Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make your own air box lid pre-filter (step by step)

Talking How to make your own air box lid pre-filter (step by step)

NOTE: This was first posted in the 400EX section, but I had some people over they mention that I should post it here for everyone else to see. Also, I'm sure this will work for other quads, not just the 400EX, you just have to see if EHS makes the filter and then order it. Make sure you tell them that you just want standard shipping, so that will save you a little bit more. Take your time and you'll be fine. Thanks for reading this. Any questions, please ask!

Max

I'm cheap. I don't like to spend money on stuff unless I really have to. So, when I saw the EHS air box pre-filter I thought I could make one myself. I ordered the filter from EHS (since that is the hard part to try and make a filter) and then went to work. If you are handy you should be able to do this with out much problem. Just take your time and be careful. The only thing that I needed on hand was a sheet of thin aluminum and some bolts, washers and lock-washers. The filter from EHS only cost $17.00 for regular mail.

NOTE: Here is a link to a .PDF that I made of my template, so now all you need to do is print it out and cut it carefully.
    ---LINK---
    http://www.maxfior.com/atv/400EX/MOD...X_template.pdf (right click as save it to your desktop or where ever)
    ---LINK---
    ---

Here is the sheet that I used, you want to make sure that it is the right size.
    ---

Filter looks like it'll fit nice. Now it's time to make a template, I used an old folder that I found lying around. Just take your time with this.
    ---

Looks good, now it's time to cut the middle out...
    ---

When using trusty razor blade make sure you be careful... You don't want to cut your fingers or face off... Then you won't be able to pull wicked hole shots in the summer time!
    ---

Now with the middle out you can work on tracing to the metal sheet. Tape it in place and then get out the marker.
    ---

Trace away...
    ---

After the trace job, clamp that sucker down and get out a 1/4 inch drill bit for making the holes. You'll also want to pop a hole at an edge for getting the scroll saw started...
    ---

Holes drilled.
    ---

Hole to start the middle cut with your scroll saw.
    ---

Middle cut out, now it's time for the sides...
    ---

Take your time when cutting out the rest... Make sure to re-position everything when cutting and clamp it down really well so that vibration is kept to a minimum.
    ---

The cutting is finished and then I made sure to clean any sharp edges off... Don't want to cut anything...
    ---

After the sharp edges were removed I then clamped the metal to the air box so that I could punch 1/4 holes properly.
    ---

I also made a hole in the middle to start the saw... Now I carefully cut out the middle. Taking my time...
    ---

Now that the middle is removed I clean the burrs off and get ready to assemble everything. Make sure that you use good bolts with washers on each side with a lock washer on the inside before the nut.
    ---

Finished product... Looks pretty okay if I do say so myself... Now with the money I saved I can go buy some lunch, I'm hungry...
    ---

Bottom view.
    ---

Ready for action!
    ----------
    Any questions, please ask! This might not be for everyone, but I like to make things when I can. Good luck!

Max
    "King for a day, fool for a lifetime"
    2005 400EX
    • ITP XCR's
    • HMF Slip-on (black)
    • Uni Filter | #42 Pilot Jet / #155 Main Jet | Custom Made Air Box Lid
    • Pro Armor A-Arm Guards & XC Bumper | 06 black seat.
    ----Trucks----
    1994 Yota Pickup 4X4 - 22RE (rebuilt)
    1987 Ford F350 Flat Bed (460 4spd)
    ----Scary 3wheelers----
    1984 110
    1985 110
    (3) 1985 200s
    1985 250SX (mint)
    ----Other Junk----
    1972 ST90 (SOLD )
    1974 CT90 (yikes)
    1980 XT250 (needs valve job)
    1981 XR250R (yikes)
    1993 CR250R (old race bike)
    2005 400EX
    2005 BXM 107cc mini (fun/dangerous)
    2008 Honda 420 Rancher | Douglas Spyders with 25 inch Big Horns

This is a great "how to" and an excellent way to significantly increase airflow to the motor at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket airbox lid. I would recommend bumping the pilot and main jet up one size. This would go perfectly with an aftermarket exhaust mod to really maximize airflow and increase performance.

