Thread: clutches

clutches

Can anyone help me on which clutch kit for a 2007 king quad 700 would be best for the stock bog off the line. I dont know how much to expect for more torqe and loss of top end, but I would just like more snap off the line. Maybe I was expecting too much with the EPI kit I got. I installed a big tire clutch kit for 3000-6000 elevation not knowing it was the wrong kit and wasn't too impressed at all. Was a little better off the line and lost some top end. Would it be benificial or worse to put in the kit I asked for - the small tire kit with the 0-3000 elevation, which is where im at. I have 25" mudweiser tires and no other mods, and on average I do mostly trail and hill riding. If anyone has any tips or recomdations please let me know what you think. I also have a few questions

What does the secondary large spring do comparing a soft and a stiff spring - which is better

Do the weights on the dry primary side have to be heavier or lighter for better engagement and snap off the line

And what do the springs do on the wet clutch assembly -which is better stiff or soft?

Hope someone can help, Thanks

Theres a couple of things you can do. For 25 inch tires I would suggest:

Yellow EPI spring and 20 gram weigths. With this set up I would except to loose 5 MPH.

You could also add the coop mod which is some small washers that separate the primary clutch. Info can be found here www.nyrocatv.com

Or you could even try the Green EPI secondary spring. It has even more punch. But sits at a higher RPM.

Now to get rid of the lag I would suggest a VDI unit.

For alot more details and good reading check out www.nyrocatv.com
    V-Twin King Quad

Thats awesome, finally I get some answers that tell me something. So if I go with your set up - yellow spring and 20 gram weights, it would be good but your saying that the green spring will give even more punch. Does that mean that the green one is stiffer? That would make sence to me cause it would hold the secondary side back more creating a higher rpm to spin. If so maybe I could just throw a washer or two under the yellow spring to make it stiffer, then I wouldnt have to buy a green spring on top of my kit. I have a yellow one in now and I think 19 gram weights, So I guess im close, but I just wasnt that impressed. Maybe I did just expect too much cause I have heard lots of good things about these kits. Thanks for the help, Im understanding how the differences make changes more now.

Thanks again

Later

I have the coop mod, epi green spring, 20 gram weights. I now have to sit on the airbox cover in order to keep from flipping it backwards on a dead engine start. I can pull the front wheels up at almost 20 MPH when rolling.

BUt I also have some engine mods
    V-Twin King Quad

I also have the coop mod done but I havent had anytime yet to really test it out! Maybe after this weekend I will have more time, this is my weekend for turkey hunting.
    2005 Suzuki King Quad 700