outerwear, Lexx slip-on, 14f and 37r sprockets, Ohlins shocks all around, Full Flight +2+1 arms, Fasst Flexx bars, ASV levers, Jimmy John's CNC St. stabilizer!!!!, 3rd stock steering stem, Holeshot HD's w/ blk. ITP rims, Pro Armor skids, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Pro Armor XC front bumper, Maier black plastics, DG headlamp, one crazy motha aiming it!! (who now has a broken collarbone!)

Originally posted by blaaze416
    Man, with write-ups like this, (and ebay!) who needs the dealership?!? Got my key and gasket in the mail yesterday. Put it in after work today! Took no time at all....thanx Tri5ron! Cant' wait to see what it does!
    i'm curious to hear how it runs with the 406 10:1 because thats my next setup when my rings go and stuff.

Well, I'm going riding tomorrow, I'll post up when I get back. I can't wait! I started it up today to let it warm up (and bake the high temp black paint I sprayed onto my head pipe while I waited for parts) and revved it a few times, and it seemed to want to rev quicker and almost lighter (more repsonse?).. though I did have the airbox off, it's been running rich and it was cool. From what I heard it's supposed to be fine for a 406 with up to but not including a 12:1 piston. I may take out the stg 2 cam and swap the stocker back in to see if it works any better with my 406 10:1. I'll proly reply again after that little experiment.
    2002 406ex (fan cooled), 10:1 Wiseco piston, stage 2 HC,, Hot Rods crank, Edelbrock QS Carb, AMR monster coil, Sparks advance timing key, K&N Filter and box top w/ outerwear, Lexx slip-on, 14f and 37r sprockets, Ohlins shocks all around, Full Flight +2+1 arms, Fasst Flexx bars, ASV levers, Jimmy John's CNC St. stabilizer!!!!, 3rd stock steering stem, Holeshot HD's w/ blk. ITP rims, Pro Armor skids, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Pro Armor XC front bumper, Maier black plastics, DG headlamp, one crazy motha aiming it!! (who now has a broken collarbone!)

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
    I guess if a person was thinking ahead they could crank the flywheel til the "t" mark lines up at TDC, remove stock key, install the new advance key, turn flywheel gently to the left to index the flywheel with the new key (without turning over motor) and place the cover back on temporarily
    Then mark the flywheel thru the sight plug for a new timing mark with a marker, remove cover and lightly file a new "advanced" t mark in the flywheel.
    Wish I would have thought about this before installing mine.
    Anybody do this or something similiar?
    Thought about your post while I was out in the garage doing this, and I came to the conclusion that it would be safer for me to just check through the plug hole for TDC instead. I mean usually when I'm checking for TDC, I'm adjusting my vavles and have the front end off anyhow...

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
    i'm curious to hear how it runs with the 406 10:1 because thats my next setup when my rings go and stuff.
    Well, after three minutes of riding....my chain broke! literally three minutes. So we'll both have to wait til later this week til I can make it back out.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast