Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats interchangeable with YFZ450

Whats interchangeable with YFZ450

Looking to upgrade from a YFZ450 to a DS450, so I'm trying to find out if any of the aftermarket bits will fit ?

Can anyone tell me what the bolt patterns on the DS450 are?

Will the precision dampner work? A previous thread asks about an adapter?

Can I use my elka's i.e. what are the DS shock lengths and are the mounting holes the same?

I don't know if I would call moving from a YFZ450 to a DS450 an "upgrade". I own both and each has their good and bad points. I like the thought that the DS has all the latest technology with the no weld aluminum frame, and EFI, and Aluminum a-arms, etc... But when you actually ride it side by side with the YFZ you realize it is just a matter of preference. The ergonomics and the way the powerband is distributed are the two biggest diferences in my opinion, and I have several friends that I let take test drives on both of my machines who like the YFZ better... Personally I think that for someone who is used to a YFZ it may take a while to appretiate the feel of the DS. Although when I sit them next to each other the height isn't that different, you feel like you are sitting higher on the DS. I am a bigger guy so I kinda like that the DS feels like a bigger bike, but it seems my smaller friends tend to like the YFZ more...

I know that didn't answer your question.... I will run out to the garage and see if the bolt pattern is the same.

I love my ds450 and I upgraded from and honda and I have ridden yamahas. I think it rides so much better and handles great. But it just needs the bottom end fixed but I think when I get my exhaust it will fix that problem.
    2008 Can Am DS450!
    MOTOWORKS EXHAUST
    POWER COMMANDER 3
    K&N AIR FILTER W/OUTERWEAR
    BRP NERF BARS
    BRP HEEL GUARDS
    PRO TAPER BARS
    RAZR REAR TIRES
    ENGINE ICE

Originally posted by ds450
    I love my ds450 and I upgraded from and honda and I have ridden yamahas. I think it rides so much better and handles great. But it just needs the bottom end fixed but I think when I get my exhaust it will fix that problem.
    I guess I am just saying that all the 450's are so close that it is hard to say that moving from one 450 to another is an upgrade. I like my DS450 so far too. My only complaints are the lack of low end and the coolant leak... I will have to wait until the end of the summer after it has taken some punishment to see if it is really as I think it is...

I belive the DS uses the honda bolt pattern so their wont be anything you can use from the YFZ
    2007 450R
    Racers Edge AZ--FCI

Yes the Ds450 uses the bolt pattern that Honda uses, and some suzukis and some kawis use it also.
    2008 Can Am DS450!
    MOTOWORKS EXHAUST
    POWER COMMANDER 3
    K&N AIR FILTER W/OUTERWEAR
    BRP NERF BARS
    BRP HEEL GUARDS
    PRO TAPER BARS
    RAZR REAR TIRES
    ENGINE ICE

Originally posted by Spaceace
    I don't know if I would call moving from a YFZ450 to a DS450 an "upgrade". I own both and each has their good and bad points. I like the thought that the DS has all the latest technology with the no weld aluminum frame, and EFI, and Aluminum a-arms, etc... But when you actually ride it side by side with the YFZ you realize it is just a matter of preference. The ergonomics and the way the powerband is distributed are the two biggest diferences in my opinion, and I have several friends that I let take test drives on both of my machines who like the YFZ better... Personally I think that for someone who is used to a YFZ it may take a while to appretiate the feel of the DS. Although when I sit them next to each other the height isn't that different, you feel like you are sitting higher on the DS. I am a bigger guy so I kinda like that the DS feels like a bigger bike, but it seems my smaller friends tend to like the YFZ more...

HMM... I raced my YFZs in the WORCS series for the last 4 years. I adapted to the DS pretty quickly and was almost more comfortable on it than I was the YFZ. I also thought that the DS felt small compared to the YFZ. It seems weird because the YFZ usually feels really small to lots of people, but I thought the DS felt even smaller. Small, but I still didn't feel cramped on it. I'm only 160 lbs and 5'8"

The obvious things are reusable on the DS. Like handelbars and handguards. Some stabilizers will still work from the YFZ. Other than that sort of universal thing I dont think anything will fit from the YFZ. Definetly not shocks.
    Waters Racing
    Team Epic Can-Am #95 DS450

Can-Am, Epic, BRP, FMF, Maxxis, Fox Racing Shox, Douglas Wheel Technology, MotoX Nutrition, Tsubaki, Falicon Cranks, CP Pistons, Tag Metals, Quadtech, Velocity Filters, Precision Racing Products and Team RPM

Originally posted by WatersRacing
    HMM... I raced my YFZs in the WORCS series for the last 4 years. I adapted to the YFZ pretty quickly and was almost more comfortable on it than I was the YFZ. I also thought that the DS felt small compare to the YFZ. It seems weird because the YFZ usually feels really small to lots of people, but I thought the DS felt even smaller. I'm only 160 lbs and 5'8"

The obvious things are reusable on the DS. Like handelbars and handguards. Some stabilizers will still work from the YFZ. Other than that sort of universal thing I dont think anything will fit from the YFZ. Definetly not shocks.
    I too feel that the DS feels cramped/small compared to the YFZ. I have not ridden a DS but after sitting on one at the dealership the position of your legs made me feel like I was on a mini-quad compared to my YFZ.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

Thanks for that guys.

After racing Yamahas and all the problems we have had, it looks like its an upgrade!!!

The reason for the question is we have been offered a sponsorship deal on the DS450 to race MX but its 2 stock bikes. Thus it would be good to use what we can from the YFZ

Looks like I'll have to spend some $$$ as I have to get the bike up to MX race spec.
    Epic a-arms, fox shox, new race engine package, new pipe, rear axle, the list goes on

Anyone got some good deals LOL

I just went through this myself found nothing is "bolt on" from the YFZ. Good news is the DS doesn't need the upgrades as much as the Yamaha. The DS frontend is so smooth a dampener isn't a necessity as it is on the other bikes. After tuning my shocks I don't see spending big money on suspension(unless I get alot faster), and if you add a pipe and pull the airbox lid low end power is not a problem.
    DS 450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast