Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caliper disassembly/reassembly "How To"

I just did this over the weekend. Just started unbolting stuff on the caliper to take it apart. The caliper slide pins were frozen up.

Isn't there suppose to be a pad on the piston?
    2004 450r full exhaust hmf k&n cut air box lid pro armor race nerfs 185 main 50 pilot 2 1/2 turns on a/f screw

yes there should be, but it runs about a 50/50 shot of being there when I get them in here
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

nice walkthrough..

just went through all this on a warrior a friend and i are resurrecting for my son.

they had lived a hard, non-maintained life.. one was allowed to pass on to the afterlife..

great thread but you forgot one more seal. the infamous leak in the back of the read caliper. theres a seal where the pb is used. plenty of them leak after time. its just a tiny o ring though. a little pain to get to though.
    440ex
    stage 2 hot cams
    42 pilot 170 main
    choke removed
    motoworks sr4 slip on, sounds so good
    hd cam chain
    rockin the twist throttle
    itp blackwaters(bleh)holeshots mxr6 soon!
    outwear filter cover, 6 1'' uni filters
    custom black frame and yellow a arms swing arm and hubs

Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
    great thread but you forgot one more seal. the infamous leak in the back of the read caliper. theres a seal where the pb is used. plenty of them leak after time. its just a tiny o ring though. a little pain to get to though.
    It was omitted due to the fact it rarely ever has to be replaced, but you are correct, it is there

There is another part to this subject when you are dealing with 20-plus year old machines like I have. Eventually, the caliper will seize at one of two places. Either the slide pin that the caliper floats on will freeze up in it's bore or the piston(s) will. The cause is corrosion. The slide pin is steel and the caliper is aluminum. The two different metals don't like each other and they will lock together after a couple decades of no maintenance. What you will find when you have a piston seizure is aluminum oxide(rust) in the seal grooves. The oxide grows to the point that it starts pushing the seals out of their grooves and tightly against the piston. Eventually the piston goes out during a brake application and won't return. This results in pads quickly worn away, then the rotor ruined by grinding against the backing plate. The good news is both problems can be fixed by cleaning out the corrosion and replacing the seals.
    '85 ATC250R
    .030 Over Wiseco
    FMF Pipe/Answer silencer
    36PJ Keihin
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Roost Boost
    Answer bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

I put pads in a 300ex 04'. not sure how to adjust them. Its seems that the pads have pressure on them like the brakes are on? Its the rear brake. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by sunco
    I put pads in a 300ex 04'. not sure how to adjust them. Its seems that the pads have pressure on them like the brakes are on? Its the rear brake. Any thoughts?
    You need to compress the piston fully before installing the pads.

great how to and pics. Should help alot of people that were kinda intimidated by something that is fairly simple

Do you take how to requests? lol

400ex rear caliper, seized.......

I took my rear caliper apart on my 400 today. Its seized. It shouldnt be hard to rebuild it i hope, correct? Im being told that to have it rebuilt im looking at over 100 bucks. I can get the parts for around 25 bucks. Any imput would be great guys............

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast