Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caliper disassembly/reassembly "How To"

Just did one of my fronts. Its not hard at all, make sure you clean the O ring grove out really well, and oil the cylinder before reinsertion. GL
    01',Uni,Lexx,155/42,6 Degrees,speedo,sbs brakes

Sport Quads all the way, if I wanted to drive a tank I would have joined the army.

seal

i tried rebuilding my rear caliper before and everything went great until i tried putting the seal on the float pin. i couldn't get it to set into the groove right or something cuz it just kept pushing out when i would screw the pin in ....is there a trick to this or just luck?
    2004 trx450r

Thanks to 2010 Sponsors: Pro Armor, Amsoil, Delp Powder coating, Mark TK Welding, Hinson clutch components, Fasst Flexx Company, O'Neal, Utopia Optics, Hot Cams, DBY Motorsports, Go Pro, Fuel, GT Thunder, and SRH.

Re: seal

Originally posted by nskukalek79
    i tried rebuilding my rear caliper before and everything went great until i tried putting the seal on the float pin. i couldn't get it to set into the groove right or something cuz it just kept pushing out when i would screw the pin in ....is there a trick to this or just luck?
    If you over grease it, it will pop off.
    01',Uni,Lexx,155/42,6 Degrees,speedo,sbs brakes

Sport Quads all the way, if I wanted to drive a tank I would have joined the army.

i rebuilt my rear caliper on my 400ex today. wasnt bad at all actually. saved myself about 80 bucks for labor at the honda dealership.. but my question to anyone here is...... when i put it back together. the busing pin is sliding back and forth. i dont remember if it was doing that when i took it apart. is that normal or did i do somehing wrong. or will it be better once it is bolted back up to the quad?

I went to put new pads on the front on my 400ex but the slide pins are frozen and i can't get them to budge.
    any ideas on how to get the bolts loose

great writeup. i think i found this weekends project as my rear brakes have damn near stopped working. i plan on changing the brake fluid in mine aswell. can i simply pop out the brake pads with the brake line on the caliper and pump the rear brake to get the piston out? or is it better to blow air through it?

i just rebuilt my rear caliper but for some reason it still doesnt work the brake pedal stays down when you push it down and the piston wont put any pressure on the pad
    97 300ex for sale
    2000 trx 90 mini sold
    and soon to come 400ex or 450r!

Here is a little tip - when you take out the rubber seals you're gunna find a crapload of corrosion. Take your blowtorch and lightly play the flame around inside the caliper cavity. You don't need to get it super hot.

This will turn about 95% of the corrosion to powder which will be much easier to scrape out and remove.

I also cut small 'tabs' of sandpaper a lil bigger then the tip of my index finger to clean the areas the piston slides on throughly ... you wanna make it shine.

I redid my TRX calipers yesterday and the amount of corrosion under the seals and inside the caliper shocked me. No wonder my pistons were not travelling in and out like they should.

Now - smooth as butter.
    82 300R ATC & 86 250R TRX
    Classic video & Interviews with the old Pro's of the 80's @ www.airfoolers.com

More high-definition TRX250R videos than you can handle + vintage ATC & TRX racing @ www.youtube.com/airfoolersdotcom ... check it out!

it turns out that my caliper housing was cracked and let out the pressure when i pressed on the pedal so i bought a use one on craigslist for 10 bucks and rebuit it. and it deffinately helps if you take out all of the corrosion and get it super clean.
    97 300ex for sale
    2000 trx 90 mini sold
    and soon to come 400ex or 450r!

Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
    great thread but you forgot one more seal. the infamous leak in the back of the read caliper. theres a seal where the pb is used. plenty of them leak after time. its just a tiny o ring though. a little pain to get to though.
    mine was leaking from there
    2000 400ex
    hot cam stage 1
    hot rods crank
    .25 over bore
    5inch extended swingarm
    baja front plastics
    k&n
    185 jet

1983 200x
    .50 over bore
    maier plastics