Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age Restrictions

Age Restrictions

This may only be true for Michigan but anyone who has any feedback please post up.

I stopped into my local dealership today on my lunch break looking to purchase a 50 and 90. The 90 would be for my 8 yr old nephew (bought by grandpa for the grandkids) and the 50 would be for my little girl (under 4 yrs old). The sales man told me that he couldn't legally sell me either quad unless my kid was of legal age. So I went back and looked it up on michigan.gov and here's their guidelines:
    1.) Children under 10 cannot operate any 4 wheel ATV
    2.) 10-11 can w/ valid ORV certificate on PRIVATE land
    3.) 12-15 can w/ valid ORV certificate
    4.) 16 - up...obviously yes, no cert required

So my question is:
    If my child wants to race in the 4-6 yr old class at my local track, how can they "legally" practice? Also, how can the tracks in MI get away with age brackets under 10 when they're technically not legal to ride until they're at least 10?

This really sucks because you can start riding dirt bikes at any age and can ride trails under 10 w/ adult supervision and ORV cert.

Is this just something specific to Michigan or do the rest of you face the same issues?

What am I supposed to tell my daughter when mom, dad, grandpa and uncle are across the street riding on grandpa's 56 acres and she wants to get a quad and ride with us?
    ~ 2008 Suzuki LTR450 ~
    ~ 2004 Yamaha YFZ450 ~
    ~ 2006 Apex MX 90 ~
    ~ 1990 Yamaha Champ 100 ~

There are similar rules everywhere. The age restrictions are if you are going to trail ride or ditch ride. The Gov. wants you to be 16 or older to ride the big quads, 12 and over for 90's and I don't know about the 50's. MI may have added more restrictions of their own but you get the idea. If you go back and tell the dealership you want them for pit bikes or something of that nature they shouldn't tell you no. Most want to make the sale. If all else fails see if a kid you know, who is of age, will help you out. I had my youngest brother help me out on our first purchase of a Pred. 90.

As for the racing/practicing...this is why you sign release forms and things like that. You put your child out there at your/their own risk. The tracks also pay(I believe) hefty insurance and are privately owned. It may be tougher in MI for mini's to race(I don't know first hand) but there are many other places nation wide that are mini friendly. Sound like MI kinda stinks with all the rules. Good luck with your purchases.

Kevin
    "You gotta pin it to win it!"

08 Raptor 250SE #21
    08 DRX2 50 (stock) #22
    04 Pred 90 (stock)
    04 1/2 Sportsman 500

Sponsors:
    Linda's Lil Angel's Childcare(Mom), G-Force Powersports(drrnation.com)
    Special Thanks to: Colsch Cycle "woodsracer22" (engine builder)

Those are not the rules everywhere. Those specifically are only in MI. In Indiana, you can operate an ATV on private property and on public land (i.e. ride areas) as a child with parental supervision. IN does not really have any guidelines set in stone as to age progression. There restrictive guidelines put into place by the CPSC that say you can't ride a 90cc ATV until your 13 I think and definitely no 450's under 16. As far as the comment about how tracks hold races with kids, the simple answer is most don't. Redbud does not race mini quads except at Nationals and they will only allow them to practice on the peewee track. I know if I lived in MI I would do what I want. I wouldn't allow the state to tell me what to do with my own child. We ride at my brothers house in Grand Junction, MI and we get no problems. It's not like the state police are out looking for unauthorized 4 year-olds riding ATV's. Also I think the DNR is charged with enforcing those laws.

At any rate it's all BS.

I just remembered also...there is a guy on here who went thru the same issue and rather then fight the system or cause problems he bought Eton Rovers which fall into a different category. I know you won't be racing these but may be something to look at if you just want to go and ride. Here is the link... http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=328792
    "You gotta pin it to win it!"

08 Raptor 250SE #21
    08 DRX2 50 (stock) #22
    04 Pred 90 (stock)
    04 1/2 Sportsman 500

Sponsors:
    Linda's Lil Angel's Childcare(Mom), G-Force Powersports(drrnation.com)
    Special Thanks to: Colsch Cycle "woodsracer22" (engine builder)

Good idea.

When we purchased atvs for our kids the dealer told us the same thing. You just have to "fib" about the age of your children. That is what we did. It is just a rule made to cover the butts of the manufacturer and the dealer. They dont follow up w/you about it.

