Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: HOW TO- Sparks Advance Key Installation

you can run up to a 426 with 11:1 without having to go with any cooling upgrades (i.e. bigger oil cooler, spal fan,)

I hate to play devils advocate again buuuuttttt.

This key is over-rated. It's not as cheap as most say, plus you have to put some labor into it.

Bang for the buck doesn't include gaskets and 2 hours of garage time.

I know we all love to work on our quads, but i'm just saying, although the part is small and little it takes some time to get it in the quad.

I would rather take my 2 hours and put it towards a new 426 kit with 11:1 compression, that would pep the whole thing up! more power not just more throttle response!

don't the rev boxes have advanced timing curves? they are a bit more expensive but they are just plug and play.

Originally posted by 2001400exrida
    you can run up to a 426 with 11:1 without having to go with any cooling upgrades (i.e. bigger oil cooler, spal fan,)
    yes, but if you run slower speeds on trail type riding, with lower airflow, you WILL run the risk of significantly higher temps, as well as, at 11:1 compression you will ALSO run the risk of detonation on anything under 91 octane.

I hate to play devils advocate again buuuuttttt.
    This key is over-rated. It's not as cheap as most say, plus you have to put some labor into it.

Bang for the buck doesn't include gaskets and 2 hours of garage time.

.$50 bux is not cheap? but you'll happily drop many more hundreds of dollars on a exhaust that will result in a mere1 to 2 hp? And Labor required? seriously? you have to remove the side cover and flywheel and reinstall. why would that take 2 hours? Besides, if you read the post, you would see that the very first thing I refer to reguarding the key, is that it is the best bang for your buck on a internally stock engine. There ae PLENTY of people on this thread, and on this forum who will gladly support that iea with their own experiences and satisactions. your statements/arguments, are all out of context, to the original intent, of my last post.

I know we all love to work on our quads, but i'm just saying, although the part is small and little it takes some time to get it in the quad.

.So what ? because it is small, you'd expect to just drop it into the fuel tank or something?

I would rather take my 2 hours and put it towards a new 426 kit with 11:1 compression, that would pep the whole thing up! more power not just more throttle response!

And are you suggesting that is ALL you'd need to do, and everhing will be happy and wonderful?, no expensive exhaust or intake?, no hours and hours of rejetting and trial and error of frustration?... plug and play power with nothing else to consider?,... I think not.

don't the rev boxes have advanced timing curves? they are a bit more expensive but they are just plug and play.So admitting the rev boxes are more expensive yet them being "Plug and play" as you claim is ok now?, What you seem to be leaving out here is the fact that that 400ex, BY DESIGN, ...CAN NOT BENEFIT from the added 1000 rpm limit, due to it makes all of it's USEABLE power WELL BELOW the factory rexbox limits. this means that you are wasting your money to gain nothing of benefit to this particular machine,.... The 400EX..

Obviously, you and I DO have some similarities,... in that we are both opinionated on the subject.
    I think where we greatly differ is context, and research.

You really do need to go back and re-read my original post to understand the intent and context of my suggestions to the person asking the questions.

Also do some seaching on the subjects of compression increases, head studs, riding styles, rev boxes, oil coolers, intended useages of each rider, spal fans, airflow, bore sizes, compression ratios, Cost vs.Gains, and overall performance inhancements of the 400EX, with what does and DOES NOT work well.

All of these subjects have been extensiely covered many times over, by people much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself, who have tried and proved, or disproved the claims and benefits of everything that has been mentioned or imagined.

Research is Knowledge, Knowledge is Power, Experience is Priceless.

I'll have my towrope and a bottle of cold water, ready for you, if you are thirsty, and need a lift back to camp.
    I'm always willing to lend a hand to someone in need.

haha i can do without the tow rope my quads run great.

does the rev box change the timing curve too? i hear it not only allows it to rev higher but it gives it more pop too.

I have had both a rev box and a +6 key and the +4 I've been running for over a year.

The key offers much better gains, is less than 1/2 the price, and doesn't sacrifice reliability when set up correctly. I ran a rev box for a couple months, re-installed the stocker and sold the rev box.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

'hey wheelie pm sent
    '99 402ex

*Best way to get your question answered is SEARCHING for it*

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617