Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age Restrictions

Hello. To help fill in a few gaps of info, here we go........

-District 14 does not run any classes that do not comply with the State Law. All kids on ATV's are at least 12 years of age. An ATV is a 4-wheeled vehicle that is between 50-500cc (along with a few other defining characteristics) All "50" quads are under 50cc, therefore classifying them as ORV's by that same law. This is how we run the '50 class' of ORV's at our races for kids under the age of 12, they simply need their ORV training certificate, just like 2-wheeled ORV's.
    -What brought the first shut-down of kids ATV's had nothing to do with ATV's or anyone not liking ATV's....one of our legislative directors sons was riding his motorcycle (on private property) when a tree had fallen on him while he was riding and broken his leg. The ambulance call got the attention of a DNR officer who came in to investigate and issued a ticket. The point of the ticket was in the same part of the law where the ATV part was and he realized that we were in violation of State Law. At that point, we had no choice but to cease what we were doing until we could get the laws changed. In the mean time, we slapped on the band aid and are running the few classes that we legally can at this point.
    -Since that point, we have begun attacking things from multiple directions to be able to get the kids back on the track and while slow, we are making progress. Currently we have Senate Bill 296 which finally made it out to the floor after a couple failed attempts and almost a year in committee. We need everyone possible to bombard their Senator with emails that kindly ask them to support SB296 because you support it. The more email pressure they receive, the more they realize the importance to their constituants.

Hopefully that helps a little bit. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Grrrrr

I know this post is old to say the least, but I just moved from Fl to Mi. In Fl my twin boys that are 5 ride there little 50 no issues, I stumbled across this issue or law when I was researching a few places to ride. I also noticed that D14 has kids under 10 in the classes so I got to thinking wtf and further researching eventually coming acorss this post.

Did anything ever happen with this SB 296, I was looking to get my self and kidos into some form of racing. Overall I am just pissed and disappointed that my kids can't ride with dad and enjoy all that Mi has to offer for riding.

As it seems from the D14 ATV motocross rules, it is great that kids can race, but wtf can't ride supervised with parents??
    2006 TRX450ER- Full DG X2, Lidless K&N, Green Wire, MSR Bars, DWT Champion in a Box, MXR6's, AC Nerfs, JD +2's, Axcalibar
    2009 Polaris XP550
    05 KFX 50-drilled this grinded that, boom pow its faster

07 HD XL883 slowly getting bobbed

PM for "Quad Life" stickers and shirts

Grrrrr

I know this post is old to say the least, but I just moved from Fl to Mi. In Fl my twin boys that are 5 ride there little 50 no issues, I stumbled across this issue or law when I was researching a few places to ride. I also noticed that D14 has kids under 10 in the classes so I got to thinking wtf and further researching eventually coming acorss this post.

Did anything ever happen with this SB 296, I was looking to get my self and kidos into some form of racing. Overall I am just pissed and disappointed that my kids can't ride with dad and enjoy all that Mi has to offer for riding.

As it seems from the D14 ATV motocross rules, it is great that kids can race, but wtf can't ride supervised with parents??
    2006 TRX450ER- Full DG X2, Lidless K&N, Green Wire, MSR Bars, DWT Champion in a Box, MXR6's, AC Nerfs, JD +2's, Axcalibar
    2009 Polaris XP550

heres some bs 4 u.MI state law kids under 12 cant ride MI orv trails on an atv............6year olds can ride DIRT BIKES on them....... kinda 1 sided dont you think. Lots of tracks for mini atv riders to ride. LOOK under ATV/UTV racing and go to District 14 lots of places to ride.
    Davy Woodbury #72 (70 cvt)

Nick Woodbury #57(50CVT)
    2010 Northern Champ 50 limited

Up and comming
    Tyler and Jaden Woodbury

Yeah I saw that for dirt bikes, I don't get it, one sided for sure. What puzzled me was how it says under 10 can't ride unless its for farming or something lol....but it appears ok to race, I am all for racing but damn if my kid can race then one would think a trail with mom and dad would not be a problem. I guess racing is in a sense a bit more of a controlled environment vs. the parents that don't supervise kids on ORV's/ATV's.

I'm not against dirt bikes or anything, I have considered adding bikes to my riding, 1st reason is since the two closest tracks to Algonac Mi (baja and freelin) don't either allow quads in practices at all or only do at D14 events. I really gotta travel to ride MX now. 2nd if I am going to get hassled for my kid riding quads for being under 10, then I might as well put them on a CRF50 so we can still have fun times. A large part of me wants to give them a finger and do what ever I want, see how much it is actually enforced. I really wanted to take them to Silver Lake lol thats out for a 6 years. boooo I wish all this would change
    2009 Polaris XP550

maybe a fake ID.. might as well let him pick up beer at the 7-11 also
    RECREATION TIRES
    www.rectires.com

the same kinda of law is going into affect in south carolina real soon where no kid can drive a atv, but can ride a dirt bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12