Originally posted by tireman43
    I just remembered also...there is a guy on here who went thru the same issue and rather then fight the system or cause problems he bought Eton Rovers which fall into a different category. I know you won't be racing these but may be something to look at if you just want to go and ride. Here is the link... http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=328792
    Funny you mention that cause I saw him w/ his boys and the rovers in the newest DIRTWHEELS today!
    I am in Michigan too and all I can say is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    That is technically the law and also the reason there were no youth atv races for a couple years here in District 14... its an old B.S. law from the 3 wheeler days when they could be purchased for anyone and Baba Wawa screwed us all in the ATV world.
    There is in fact a petition that I cant find the link to right now.
    It was NEVER enforced but from what my understanding was that the chairman of the District 14's kid was riding a utility quad and a branch fell off a tree and hit him, he went to the hospital to get checked over and a DNR officer caught wind ( Most of them here are anti ATV[at least the few Ive encountered]) and wrote a ticket and therefor being the chairman he could not ignore the law which NOONE knew about. Afew years have passed, the chairman has changed , and we (and our kids) are a racin!
    I may not be 100% correct but I am buddies with , a club member with, and a racer with Andrew Smith who has been the district 14 ATV MX chairman forever (untill this year).
    Id say RUN EM but thats up to you, the rest of us do.....

When I bought the Pred 50 a couple years ago I was reminded it was for me and thats all good. Id just buy and as long as you dont mention anything else then no harm no foul.
    By the way my dad has been a cop here (and not to atv friendly by the way) for 29 years (Eaton County) and has never heard of such a thing and w/ the liberal we have "running" things here (into the ground) its best right now not to stir things up.
    Its a VERY obscure law and not enforced.
    Just dont tell any lawyer friends..lol (is there such thing)?

The dealers out my way inform you that if the 90 is for someone yonger then 12...they can't sell it to you.

They tell you up front before you say something they don't want to hear. CYA is the game.

Heres an email I just got today :
    Hello Everyone, we NEED YOUR HELP! The ball is finally beginning to roll and we need your help to keep it going. Below you are going to find information about Senate Bill 296. Basically, this is what we need to get all of the kids out to the track! MX riders...this will allow us to fill the gap in classes that we are missing. XC riders...this helps to open the flood gates and start getting kids racing XC! Please take the 2 minutes to click on the link to find your senator and just send a simple, brief note letting him/her know that you support SB296 and you'd like them to also! Also try to get everyone in your household and everyone that you know to do the same, the more emails that we have and the more noise that we make, the better chance we have to get this passed! please help!!!!

All,

Please email your contacts for help passing SB 296. We may only have 2 weeks to bombard the senate will email support for the bill.

If you have a web site, please post this (below) or your own version of it ASAP. We got SB 296 passed thru committee yesterday. Now we need as many people as possible to email their senator and ask him/her to support it. It could go to the full senate for a vote as soon as 2 weeks!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

MARCH 5, 2008. PLEASE HELP ASAP ... and tell your friends!

What to do:

Click this link to find and email your state senator.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/Senat...ur-senator.htm

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the text above to your browser.

What to say in your email: In your own words, make these points:

I'M A MOTOCROSS (or motorcycle or ATV) RACER AND I SUPPORT SENATE BILL 296. PLEASE VOTE FOR IT!

What does Senate Bill 296 say? It's a competition exclusion for a Michigan law that was quietly changed back in 1995. There are two problems with that law, Michigan Public Act 451.
    1) Kids under age 16 cannot ride a bike or ATV unless they first attend a state safety training course and carry their class certificate card with them. The course relates to trail riding and basic motorcycle safety (how to apply the brakes, etc.)
    2) Kids under 10 cannot ride a quad of any size for any reason, anywhere. Kids age 10 and 11 can ride a quad on their parents' property only.

SB 296 excludes riders in an organized practice or race from these requirements. We got it passed through the Senate Transportation Committee; next it goes to the full Senate for a vote. We don't know the exact date, but it could be as soon as two weeks.

THE DNR IS OPPOSING THE BILL. WE NEED TO FLOOD THE SENATE WITH SUPPORT FOR THIS BILL!! EMAIL 'EM TIL THEIR SERVERS CRASH!!

=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast