Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose Racing DUAL GASSER Thumb & Twist Throttle Combo!

Thumbs up Moose Racing DUAL GASSER Thumb & Twist Throttle Combo!

Hi guys,

Just finshed some riding time with the Moose Racing Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle..this thing is Badd!!! It is made by Terry Cable and also sold by them.

For those of you that came from dirt bikes to quads, this is almost a must have! No more thumb cramp on long rides, etc, and the 1/4 turn throttle makes the throttle response with the twist a TON of FUN!

For those that have never seen this, it is a combination thumb and twist throttle. You can use the thumb throttle (which IMHO is ergonomically better than the stock one) or use the twist throttle. When in normal mode both are active, you just use the one you want. Then if you want a more rigid handle bar, you can push in a pin and lock the twist throttle and it is just like stock.

Installation was a snap, you can use your stock cable and it took me about 10-15 minutes to install, including changing the grips.

Retail is $149, but my local Honda parts dude cut me some slack and I got it for $119, and he had it delivered from their distributor in 4 hours! They are also on Ebay for around that price.

So far, 2 Thumbs (and Twists) UP from me. :-)

2008 TRX400EX - RED/BLACK and sometimes ALL BLACK - Photo Gallery
    HIPER Tech 3 Wheels - 10" 3+2 BeadLock Fronts - 9" 3+6 Double BeadLock Rears - Maxxis iRazr 22s/20s
    Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Full System w/WideBand O2 Sensor
    UNI Filter / K&N PowerLid - 42 Pilot/Adjustable Needle/158 Main
    Pro Armor - A-Arm Guards - Skid Plate - Pro XC Bumper - Swing Arm Skid
    BlingStar DC Racer Nerf Bars w/Extreme Pegs
    Houser Racing +1 A-Arms
    Warn RT15 Winch with AmSteel Rope and Custom Mount
    Trail Tech Vapor with Indicator Dash
    Fasst FLEXX Handlebars with Trail Tech Bar Mount
    PowerMadd Handguards with Rox Speed FX Mounts and Aluminum Hand Wraps
    Moose Racing Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle
    Custom Carbon Fiber "Warning Labels" by CarbonCovers.net
    Tuned with LM-1 Wideband Tuner
    CRF450X Clutch Perch w/HotStart Lever Modified to Reverse Select Lever

Thats pretty sweet ...nice!!!
    (2003)426ex,edelbrock carb,maxis razors,dirt digger clutch,ported and polished,Kibblewhite valve springs and Black Diamond valves,Omf air scoops,Renthal all diamond grips hard compound,Whitebrothers E-series pipe,Hot cam stage 1,Hot Rods crank,Wiesco 11:1 piston,HD CRF timming chain,Pro Armor front bumper,Omf skid plates, K&N air fiter,Outerwears Prefilter,LA sleeve,Longhorn atv high bend big bars,AMR monster coil,08'450r heel guards & pegs,Streamline 7 way stabilizer,450r front shocks,Primary Drive gold 520 race chain,LSR 250r axle,ss front brake lines,07 sub frame, pretty much just engine work right now, top to bottom new.Would really like to convert my 03' plastics to 08' plastics.FOR SALE!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS.THANKS

08400EX
    how do you like your seat on your 08 ex? makes me want to convert my 03 to 08 plastics just so i can have that seat lol, it looks more comfortable than the originals.Also do you know if the frames on the 99-07 are the same as on the 08s?Thanks .
    (2003)426ex,edelbrock carb,maxis razors,dirt digger clutch,ported and polished,Kibblewhite valve springs and Black Diamond valves,Omf air scoops,Renthal all diamond grips hard compound,Whitebrothers E-series pipe,Hot cam stage 1,Hot Rods crank,Wiesco 11:1 piston,HD CRF timming chain,Pro Armor front bumper,Omf skid plates, K&N air fiter,Outerwears Prefilter,LA sleeve,Longhorn atv high bend big bars,AMR monster coil,08'450r heel guards & pegs,Streamline 7 way stabilizer,450r front shocks,Primary Drive gold 520 race chain,LSR 250r axle,ss front brake lines,07 sub frame, pretty much just engine work right now, top to bottom new.Would really like to convert my 03' plastics to 08' plastics.FOR SALE!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS.THANKS

Frame looks to be the same.

