Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank bolts!!

Gas tank bolts!!

Dont loctite the bolts that hold the front plastic to the gas tank! I did and now i went to take my gas tank off to re-jet my carb and both inserts are stripped and cant get the bolts out!! Anyone else with this problem??

I think the extra light hold(almost like an antisieze) is the way to go on those. Try shooting some plastic-weld in the holes around the inserts.

i didnt even use locktite or anything and my inserts spin and i cant get the bolt out
    '08 KTM 450 XC
    '08 Outlaw 450 MXR
    '07 KX450F
    '07 CRF50

i had this problem with my 450r.

pry the plastics off from around the bolt. then hold the washer with vise grips and turn the bolt. it was the washer that got seized to the insert on the 450r.

once you do get it out spray never-seize in there every time you put them back in. some guys just had to get a new tank on the 450r.
    2011 Sponsors

FLY Racing
    BK Performance
    Condons Auto Parts

I had same problem, but I didn't have any loctite on my bolts. I don't think KTM glued the nuts in good enough. You have to install them with VERY little force or they will strip out.

You can't remove them by prying on the fender like a 450r as the washers on the KTM won't let it. The best way I know is to use a drill bit. The factory design with the torx bit hole in the head allows for easy alignment of a 6mm or anything close to it drill bit. Since the bolts themselves are very soft the head will break off with the bit before drilling into anything that could be damaging. As for repairing, I took a small syringe with gorilla glue and injected it all around the cracks. Lightly snug the bolt and knock on wood it hasn't been a problem since.
    -Kevin-
    GNCC #444
    2013 Junior B Champion

Thanks to my 2014 sponsors:

Lexington Motorsports, MSR, Schaeffer's Racing Oil, WKC Powersports, GT Thunder, Wiseco Pistons, Precision, Spy Optics, Spider Grips, Panda's Powdercoating, Roll Design, IMS, Blingstar

Im on my third tank so far because of this problem, been going back to the dealer and they have been replacing, one of the minor details i expect will be worked on , on futrue genrations of KTM quads

I have also ran into this problem. The 2nd time I removed those bolts they had to be drilled out to get the tank off. Bad design!

That happened on 450r... Can't count the number of times I had to take the front plastics and gas tank off together over the handlebars. Quite a PAIN! Then one day I got the idea to try an impact driver on them and they came right out... Not sure if that would work on the KTM or not but it might be worth a shot.

KTM is giving me a new tank no charge!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast