Thread: Timing Chain

Timing Chain

Guys, I have a 2004 400ex and i have the loud ticking noise that most say is probally the timing chain. What is the best way to check this? I have read other posts but kind of got lost reading them. What are the steps that need to be done to check if the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced? Thanks

is the quad stock? how long have you had it? a aftermarket cam in a quad will make it tick like a som*****, and its annoying, if its all stock then it is the chain, take out your chain tensioner on the rightside of the block in the middle, you can miss it, and see if its maxed out, if it is then your chain is probly moving a little bit, future damage----> jumped timing tooth, valve slapping piston, bending guides, or jsut really crappy running bike. crf450 cam chain, 50$ or go to cdb motorsports . com and het a hd chain.
    440ex
    stage 2 hot cams
    42 pilot 170 main
    choke removed
    motoworks sr4 slip on, sounds so good
    hd cam chain
    rockin the twist throttle
    itp blackwaters(bleh)holeshots mxr6 soon!
    outwear filter cover, 6 1'' uni filters
    custom black frame and yellow a arms swing arm and hubs

when you unscrew the bolts, how much should the tensioner push itself out to indicate it still has life? I did my yesterday and it comes out about 3mm

i guess i kinda gave poor information, i forgot that it will sling all the way out when you take it out take off the head cover, get a light, take out the tensioner, if your chain is decent then it shouldnt move to much when you put your finger in the slider front the tensioner port, what im trying to say is it shouldnt have to much slack, if its moving around a whole lbunch then its deff time for a new one, if its semi tight already and only moves in and out a little bit hten its good and you should check your tappets for valve clearance.
    440ex
    stage 2 hot cams
    42 pilot 170 main
    choke removed
    motoworks sr4 slip on, sounds so good
    hd cam chain
    rockin the twist throttle
    itp blackwaters(bleh)holeshots mxr6 soon!
    outwear filter cover, 6 1'' uni filters
    custom black frame and yellow a arms swing arm and hubs

will the timing chain cause power loss?