Originally posted by hornetgod13
    This is a great "how to" and an excellent way to significantly increase airflow to the motor at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket airbox lid. I would recommend bumping the pilot and main jet up one size. This would go perfectly with an aftermarket exhaust mod to really maximize airflow and increase performance.
    Thanks for spreading the word!

Max
    2005 400EX
    • ITP XCR's
    • HMF Slip-on (black)
    ----Trucks----
    ----Scary 3wheelers----
    1984 110
    1985 110
    (3) 1985 200s
    1985 250SX (mint)
    ----Other Junk----
    1972 ST90 (SOLD )
    1974 CT90 (yikes)
    1981 XR250R (yikes)
    2005 400EX

Looking good! Are you still running the filter inside the box?
    Duner Central . com

Originally posted by djguestone
    Looking good! Are you still running the filter inside the box?
    Yeah, I have the pre-filter, then my Uni or it might be a Twin-Air (one of them was dirty and I swapped out) in the box. I think I might get a K&N though in the future and do away with the metal inner filter... Then I'll just clamp the K&N. The prefilter works good thoug and came out decent. If I had a stationary bandsaw, I could have make the cuts look better, so if you have one of those I'd use it. There is another member on here that is going to make a pre-filter as I did, so keep looking back at this thread.

Max
    2005 400EX
    • ITP XCR's
    • HMF Slip-on (black)
    ----Trucks----
    ----Scary 3wheelers----
    1984 110
    1985 110
    (3) 1985 200s
    1985 250SX (mint)
    ----Other Junk----
    1972 ST90 (SOLD )
    1974 CT90 (yikes)
    1981 XR250R (yikes)
    2005 400EX

You might remember me from the 400EX thread you made, well anyways, I decided this to be my next project. Could you please send me the E-mail or anything on how you asked them for just the filter. Thanks!
    ~~Colton~~

My MySpace Page <-- ADD ME!

My FaceBook Page <-- ADD ME!

If you need to E-Mail me E-Mail me @ WannaBXCR@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Brauap
    You might remember me from the 400EX thread you made, well anyways, I decided this to be my next project. Could you please send me the E-mail or anything on how you asked them for just the filter. Thanks!
    Hey man! First, go to this section of their site:

http://www.ehsracing.com/catalog/ind...cPath=21_28_29

Get the filter that you want and then buy it, but in the notes section you can tell them that you want the cheapest shipping available and they will cut you a better deal. Let us know. Thanks!

Max
    2005 400EX
    • ITP XCR's
    • HMF Slip-on (black)
    ----Trucks----
    ----Scary 3wheelers----
    1984 110
    1985 110
    (3) 1985 200s
    1985 250SX (mint)
    ----Other Junk----
    1972 ST90 (SOLD )
    1974 CT90 (yikes)
    1981 XR250R (yikes)
    2005 400EX

Thanks!!!!
    ~~Colton~~

My MySpace Page <-- ADD ME!

My FaceBook Page <-- ADD ME!

If you need to E-Mail me E-Mail me @ WannaBXCR@yahoo.com

couldnt you use just very fine netting then make a template for that and then install, cause i have a predator 500 and they dont make a pre-filter for it.

jake
    '05 predator 500, brand new tranny ox podium x's done by ron wilson ac bumper, blackline nerfbars, rath radiator scoops and grab bar, house +1 anti-vibe steering stem, houser ant-vibe mounts, trail tech x-bars, douglass wheels.

couldnt you use just very fine netting then make a template for that and then install, cause i have a predator 500 and they dont make a pre-filter for it.

jake
    '05 predator 500, brand new tranny ox podium x's done by ron wilson ac bumper, blackline nerfbars, rath radiator scoops and grab bar, house +1 anti-vibe steering stem, houser ant-vibe mounts, trail tech x-bars, douglass wheels.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast