Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw 525 Jetting poll

Thumbs up

oj, go to thumperfaq.com. they have some great write ups on the FCR. How thing work, and it is very informative. Check it out, and hope it will answer some of your questions, (and then some).

When I had the stock exhaust with just the baffle pulled I ran the red needle on the 4th clip. When I went to the full CT exhaust I tried many different options and the blue needle worked the best so far. It has been in the 50-70 degree range here. My plug is on the black side, but it runs so good right now I am going to leave it. Rather have it a little rich than lean. Once the temperature hits the 70-90's I am going to drop to a 170 main and probably continue to run the blue needle.
    2007 Outlaw 525 (#315Q) AC Racing Blackline ProPeg nerfs, Wilson Racing suspension, Precision steering stabilizer, Flexx Bars 15*, Rath Racing anti vib mounts, Rath Racing MX grab bar w/supports, Oury, Pit Posse Outlaw shifter, Vapor computer, JD Jet kit, big O-ring, YFZ throttle mod, Pro design filter, CT Racing full exhaust, RAZR 2, for sand-20x10x10 Edge on Douglas .160.

2007 Predator 500 LE
    350 Raptor, 2008 250 Raptor, 2006 Jetmoto 150, 50 Raptor

2007 Outlaw 90(#384M) 2008 Class A 14 and under state champion
    2006 Predator 90 (#705M) 10 and under 2nd place in state

Keihin Tuning With Keihin setup 101 and AP 101 from KTMtalk:

http://www.predatorowners.com/index....74&thrid=47400

Originally posted by sleddog66
    Evasiveone, I'm curious too, you and bill are now running blue needles. Is this just for the winter, or did your exhaust mods require enough extra fuel to need the blue needle, even in the summer? I just seem to remember everyone running red in the summer. Thanks in advance for your reply.

BLUE needle: low altitude/ cool temperatures
    RED needle: high altitude/ high temperatures

I am also running the blue needle. I forgot to list it and edited it yesterday. I had the red in with the stock exhaust. Went to the blue since it ran very badly with the alba and the red needle.

I would have to get my JD instrustions out but I believe it says the red is for 80' and above.

I originally ran the blue needle but switched to the red when everyone said it was better. However the JD instructions said some higher flowing exhausts could require the use of the blue needle all the time.

UPDATE: I finished finally doing the valve adjustment today. I had never done it and if memory serves it is required after the first 10 hours of operation. The quad prob has about 10 hours on it now. Anyway, I found quickly that every valve was adjusted way too tight. There was no lash on any of them whatsoever. I imagine that is typical from the factory for break in purposes. Well, after putting it all back together I found that on initial start up the idle was about 200 rpm's faster and the bike runs about 80% better. I am very glad I took the time to do it today and I'm thinking this had a major impact on my problems from the beginning. So for any new Outlaw 525 owners out there.
    1) Check your air screw for proper o ring installation
    2) adjust your valves as soon as practical
    Listen to these guys everything they have said I have found in the end to be true in respect to jetting.
    Of course my situation was different due to these mechanical problems so everything I tried to do to correct jetting was useless. I do think that my current jetting of 165 main is too lean and I will be going back to at least a 170 main I think.
    No air lid
    Uni Filter
    stock pilot
    Modified stock exhaust (interior muffler baffle removed, outlet baffle removed)

I guess I could have posted this also to help with the valve adjustment:

http://www.predatorowners.com/index....74&thrid=46349

Originally posted by SSJEFF
    I guess I could have posted this also to help with the valve adjustment:

http://www.predatorowners.com/index....74&thrid=46349
    Yeah, thats the method I used. Was significantly easier than I thought.

So what is the difference between the Red and Blue. I know red is for high altitude and temp and blue is for low alt and temp. But physically what is the difference.

I am brand new to this jetting thing. While i was at Little sahara last weekend my brother ran the red needle 5th from the top and a 160 main with big o ring.
    I ran the blue needle at 3 from the top and 160 main. I felt like i had more lower to mid power. It didn't feel much different from stock but it ran good. Everyone else keeps saying that the jet kit makes the bike a night and day difference. I am at 3400-4200 feet now and i need help figuring the best set up?

Also what is AP and how do i adjust it? Sounds like it could help make my bike run better.

AP = accelerator pump
    WOT = wide open throttle

the kiehin is wierd cause the needle never comes completely out of the main jet. So you could have different setups that work

As far as the difference between the needles, it is the taper. Kiehin makes lots of different needles for the FCR carb. JD has 2 in their kit. Without some way of telling what the air fuel mixture is, you are shooting in the dark. You could pull the plug and tell the average but it could be lean or rich in a spot.

You can adjust the AP amount of squirt, when it starts , and how long it lasts. the leak jet bleeds off the amount of fuel surit and changes the timing.

read this and it may help
    http://www.predatorowners.com/index....74&thrid=47400

I have read and jetted before and spent about 4 hours on mine the other day only to come back to the origional setup. 165 red 2 or 3 from top.

Originally posted by sheriff525
    So what is the difference between the Red and Blue. I know red is for high altitude and temp and blue is for low alt and temp. But physically what is the difference.

I am brand new to this jetting thing. While i was at Little sahara last weekend my brother ran the red needle 5th from the top and a 160 main with big o ring.
    I ran the blue needle at 3 from the top and 160 main. I felt like i had more lower to mid power. It didn't feel much different from stock but it ran good. Everyone else keeps saying that the jet kit makes the bike a night and day difference. I am at 3400-4200 feet now and i need help figuring the best set up?

Also what is AP and how do i adjust it? Sounds like it could help make my bike run better.
    2009OUTLAWIRS #134
    2008-9OUTLAW525XCR #134
    2008RZR
    POLARIS
    Sponsors
    *Polaris Industries
    *R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing