Thread: 250r cylinder head stud problems

250r cylinder head stud problems

I have a 250r cylinder with one of the threads stripped out for the head studs. Has anyone ever had to use a helicoil repair on these threads. Is there enough clearance or am I going to wreck the cylinder in the process? Also will a helicoil kit give me the same size hole as stock or will it end up being a size bigger?

If there is a better remedy also please let me know.

i can sell you a 250r head

i'd carry it to a local shop and get them to have a look see. if at all possible i'd try to fix it without using a helicoil. juss my opinion.
    250R's...... "they gots bite wiff dat bark !!!" R's are fo sand bars.....

'86 TRX250R (265)
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '86 TRX250R (CT310) WIP
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '89 TRX250R (WIP)
    '88 Blastee (WIP)

Re: 250r cylinder head stud problems

Originally posted by paul_700
    I have a 250r cylinder with one of the threads stripped out for the head studs. Has anyone ever had to use a helicoil repair on these threads. Is there enough clearance or am I going to wreck the cylinder in the process? Also will a helicoil kit give me the same size hole as stock or will it end up being a size bigger?

If there is a better remedy also please let me know.
    The helicoil will work just fine but if it was mine I'd take it down to my local machine shop and have them install some steel inserts. Also the correct helicoil will give you the stock thread size.
    '00 Honda XR400R - The classic
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - The 450 killer - FOR SALE
    '04 Honda Recon - The yard machine
    '05 Honda 500 Foreman 4X4 ES - The plow

The heli coil is a great fix if it is done correct.... I have got a lot of mileage out of that fix
    Teufel

Appalachian Motorsports
    Appalachianmotorsports.com

METZGERHUND MOTORSPORTS

We Had The Same Problem With Our Blaster.WE Had The Hole Welded Then Re Taped It.Heliecoil Worked To. Just Depends On Your Exrerience.

Well the best result would be buying a new one but the next best thing would be a used one. I don't think the heli coul would hold up for too long because it won't be anywhere as strong as the other holes so it might end up poppin it or stretchin it and it won't run right at all after that. Especially where it's going to be getting hot so it's more prone to stretching and breaking. You could get a descent one for around 100 on ebay.
    2005 TRX 250EX
    2003 CRF 450
    1991 RM 250
    1987 CR 125
    1986 650 SX

Don't know if you handled already or not but I just wanted to add that steel inserts are stronger then the stock threads.
    '00 Honda XR400R - The classic
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - The 450 killer - FOR SALE
    '04 Honda Recon - The yard machine
    '05 Honda 500 Foreman 4X4 ES - The plow