Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade on Pred90

Brake upgrade on Pred90

anyone update the brakes on a Pred90? these front drums SUCK! do i have to convert to dual a-arms to add disks? what has everyone else done? I cant imagine I'm the 1st to complain about these. Any help is appreciated.
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. --Muhammad Ali

We installed front disc's along with the Rath dual a-arm setup in the front. I wouldn't recommend it though. We installed a DC motorsports rear swing arm with disc brake and that I would highly recommend. Now it stops on a dime.

i saw a kit somewhere but it was about $800. i just modded drr spindles so i can run 300ex or honda 400ex hubs and front brake set up. on the rear you can switch to a eton bearing carrier and the whole eton axle and rear disc set up. i have done a few of these. i also put an old dinli helix rear disc set up on a predator.

Mark
    " A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying.... Dang that was fun"

Mark

Bubba ( son )
    2005 YFZ450, 08 motor,Bike cam, Laeger Plus 2 a-arms, Elka shocks, GYTR Exhaust, Holeshots on Baja rims, AC Pro Pegs, G- Force axle

2009 Sponsor: Asv, SixSixOne. Oneal Racing, Houser Racing, GT Thunder, Nacs Racing, Elka

yep, thats the $800 one i saw.
    " A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying.... Dang that was fun"

Mark

Bubba ( son )
    2005 YFZ450, 08 motor,Bike cam, Laeger Plus 2 a-arms, Elka shocks, GYTR Exhaust, Holeshots on Baja rims, AC Pro Pegs, G- Force axle

2009 Sponsor: Asv, SixSixOne. Oneal Racing, Houser Racing, GT Thunder, Nacs Racing, Elka

The best way to go is a DC Motorsports dual long travel a arm setup and you can buy a set of used honda 400ex hubs, spindles and front brakes . and of course the DC Motorsports long travel roundhouse swingarm and rear disc brake setup . We put this on a Polaris Outlaw 90 and it was money well spent.

modify spindles

Originally posted by markvette
    i saw a kit somewhere but it was about $800. i just modded drr spindles so i can run 300ex or honda 400ex hubs and front brake set up.
    Mark
    Hey Mark, I am brand new to interchangablity from the polaris to anything else. Could you explain to me what needs to be modified one he polaris spindle to allow the use of 300 ex brakes? I am a pretty good fabricator and have a buddy who is a machinist for the Texas Air National Guard. Thank you for your time!!

Respectfully,
    Dale
    Its Gods job to judge the terrorist, its OUR job to arrange the meeting...Semper Fi/USMC

jerrys kid

Sorry about that last post...typing in the dark, and after a long night of work.....well you get the picture. Alright this time in English...Mark what has to be done to the DRR spindle to accept 300/400ex brakes? I have a bent spindle and was just about to order it...so this would def be the time to make the change!!! I was going to buy a set of wheel adaptors as well but if i can get a set of diff spindles and make them accept honda front brakes, and then my front rims(4x144) will bolt right up....please Mark, educate me. I am all ears. No more Jerrys kid, I promise!!!
    Its Gods job to judge the terrorist, its OUR job to arrange the meeting...Semper Fi/USMC

ok hope i can explain it right. the spindles i used were apex, the ones that used the drum brakes not disc. i had to change the outside bearing on the 400ex spindles to a bigger one but the outside bearing on the stock apex drum hub fit so i swapped them. also the spindles were apex but i used drr a-arms. to make the a-arms fit on the spindles i had to enlarge the holes for the ball joints. i built a caliper mounting plate out of 1/4" aluminum. also had to make a spacer that goes on the spindle between the hub and mounting plate. it was 3/4" wide. then there is a cone shaped spacer in between the inner and outer bearing on the hubs. the one on the 400 hubs wont work but the one on the apex drum hub will but you have to cut about 1/2" off the nose of it or the outer bearing will not go all the way into the hub. i have a few pics i will post.

Mark

Mark

Bubba ( son )

Mark

Bubba ( son )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast