Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparks Timing Key with Bigger Bore and Higher Compression

Sparks Timing Key with Bigger Bore and Higher Compression

I am interested in the Sparking +6 Timing Key to maybe up my compression a tad bit more. I am running .040 over bore 86mm or 406 with 10:1 compression. I also have a stage 2 cam. I know they do not advise to use with higher compression or bigger bore. Just trying to see if anyone has tried the key with a small upgrade on bore size and compression and if it was at all beneficial or if it hurt the motor.
    '99 402ex

*Best way to get your question answered is SEARCHING for it*

that would be excellent for your setup!! under 11:1 there is nothing bad with the key... just goods!!
    416 CP 12.5:1, Hotcam stg 3, H2H mid P&P, Race-cut valves, FCR 40 H2H dual spray venturi jet, Flywheel lightened 13.3oz, Cometic gaskets, Roll Design +2+1, DS450x FS, Eyeballs +2 stem, GPR stabilizer, LSR Axel & Carrier, misc parts...

Re: Sparks Timing Key with Bigger Bore and Higher Compression

Originally posted by sheweezy
    I am interested in the Sparking +6 Timing Key to maybe up my compression a tad bit more. I am running .040 over bore 86mm or 406 with 10:1 compression. I also have a stage 2 cam. I know they do not advise to use with higher compression or bigger bore. Just trying to see if anyone has tried the key with a small upgrade on bore size and compression and if it was at all beneficial or if it hurt the motor.
    They advise you not change compression and bore, because the key advances the timing which generates more heat. When you add compression and bore size, it generates more heat. You can run 11:1 with a Sparks Key, but you will need to use race fuel, A.K.A high octane... 100+.
    2000 Honda TRX400EX ( MX Setup )
    2006 Suzuki LTR450 ( Stock )
    1986 Suzuki LT-250R ( Stock )
    2001 Kawasaki KX250 ( MX Setup )
    2004 Kawasaki KX85 ( Playin Bike )
    199? Yamaha PW80 ( Pit Bike )
    2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330
    1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220

Proud owner of more than 38 internal combustion engines!!!

Support our troops and we will support you!!! HOOAH!!!

Assist, Protect, Defend!!! Military Police!!

Wheelie (a member here) makes +3 keys which are more high comp friendly than the +6.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

Originally posted by bkelley
    Wheelie (a member here) makes +3 keys which are more high comp friendly than the +6.
    Still need to use 100 or a mix according to wheelie last time I asked.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Originally posted by CJM
    Still need to use 100 or a mix according to wheelie last time I asked.
    Depends on the compression, I think. I thought he said 11:1 with a +3 key is premium pump safe. I could be wrong, though.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

Originally posted by bkelley
    Depends on the compression, I think. I thought he said 11:1 with a +3 key is premium pump safe. I could be wrong, though.
    I was going to do the +3 key, he told me 11:1 needs 100 octane still.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Then it was 10:1 and the +3 key for pump premium. Eventually I'm going to go with a 11:1 and the +3 and run E85.
    '05 TRX400EX:

Originally posted by sneaky11
    that would be excellent for your setup!! under 11:1 there is nothing bad with the key... just goods!!
    X2

okay! thanks for the info.. i am about to start my rebuild this weekend and was gunna run the 04-05 450r carb.. how bad is the heating issue if i went with the +6 key? something in the need of upgraded oil coolers and reservoir or just in need of a better octane fuel? wanted to keep the lower compression to keep from having to upgraded studs and cooling... and about the +3 key does anyone know the thread i could find about wheelie's key or get in touch with him?
    '99 402ex

*Best way to get your question answered is SEARCHING for it*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast