Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on air filter oil (foam type)

Opinions on air filter oil (foam type)

Im curious to see what everyone thinks.

I have always used bar and chain oil or gear oil on my foam air filters. Not only can I buy an entire gallon for the cost of 1 small bottle of air filter oil, but it does the same job imho.

Others say to only use the specified air filter oil like maxima or the likes as it may suck oil back into the engine or whatever.

Funny, I distinctly remember back in the day the manuals called for using the same oil that went into your engine on the filter.

So what say you guys?
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I personally use the honda air filter cleaner, it comes in a kit with oil, cleaner, and green stuff to hold the filter on the boot better. Honestly though I dont think it makes a difference.
    99 400ex-very clean (Sold)
    -protaper s/e bars w/handguards
    -DG slip on pipe
    -uni air filter
    -DG fat series nerfs
    -R/A rear tires
    -Tether kill switch
    -Stage 1 Hotcam
    -soon to be 11:1 416
    xboxlive-boxsatchel24

Ive heard the actual branded "air filter oil" has tacky additives in it so it stays on the filter and traps dirt..

But who really knows, marketing is a nice thing isnt it?
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

ehhh, the Honda filter oil that I have is the same exact thing, I just bought the kit because I liked the idea of the sealant around the filter.
    99 400ex-very clean (Sold)
    -protaper s/e bars w/handguards
    -DG slip on pipe
    -uni air filter
    -DG fat series nerfs
    -R/A rear tires
    -Tether kill switch
    -Stage 1 Hotcam
    -soon to be 11:1 416
    xboxlive-boxsatchel24

Originally posted by CJM
    Ive heard the actual branded "air filter oil" has tacky additives in it so it stays on the filter and traps dirt..

But who really knows, marketing is a nice thing isnt it?
    it definetly does!

go touch some motor motor oil and see hwo it runs off your finger.

then go touch some foam air filter oil and see how tacky and messy and sticky it is!

i'd recommend using the stuff that's made for you air filter, then use the stuff that's made for your motor when you do your oil change

oils have come along way since the days when we put motor oil on air filters. oils are all designed for specific applications and filter oil is designed for what it is used for .I would only concider using something else,only if it was 911. Never have i removed a foam air filter with air filter oil on it and found any trace of dirt. i can not say the same for k and n or that kinda filter. it is worth the money

those days had to be at least 20 years ago. that yamalube foam filter oil has been around forever!

Guy’s I’ve been riding for a long time and I always use the foam type filters because in my opinion they do the best job of cleaning the dirty air. I know there are many opinions on this so no arguing, it’s my opinion form 30 years of riding.
    Any oil will be better than on oil on the filter, the main deference is that some, “not all” specific filter oils are better when the filter gets wet. I use Bel-Ray (foam filter oil) it is water proof oil with sling inhibitors in it that in my opinion is absolutely the best oil for foam filters. It also works well for chain oil as well.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

Originally posted by 2001400exrida
    those days had to be at least 20 years ago. that yamalube foam filter oil has been around forever!
    enough of that you smarty pants youngster. yes a hundred years ago,there was no such thing as air filter oil and there was no such thing as cell phones. bet you didnt no that

haha i'm 28, not really that young???? i didn't have a cell phone in high school so i'm not that old haha.

i was just saying dude, the foam filter oil has been around for awhile it works better in all conditions i love it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast