Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Here and wanted to post pics of my Turbocharged 400ex

hey Mitch!, glad to see ya on one here. this guy knows his shnit, me and mitch raced couple weekends ago when he still had that IHI-rhf3 and my 440EX (mods in sig) beat him by quite a bit but i rode that thing how it is now (before you burnt up the clutch!)and it rips! with a FCR this thing will be nuts

we'll post a video of me and twinty racing once her gets his clutch together.
    Jordan Lepp
    '99 440EX.. JE 89.25mm 12:1 piston. P&P'ed, FCR, full exhaust, AC nerfs & bumper, works F&R, burguard +2's, Razr2's, DMPgrahics & seat, T2's, UNI

(Dads) 04 DVX400, wiseco 12:1, hotcams, FMF ti4 & hi-flo header, K&N,nerfs,razr2's

You got any shot of the whole bike?

Looks good man.

How much do you have invested into this as far as money and hours go.
    SOLD - '99 400ex - Hotcam Stage 2 | Cometic | HD studs | K&N | 3qt oil tank | Stainless Scoops w/hp adding stickers | White Bros air box vents | White Bros painted/wrapped E-series | 450r front shocks | Renthal | Moose levers | Acerbis | AC Pro-Pegs | Pro Armor Frame/A-Arm skids, Bullhorn style bumper | Slashers | Razr II's | White Bros e-brake block off | relocated battery in air box | upgraded lights | hide-away license plate. Much more to come.

-If you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English, thank a soldier.

i got that same turbo layin around..im actually missing the exhaust housing..and i was thinkin about turboin but...really im at a loss of how to go about it..definitely read how you did but still i wouldnt feel comfortable..plus i dont have anyone around that could do my piping ...if you ever felt like writing up a "how-to" id definitely be interested..thanks -josh

also u use oil to cool the turbo...that stock oil cooling system from the 400ex can do this? or is there another method u use etc?

as far as money goes,

150 weisco piston
    35 head shim
    40 oil lines
    10 airbox aluminum
    100 used turbo
    200 intercooler core, could have used cheaper but had laying around
    150 silicone hose and piping
    60 oil tank aluminum and fittings
    130 msd fuel pump
    150 fuel pressure regulator
    30 hella relay for fuel pump
    85 boost gauge
    50 boost controller
    100 k&n air filter and sock
    about 12 hours of mockup and 4 hours welding, the header was the hardest piece to build.

I use the return side of the oil system, to the stock cooler, to oil the turbo, just have to tee into it after the cooler and restrict it going back into the tank so it builds 10psi at idle and 50+psi pressure thereafter. it then drains back into the custom oil tank.

The biggest problem I am having is clutches, it just spins the clutch as soon as the boost builds, The barnett didnt last two days!! I have tried different oils, all with the JASO certification, and no luck. I will try an EBC EP 8 plate for a trx250r, It has kevlar plates so maybe It will hold up...I really dont want to buy the hinson 8 plate kit, very spendy$$$....this is a budget build!!

I have had it out quite a bit lately and it runs awesome despite the clutch problem, it needs more cooling as the heat gun says 300 quite often...but it still lives, thats a Honda for you! It will catwalk in every gear even with the clutch slipping.

I raced a CRF450r the other day and we were dead even, That was at 10 psi boost with the clutch slipping bad! I still have the FCR to install too...lol. I cant wait to turn the boost back up and put the tall gears in it, should be a mover then!

edited : added more parts I forgot about...

it looks like u have an inline fuel pump as well??

yes it looks like you have a fuel pressure regulator on there too. i see a brass t spliter. i also see what might be a fuel filter (looks like a tiny elec fuel pump). if you could draw a simple diagram in paint with the vacuum routing in blue then the fuel in red it might help. i have read on here that the factory cluch plates are some of the best. dont forget to soak them in oil for about a week to let it fully penatrate. maybee get some heavy duty clutch springs and then shim them with some washers. then if its to hard to pull maybe extend the (engine) cluch lever arm to make it easier again. just a thought sweet mod
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger
    Pro-flo stainless steel oil filter
    spark plug resistor mod
    450r front shocks yfz450 springs
    yfz450 brake pads
    steel braided brake lines frt & rr
    450r bumper
    Pro design shifter
    Hinson rear brake lever
    drilled airbox snorkle removed
    Moose ebrake plate
    Renthal bars
    Moose levers

looks good but all that work and that think is a pigpen. Is it always like that or did you just get done riding? Not bashing it is your machine but it seems like that would need to be clean at all times with it being a turbo and all.
    00' 400EX
    semi loaded

Marcus You will be Missed. See you on the other side my friend. R.I.P.

so how much was it.. and can you show a pic of your full beast?!.. i wanna see where your left header goes
    RIDE AS IF YOU WOULD LIVE FOREVER BUT DIE TOMMAROW...

Wisco 440 Big bore
    Yoshimura RS3 Carbon Full
    K&N
    G4 Rev Box
    Tusk Handle Bars
    John Natalie Victory Bling Star Bumper[black]
    Tusk Off-Road Nerfs [black]

man that thing is sick who makes the turbo for it
    06 ktm300 xcw: trail weapon

99 400ex:
    .FMF megamax
    .FMF powerbomb header
    .10/1 wiesco pistion
    ,protaper se bars
    .Uni filter
    .nerf bars

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death…
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast