Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlaw 525 oil

Outlaw 525 oil

What oil are you guys running? So far I have been using the PS Plus 0w50 that the manual calls for but I can't imagine you cannot use any other oil. I would prefer to use a full synthetic commonly available anywhere instead of the really expensive Polaris oil. Sorry if this has been covered but you cannot do a search with the word "oil" cause its only three letters. I don't want to take any chances with the KTM powerplant it seems kind of finicky with everything else so I want to be sure that another oil is acceptable.
    Plus 0w 50 is not a weight oil I have seen anywhere else but powersports.

There is another site that I can't mention but there is a good consensus on there about Rotella T Synthetic from Wal-Mart at $16 a gallon! I have been running it and so far, so good, runs great with no issues (and helps keep motor noise down).... I also believe that it is the same oil being used in the KTM Factory bikes but don't quote me on that!
    07 Polaris Outlaw 525
    HMF * AC Blackline * K&N * EHS * ProTaper * Oury * PRM * Pure Polaris * Kenda * Skat Trak * Moore Power * JD Jetting * KTM Hard Parts * Pingel * Maxxis

what weight is that Rotella oil your talking about?

Originally posted by eerhard09
    There is another site that I can't mention but there is a good consensus on there about Rotella T Synthetic from Wal-Mart at $16 a gallon! I have been running it and so far, so good, runs great with no issues (and helps keep motor noise down).... I also believe that it is the same oil being used in the KTM Factory bikes but don't quote me on that!
    Why can't another site be mentioned? I have been a member here for years and have never seen that rule.
    **Mark**

2006 Polaris Outlaw 500
    2004 Honda Rancher 350
    2005 Polaris Predator 90

“Observance of the Constitution is essential to the survival of the Republic and the well being of Americans, their lives,liberties and property. Those in power must fear the consequences of ignoring, evading or violating it.”

Member of PolarisSportRiders.com

Originally posted by spanky101
    what weight is that Rotella oil your talking about?
    There are two weights of Rotella oil that will work. The synthetic is 5w-40, the regular is 15w-40.
    **Mark**

2006 Polaris Outlaw 500
    2004 Honda Rancher 350
    2005 Polaris Predator 90

“Observance of the Constitution is essential to the survival of the Republic and the well being of Americans, their lives,liberties and property. Those in power must fear the consequences of ignoring, evading or violating it.”

Member of PolarisSportRiders.com

The PS4 Polaris oil is 0w-50. The PS4 plus Polaris oil is actually a 2w-50 oil.

Rotella is wet clutch safe. It meets the JASO certification. The 5w-40 synthetic has to much ash in it though to fully qualify. But since our quads are not running emmision systems in them no biggie.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple
    Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
    introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
    All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
    5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
    be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
    15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
    meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
    Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
    Staff Engineer
    Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
    Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
    States of America "

One of the most recent of 100's of discussions on Rotella T in a bike/quad engine on that site.
    2007 Outlaw 525 (#315Q) AC Racing Blackline ProPeg nerfs, Wilson Racing suspension, Precision steering stabilizer, Flexx Bars 15*, Rath Racing anti vib mounts, Rath Racing MX grab bar w/supports, Oury, Pit Posse Outlaw shifter, Vapor computer, JD Jet kit, big O-ring, YFZ throttle mod, Pro design filter, CT Racing full exhaust, RAZR 2, for sand-20x10x10 Edge on Douglas .160.

2007 Predator 500 LE
    350 Raptor, 2008 250 Raptor, 2006 Jetmoto 150, 50 Raptor

2007 Outlaw 90(#384M) 2008 Class A 14 and under state champion
    2006 Predator 90 (#705M) 10 and under 2nd place in state

What weight is that oil?

These are my opinions on oil:

Oil is oil, the additives are what make them different
    Synthetic is better than conventional
    Synthetic blends are a ripoff (there is very little synthetic oil in them)
    The only thing I think is critical about choosing an oil is the weight/viscosity. The engine's tolerances are designed for a certain viscosity oil and using a heavier one will cause major increase in oil pressure and therefore extra wear on the oil pump, possible startup wear ect, possible seal failure.
    Using a thinner oil will cause too low of oil pressure and increase wear on internals due to decreased film shear strength.
    The most important thing about oil is changing it at proper intervals, not so much oil brand selection.
    De-foaming additives are the most important to wear prevention, second would be oil shear strength, then detergents.
    Detergents do nothing other than keep dirt suspended for removal by the filtration system.

Please comment on these statements.

Originally posted by Evasiveone
    The PS4 Polaris oil is 0w-50. The PS4 plus Polaris oil is actually a 2w-50 oil.

Rotella is wet clutch safe. It meets the JASO certification. The 5w-40 synthetic has to much ash in it though to fully qualify. But since our quads are not running emmision systems in them no biggie.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple
    Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
    introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
    All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
    5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
    be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
    15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
    meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
    Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
    Staff Engineer
    Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
    Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
    States of America "

One of the most recent of 100's of discussions on Rotella T in a bike/quad engine on that site.
    What affect does ash have on the oil?

has anyone ever used panolin oils?

http://www.panolinamerica.com/

That is their link to their site. Its not great site but they make a 10w-50 100% synthetic. Its their race offroad oil. would this be ok or would sticking to the atv 10w-40 be better? the reason i am lookin into them is my brother races mx and has sponsorship from them. Thanks

predatorowners

oops, I let it slip.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast