This may only be true for Michigan but anyone who has any feedback please post up.

I stopped into my local dealership today on my lunch break looking to purchase a 50 and 90. The 90 would be for my 8 yr old nephew (bought by grandpa for the grandkids) and the 50 would be for my little girl (under 4 yrs old). The sales man told me that he couldn't legally sell me either quad unless my kid was of legal age. So I went back and looked it up on michigan.gov and here's their guidelines:
1.) Children under 10 cannot operate any 4 wheel ATV
2.) 10-11 can w/ valid ORV certificate on PRIVATE land
3.) 12-15 can w/ valid ORV certificate
4.) 16 - up...obviously yes, no cert required

So my question is:
If my child wants to race in the 4-6 yr old class at my local track, how can they "legally" practice? Also, how can the tracks in MI get away with age brackets under 10 when they're technically not legal to ride until they're at least 10?

This really sucks because you can start riding dirt bikes at any age and can ride trails under 10 w/ adult supervision and ORV cert.

Is this just something specific to Michigan or do the rest of you face the same issues?

What am I supposed to tell my daughter when mom, dad, grandpa and uncle are across the street riding on grandpa's 56 acres and she wants to get a quad and ride with us?