Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality

Quality

Can some one tell me why Cobra has issues with the front brake set up.Is it they dont care or just quality control. I for one would be embarassed to say "Built in America", and for sure this will be the only year I will run a Cobra!!! This issue I was told was corrected in 08's. Now; let me defend my complaints. I purchased a new Cobra 70 and had it drop shipped to me on the 25th of Jan 2008.After uncrating it and going over all nuts and bolts this is what I encountered. Rims hit the top a-arms when turned left or right, clutch bleeder leaking, left front tire flat(had to break bead and clean out a piece of debre of some sort) and now this brings up the front brakes draging. Cobra's answer to me is remove whole spindle/break assembly in tach and ship it back for correction. Now no telling when I will get it back corrected. I know I am not the only one that has encountered this,but Cobra needs to get a hold on this break issue.After spending over 8000.00 on a NEW Cobra it should come with no problems.Thanks for letting me vent

Now let's see if I'm reading this right - the cobra was delivered on Jan.25th, you posted you crashed the cobra on Feb.3rd and now on Feb.6th we have a cobra bashing post with a list of complaints about a cobra that was crashed on Feb.3rd. Now I'm no JONNY COCHRAN - but where was the bashing post on Jan.26th?

Posted by a concerned cobra owner

Originally posted by team37
    Now let's see if I'm reading this right - the cobra was delivered on Jan.25th, you posted you crashed the cobra on Feb.3rd and now on Feb.6th we have a cobra bashing post with a list of complaints about a cobra that was crashed on Feb.3rd. Now I'm no JONNY COCHRAN - but where was the bashing post on Jan.26th?

Posted by a concerned cobra owner
    Reading it right??NOT! Read it again, the brake issue was noted right out of the crate. Wreck had nothing to do with brakes. Obviously you own a cobra,and this is not an isolated complaint.

Racedad, I have felt your pain. For two years my son raced Cobras. A 50 and a 70. We experienced a ton of problems. Overheating, broken frames ,several broken pipes and silencers,front brakes, carbs,auto clutch failure,manual clutch failure,lots of blown head gaskets,shift fork and shift cartrige problems, I could go on for a while but I think you get my point.
    We won a lot of races on these quads, including a 2006 ATVA EDT National title, but for all the races we won there were many heartbreaks due to equipment failures.
    The people at Cobra were always very good to me. They helped as much as they could as far as getting me parts or advice or helping me out at the tracks. They always did everything they could to help, but thier quads really seem to suffer from some quality issues.
    It got so bad for us that I had DC Motorsports build us a 70cc mod that was completed in August that has several races on it now with no problems. I am really looking forward to going to the nationals this year with a quad I trust. I removed the 70cc engine from our Cobra and had a KX65 engine installed so mabye it will be a reliable practice quad.
    Call Ryan at Cobra and tell him your problem and he will help. They really are great people.

Good Luck.
    Tom

Proud Dad of
    #224 Ryan Harness DC Motorsports 70cc Modified & 90cc Modified
    #3 Will Harness 08 DRR 70 and DC/Cobra/Kawi mod. 2008 ATVA MX National Champion 50cc Limited

Thanks to our 2010 Sponsors:

DC Motorsports
    Hetrick Racing
    Rath Racing
    Johnson's ATV Supply
    Oneal
    Bel-Ray
    BRM Off-Road Graphics
    Smith's ATV & Cycle
    Scott Goggles
    Douglas Wheels

Tharness, Ryan has since left Cobra and John Padock is the new guy in the shop. He seems sorta lost on this issue but is trying to address it.Like I said though,at the end of this season "im done with the cobra"I will move him to the super mini class on a reliable quad.Thanks for your input and I should have researched this further and less heart burn.

we can also sympathise with you we bought a new cobra 70 shifter in nov 2006 off the uk dealer for the equvalent of 12,000 dollars it was disapointment from the beginning we did not take delivery until march 2007 a mere 2 weeks before first race .After running it in as per handbook it coughed and spluttered round its first race meeting due to jetting issues the dealer hadnt any so had to deal direct with cobra they are great people but there engine reliability leaves a lot to be desired out of 20 race meetings we only managed 6 finishes 3 seconds and 3 firsts without breaking down and not finishing.Main problems all engine related even after fitting 90 kit head gaskets blowing due to head nuts coming loose had to retorque after every race eventually had to fit locknuts,crankseals kept blowing had to eventually drill and tap casings and fit lock tabs,main bearing failure fitted better quality bearings,piston failure,crankshaft failure,stators burning out,we also fitted a kx 100 engine it has been hammered as a practise bike and has been a totally reliable missile handling is superb unfortunately cant race hybrids here.

Brakes

IF you want the stock Cobra front brakes to work better. You need replace the pads with a severe duty set. You can find them at your local bicycle shop. As far as drag goes they should not at all.

Carey
    Fc Fabricating

Well got the brakes back from Cobra and not to my surprise they are still dragging and they replaced the rotors but did not correct the dragging. Now they are saying there is a natural drag in the bearing seal and this is what Im exsperiancing.This is crap!!! I believe they are using below standard materials (low bidder) and it cost the consumer to correct their screw ups. I am truely sorry I bought this piece of crap and i'll leave it at that.

Is the dragging constent or does it drag only on part of the disc?
    Tom

Proud Dad of
    #3 Will Harness 08 DRR 70 and DC/Cobra/Kawi mod. 2008 ATVA MX National Champion 50cc Limited

DC Motorsports
    Hetrick Racing
    Rath Racing
    Johnson's ATV Supply
    Oneal
    Bel-Ray
    BRM Off-Road Graphics
    Smith's ATV & Cycle
    Scott Goggles
    Douglas Wheels

The stock cobra disc are very thin, so if it is only rubbing on one spot you can easily bend the disc and make it better. If it is dragging on the entire disc the caliper isn't spaced properly. I had this same problem. I had to use washers on the caliper bolts to properly center the caliper on the disc. Let me know if this helps.
    Tom

Proud Dad of

DC Motorsports
    Hetrick Racing
    Rath Racing
    Johnson's ATV Supply
    Oneal
    Bel-Ray
    BRM Off-Road Graphics
    Smith's ATV & Cycle
    Scott Goggles
    Douglas Wheels

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast