Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400ex MPG

400ex MPG

Just wondering what the range on a stock 400ex is. Say the riding style is on trails with a few wide open sprints, how many miles can i go on one tank?

i ride in the dunes, so its a little more wide open throttle.

ive gotten 4+ hours on my 400ex (i have 170 jet, and a pipe)
    im not sure how many miles that is, but i know its a lot!
    i barely made it back to the trailer on reserve.
    2004 TRX400EX
    K&N airfilter w/ outerwear, K&N power lid w/ outerwear, 170DJ main jet, stock pilot jet, WB e-series pipe, AC nerf bars, PRM grab bar, CSR +6 timing key, 8 paddle Sand Stars on 10" DWT, Polished stock front rims, 13t front sprocket, 450R front shocks

You can follow me but it's gonna hurt!

4 hours. thats a good start. See i bought these quads for my wife and i to hit the trails and just tool around. our first time out, we lost track of just about everything and found ourselves maybe 5 miles from the truck. we made it back and still had plenty of gas, but it got me thinking.. just how far can these quads go??

Mine is bone stock and I ride a mix of trails and dunes when I go out. I fill it up at the beginning of the day and ride about 4 or 5 hours and barely burn a half of a tank. Same goes for my 250. Maybe the 400 has a bigger tank, but it seems to burn just a little but less than the 250.
    06 400EX
    03 YZ250F
    84 ATC 110

Our longest was 70 mi. on res. the last few miles, we rode pretty hard so I would imagine on a stock 400 riding easy you could go farther

I usually average 3 hours and around 60 miles until I have to switch to reserve. That's a 20 mph average.

3.0 Gallon Tank (2.6 Gallons On and 0.4 Gallon Reserve)

Ultimately, your riding style will dictate your fuel mileage.

I have gone over 80 miles on a tank many of times!!! Thats riding rocky jeep roads in Colorado, granted the connecting trails are more like gravel roads, but the majority of the riding is in 1st thru 3rd gears and thats with 22" tires and down one tooth on the front sprocket.
    The longest day I've had was 127miles, ended up coasting down the mountain trail for the last few hundred feet after running out of gas on reserve.
    But that is also running up in higher elevation with a leaner setting (but was still rich above 10,000 feet)

on 100 miles of railroad grade, my quad, my brothers 400ex, and my dads z400 all get about 43-47 mpg taking it easy and holding it steady. dunes are a different story..
    ~Mike~
    2000 Honda 416EX

stock 06 400EX

I have yet to use the reserve. I can ride fron 8am - 5pm With a couple breaks in between. Alot of riding is in 2nd,3rd gear. The other day I rode 40 miles still had a 1/4 tank. I wasn't trying to be conservative on the pedal either, hehe Varooooom!

Dave
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Riser, Vapor Protector
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk Comp Series Nerf Bars
    Tusk Full Chassis Skid Plate
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

"Run her hard, but at the end of the day treat her like a lady!"

"Fix it right or fix it again"

Don't drink... Don't smoke... Don't do drugs... and I'm proud of it! I guess I plan on living longer than most.

well thats great news! thanks for all the info guys, much apprecaited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast