Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why KTM over Can-Am?

Why KTM over Can-Am?

I really don't want this to turn into some sort of fan boy war, but I've been comparing the two top (in my opinion) 450's the DS and the KTM.

The price difference is pretty huge for the non X package DS and the KTM, about 1300 dollars. So my main question is why is the KTM worth 1300 dollars more?

I realize the stock Ohlins suspension is very nice, what else does it have going for it? Its carburated (cheaper) to the DS's EFI, the frame is (arguably) not any better.

Do the ohlins have high and low speed compression adjustment? If you get the X package from the DS it comes with better suspension, and Nerf bars, one less thing you have to buy to make it 'race ready'

So why is the KTM worth the 1300 dollars more? or the 400 dollars more compared to the DS450X.

dude, if you have to ask, then you might be nuts.
    !! Just kidding , ride both. I have and the KTM is smoother, more power, handles better, feels light, and ready for awesome bolt ons like the ohlin or elka steering stab.

my money was and is on the KTM. Or just buy the can am so I can beat another guy in the woods!
    06 450R
    06 yzf 450
    08 525 xc KTM

The higher price is from the higher quality of components on the KTM. Chromoly frame, hydro clutch, Razrs, Fat bars, castor/ camber adjustable a arms, adjustable axle, light weight and the OHLINS....sorry but the DS450X shocks do not even come close to the ohlins on the KTM quads.

I can't say i've riden can am but we have 9 ktm's in our series and 1 can am all the ktms have finished our first 2 races and the can am has yet to finish. also look at gncc the ktms are doing great can am not so great. i think there is you answer.
    McShane's ATV Racing

MUNN RACING, PRO ARMOR, KENDA USA, FMF, HOUSER RACING, GALFER USA, 661, ENGINE ICE, TWIN AIR, AMSOIL, ONE INDUSTRIES, RK, MOTION PRO,MOTO X NUTRITION, RENTHAL, ASV INVENTIONS, POWER MADD, FASST CO., GAERNE, MAGURA, SUPREME WESTERN PRODUCTS, STORM LAWN & GARDEN, AND MORE TO COME.
    SPECIAL THANKS TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS WHO HELP OUT EACH WEEKEND.

ive herd people hae been getting the ktm for about the same as ds 450x and theres no comparison between them, the ktm is built so much better for example(tie rods steering stem etc..)while the ds has thin parts whitch do not look very strong like the a arms and the ds is still a heavier quad even with its aluminum bolted together frame
    '08 KTM 450 XC
    '08 Outlaw 450 MXR
    '07 KX450F
    '07 CRF50

Look at the results in the last 2 GNCC's that might help!! All the guys that were good last year on the honda's that switch to the Can Am are not doing good this year!!

Is GNCC the only thing the KTM's are racing this year? I see they are doing very well in it, 4th and 5th the first round, and 1st and 2nd the second round.

I would agree it is the overall package. The motor is known to be rock solid on the KTM. Maint on the motor is straight forward, and not as intense as a lot of the other brands. It is a great product. The Can AM is a great product as well, a few more questions about its reliability, but a great product still. I think it comes down to do you feel more comfortable on either of them? What about dealer support in your area. Some areas have more or none of the Can AM or KTM dealers. I don't think you will be sorry with either quad. I love my KTM so far.

05 black 450r Sparks Exhaust ,ESR Intake

I watched all 4 of those video's and they really were informative about everything that has to do with the bike.

The KTM has quite a bit of nice things about it, but it is approximately 1300 dollars more than the competition.

If you're a racer, definitely worth it. Just a trail rider? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast