Thread: '85 ATC 250R - Should I replace the top end?

'85 ATC 250R - Should I replace the top end?

I just walked in from the garage where I currently have the head off of my '85 ATC 250R. I took the head off because I notice a small coolant leak coming from the back of the head when I really had the throttle pinned. I was going to just replace the head gasket but now I'm not sure if I should just go all the way.

The top of the piston is black with a lot of carbon deposit on it. There are relatively large flakes laying on top of the piston. I believe it is due to the last owner because he ran it at 20:1 with a synthetic oil which in my opinion is way too rich. I further believe this because the plug that was in the bike when I bought it was black and oily. I then changed the mix ratio and jetting and the plugs are now cocoa brown.

The question is, should I put in a new piston/rings? Should I also bore the cylinder to make sure I have a good fresh cylinder?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    '85 ATC 250R
    '91 TRX 250X
    '85 TRX 250
    '70 CT 70 Trailbike

can you afford it

lol,if it has never been apart im sure it would be a good idea,did you happen to do a compression test?these two things play a major factor,especialy the first one.....lol
    88 TRX 250R
    ESR 310,TRX6,38mmAIRSTRYKER
    ROLL DESIGN, CUSTOM AXIS

I haven't had it apart yet because I only own it for 2 months.

The guy before me rebuilt it about 1.5 years ago.

I didn't compression test it because I didn't intend to even consider a rebuild. I only intended to put a new head gasket on.
    '85 ATC 250R
    '91 TRX 250X
    '85 TRX 250
    '70 CT 70 Trailbike

If the motor felt ok before ,i would put a new gasket in and do a compresion test to see where she's at.If your happy with it and its ok then put some more hours on it and when its time to tear down get a good port job when you do the top end,you will be happy. By the way what kind of head gasket was in there?
    88 TRX 250R
    ESR 310,TRX6,38mmAIRSTRYKER
    ROLL DESIGN, CUSTOM AXIS