The seat is the biggest improvement. With the plastic update you can either love it or hate it, but the seat is GREAT! The whole quad feels much more roomier, much more "huggable" like a dirt bike because it is so narrow in front, and easier to move around on at speed. As far as comfort, come to think of it, I haven't thought about the seat when riding, which means a lot.
    HIPER Tech 3 Wheels - 10" 3+2 BeadLock Fronts - 9" 3+6 Double BeadLock Rears - Maxxis iRazr 22s/20s
    Houser Racing +1 A-Arms
    CRF450X Clutch Perch w/HotStart Lever Modified to Reverse Select Lever

I'll tell ya man. Im seriously thinking about using this for xc. It'll really help out when my thumb starts locking up. But then again, I dont think I'll be too great in the woods with a twist throttle.
    03 Honda 400ex: Built for Xc

01 Yamaha Blaster: Gettin' built

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

Originally posted by flauge
    I'll tell ya man. Im seriously thinking about using this for xc. It'll really help out when my thumb starts locking up. But then again, I dont think I'll be too great in the woods with a twist throttle.
    i would like to ride a quad with a twist throttle. i know when i hop on my ktm i like the twist.
    www.6gearmotorsports.com

my sister got that terry cable version for her 05 trx450r and she likes it, but rarely uses the twist part of it.

i took it up a dune at olds, came back down and used the twist and flipped the bike right over cuz i twisted it to far to fast.

i'm thinkin of gettin it for my 400 though.
    2004 TRX400EX
    K&N airfilter w/ outerwear, K&N power lid w/ outerwear, 170DJ main jet, stock pilot jet, WB e-series pipe, AC nerf bars, PRM grab bar, CSR +6 timing key, 8 paddle Sand Stars on 10" DWT, Polished stock front rims, 13t front sprocket, 450R front shocks

You can follow me but it's gonna hurt!

I had a motion pro twist for about a week and took it back off after I had a couple close calls with some trees....
    But with the dual gasser I think it'll be better.. Keep it on the thumb for the technical stuff, and when I get out on the straights or open parts switch over to twist to give my thumb a rest..
    03 Honda 400ex: Built for Xc

01 Yamaha Blaster: Gettin' built

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

I think having the option of a twist and a thumb throttle is a great idea. I would definitely like the thumb for the tight technical stuff, but the twist is a must for longer rides. I ride a lot (when I'm not in the sandbox, lol) and even after a whole season of riding, my thumb still gets cramped on all day rides. I'll be getting one of these when I finally get back.
    SOLD - '99 400ex - Hotcam Stage 2 | Cometic | HD studs | K&N | 3qt oil tank | Stainless Scoops w/hp adding stickers | White Bros air box vents | White Bros painted/wrapped E-series | 450r front shocks | Renthal | Moose levers | Acerbis | AC Pro-Pegs | Pro Armor Frame/A-Arm skids, Bullhorn style bumper | Slashers | Razr II's | White Bros e-brake block off | relocated battery in air box | upgraded lights | hide-away license plate. Much more to come.

-If you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English, thank a soldier.

Originally posted by DF400ex
    I think having the option of a twist and a thumb throttle is a great idea. I would definitely like the thumb for the tight technical stuff, but the twist is a must for longer rides. I ride a lot (when I'm not in the sandbox, lol) and even after a whole season of riding, my thumb still gets cramped on all day rides. I'll be getting one of these when I finally get back.
    Yes, even thou I come from a few decades of dirt bike riding I do see the advantage of the thumb throttle in some situations, although I do think if Quads had never had thumb throttles people could ride just as technical with a twist as they do now with a thumb. I do understand there is a lot more body/weight shift and handlebar leverage needed on a quad vs. a bike, but I think we adapt to what we are used to. Heck if those Superbike guys can hang off of the side of a bike at close to 200mph and still control the throttle, body/weight shift control and steering leverage at those speeds, I think we could learn to do it on a quad below 60-70mph, and we are on 4 wheels (part of the time :-)

Anyway, the main reason I wanted the Dual Gasser is there are times when we have to do some long rides on roads and easier areas where the twist will be a welcome addition to give the thumb a break. I first started thinking seriously about it on our 4 day ride trip to the Hatfield-McCoy trail over the New Years. On New Years eve my wife and I had ridden most of the day on the trails going from Gilbert to Man , WV . By the time we got to the trailhead at Man it was close to 4:30 and the temps were around 38 degrees. The HMT trails are closed after dark and at that time of year it would be dark in an hour so riding back on the trail was a no-go (legally anyway). Plus my wife was getting pretty cold as we were pretty soaked and mud covered from the ride. We made the decision to take the short cut home on the highway, that would only take 30-40 minutes or so at "highway speeds". After about 15 minutes of steady speed with the thumb throttle in mid 30 degree weather I thought my thumb was gonna break off. By the time we made it back in the dark I had made up my mind to research a combo throttle for at least situations like that. That is what finally lead me to the Dual Gasser.

I am heading out today to one of my favorite ride places so I will know for sure by the end of the day if it is a keeper, even thou I know it is. Funny thing is my wife rode my 400 yesterday and now she wants a Dual Gasser for her 250EX. Her first comment from riding was "dang, that twist throttle could get you into trouble" as she smiled real big :-)
    Houser Racing +1 A-Arms