Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Here and wanted to post pics of my Turbocharged 400ex

This is truely one of a kind. How does it run? I'd love to see some video of it in action. I wonder what dyno numbers would be on this.

thanks! it runs as good as stock, throttle response is awesome, and being able to pull the front tires at any speed is awesome! I cant wait to get the clutch and bigger carb in it and go climb some hills, or blast some fire roads! My friend has a fully built 440ex with pretty much everything done to it, fcr, hinson clutch 12.5:1, full exhaust....much more too, we will be racing soon! I will post some video of that and much more as it comes.

What state do you live in? Are there any good riding areas near you?

Are you concerned about the turbo ruining the durability of the engine?

I live in B.C. Canada, there is some decent sand riding in kamloops about an hour from where I live. We mainly ride all the logging roads around here, and of course all the local gravel pits!
    I have put alot of turbos on alot of different engines and all failures were octane or heat related, boost really doesnt stress the engine as much as high rpm, high comopression n/a engines do. The boost actually helps slow the piston down as it is getting to the TDC just before the intake stroke, and the extra volume really help cushion the piston on the compression stroke. Just about every engine will take 15psi on stock internals, its usually the ring lands on the piston that let go first. That is why I put a wiseco piston in, cast pistons and boost dont go together well at all...

Have uprated the cooling system on the ride? Or are you still using the stock oil cooler?

I have a bigger cooler to go inline for the oil feed to the head, you can see the lines and fittings in the first set of pics. I still have to hook up the fan though for slow speed riding, if there will be any...

anybody ever use a heat gun to check the temperature of the cooling fins on the engine? what is normal for these ex's?

THAT IS AN AWESOME QUAD! would love to know what turbo you used, and how you keep that thing feed with fuel! would think you would have had to up grade the carb first! just based off my knowledge of the cummins turbo. you know us indiana boys love our cummins!
    01 400EX
    snorkel removed
    renthal bar and grips
    450r front shocks
    pro armor nerfs
    rejetted w/o airbox lid
    HMF slip-on with 140 main, 42 pilot

2003 Buell XB9R with breather re-route, Factory Race Kit, K&N filter

so um... i just creamed my pants... lol this thing is badddddd
    2005 450r orange, Hiper, Elka, Houser, Maier, Zing, Hmf, Precision, you get the point :Sold

2004 400ex yellow, lsr, fox, maxxis, Renthal, Douglas, Hmf :Sold

2005 f-150, black, v8 4.6, xlt, 18" king ranch wheels.

Buy My Truck

that kicks so much ***, is there lots of good riding in the kamloops area? Im from Edmonton and me and my buddies usually go up to Hinton to ride the sand there but we are always lookin for new spots to hit.

Originally posted by twinty

anybody ever use a heat gun to check the temperature of the cooling fins on the engine? what is normal for these ex's?
    i have a ray tech and my built motor runs 250-260 on the left side and about 220 on the right (exhaust) side. its lower on the right cause theres a air gap for the timing chain. anything over 300 is bad.

good job this looks sweet and im sure it runs
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger