Thread: Which cam for 440

Which cam for 440

My quad was a 440 big bore when i bought it (not stroked) It has been owned by several different people and i have rebuilt just about everything on it going through fixing all the other screw ups from previous owners. I saw when i rebuilt it that it had a hotcams in it and assumed it would be a stage 2 for the big bore. now i have most of the fine tuning done i noticed it is a bit more sluggish on top end and thats when i actually checked the cam, and sure enough its a stage 1. I read that the stage 3 is specifically designed for the strokers so can i not use it for mine? the hotcams r around 130 or so on ebay and thats bout what i want to spend. i do a lot of trail riding but do like to do some drag racing as well. if anyone has any suggestions on which cam i should use please let me know. im not totally set on hotcams either its just thats all ive seen and its the price im looking for. if anyone knows how much and where i can get a webb or any other kinda cam that will be my best option id like to know that also.
    Ride hard or stay home
    86 250r. trying to undo 20+ years of abuse and neglect

i have a stage 2 hotcam and love it.
    2005 trx 450r

Use the stg 2. IMO a stg 3 would kill the low end too much on a 440 big bore, not good for trail riding.

For the price, it's tough to beat Hotcams. They hold up very well, and their grinds work well.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

i have a stage 3 in my 440, and its just a 440 bore not stroked.

it has crazy bottom end. tons of power through out the hole gear
    2002 banshee - some go fast parts
    07 klx110 - alot of go fast parts

thanks for the input guys. hey ruby have you ever run the stage 2 to compare it to. do you do a lot of trail riding also? looks like we got similar setups so if your happy with it i proly would be too. also if you dont mind me asking what setup you running in your 450r carb
    Ride hard or stay home

nah ive never run a stage 2. i do ride alot of trails, its awesome in the woods.

my carb isnt actually on yet, its sitting on the bench with no jets
    2002 banshee - some go fast parts
    07 klx110 - alot of go fast parts

aight i ordered the stage 3. i'll post my results when i get it installed and ride it. might b a while with this crappy IN weather.
    Ride hard or stay home