Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from a 400EX

Switching from a 400EX

I am thinking seriously about buying a Banshee. I currently have a 400ex that is a 426, hotcams stage 2, white bros pipe, lectron carb, Roll Design front end, etc etc...

It just doesnt quite do it for me... I had a quadracer 250 back in the day and loved the 2 stroke powerband... This 4 stroke EX is just too bland for my taste...

My question is - how are Banshees as trail bikes? I am not a dune rider or hill climber - just fields, trails, and woods....and maybe a practice run or two on an MX track....

Should I shut up and keep my EX, or go for the 2 stroke?

Re: Switching from a 400EX

Originally posted by mbx5
    I am thinking seriously about buying a Banshee. I currently have a 400ex that is a 426, hotcams stage 2, white bros pipe, lectron carb, Roll Design front end, etc etc...

It just doesnt quite do it for me... I had a quadracer 250 back in the day and loved the 2 stroke powerband... This 4 stroke EX is just too bland for my taste...

My question is - how are Banshees as trail bikes? I am not a dune rider or hill climber - just fields, trails, and woods....and maybe a practice run or two on an MX track....

Should I shut up and keep my EX, or go for the 2 stroke?
    ehhh. By where you ride, I don't think it would be best..

If you did do hillclimbs and more wide-open, i would say go for it. The banshee can be done up to be alright in woods, but if thats all your doin then I don't recomend it.

If you get the banshee anyway, this is a great setup for trails:

12 tooth front sproket
    PT Mid-range/FMF Gnarly
    milled head
    Or leave it stock. Probably the most bottom end you'll get.

My recomendation for your stlye riding is a raptor 700. You can find 06's for around 4000. They have big balls and gobs of torque.
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

I too would have to say that if you are just riding trails, woods with the occasional MX, Banshee might not be your best choice, Unless you want to spend some $$ on upgrading the motor and suspension so that it is set up for that type of riding.
    1987/2001 Banshee

Done....For Now

IMHO... Banshee's are king of the dunes while the 400ex is a hard competitor for king of the trails. I ride a 400ex primarily at the dunes and I can not keep up with my banshee counterparts but once we hit the trails on the edge of the dunes the shee's can't keep up with me on the 400ex. If you need more power stay away from the shee's for trail use and get a raptor 700, KTM, 525, Polaris Outlaw 525 or a 450r with a 480 and HRC kit. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Or keep the 400 and also get a shee.
    Red '06 Honda TRX400EX
    lightly moded

Banshee + Trails = Very big workout and stuck alot if there are ruts
    V-Twin King Quad

Originally posted by firefighterjosh
    Banshee + Trails = Very big workout and stuck alot if there are ruts
    lol that is true too. Last time I went trail riding with some friends was last summer I think. Friend has a cabin/cottage in a forest and trails all throughout there. We load up and go out and man, it sucks with stock suspension, let alone clutching it in certain spots to stay in the powerband,lol.
    1987/2001 Banshee

Done....For Now

i have a banshee and i do great in the trails and on mx tracks. you just have to kno how to ride it. haha but yea that is true about gettin stuck on ruts just get some aftermarket suspension on ebay for cheap and ull be good. but other than i think it rips in the trails. and remember if u like it then get it who cares wut everyone else says.it makes it that much better when your goin through the trails or an mx track and your whoopin all the 4 strokes haha( relax 4 stroke riders dont get your panties in a bunch)
    2002 Banshee-boost bottle, K&N air filter, vforce reeds, itp h-d's on back

1988 250r-K&N air filter, fmf pipe, AC Racing nerfs

Yea they can make good quads for trails. But if you are in tight, twisty trails and then goes into a hill...you will be doing a bit of clutching so that you can get the revs up to the powerband. I'm not saying, no don't get a banshee for trails, but they arn't the best for trails either, especially with stock supsension
    1987/2001 Banshee

Done....For Now

IMO banshee = practice bike. They do ok in the trails they do OK on the MX track, but I have yet to see a awesome rider on a banshee.

I raced a banshee for a couple years in XC. I did ok, it would wear my arese out too. Arms would feel little jello cuz of the harder steering and tough thumb throttle and all the clutching and shifting I had to do.

Then I got on a 4 stroke quad and WOW I could last the whole race without my arms feeling too bad.

Banshee is a good quad to get in shape, but its not a very good platform for a race quad
    V-Twin King Quad

Originally posted by firefighterjosh
    IMO banshee = practice bike. They do ok in the trails they do OK on the MX track, but I have yet to see a awesome rider on a banshee.

I raced a banshee for a couple years in XC. I did ok, it would wear my arese out too. Arms would feel little jello cuz of the harder steering and tough thumb throttle and all the clutching and shifting I had to do.

Then I got on a 4 stroke quad and WOW I could last the whole race without my arms feeling too bad.

Banshee is a good quad to get in shape, but its not a very good platform for a race quad
    yet to see a good rider on a banshee huh?
    This guys cliff jumps are insane
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast