Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw 90 Keeps Shutting Off

Outlaw 90 Keeps Shutting Off

My daughter's 2007 Polaris Outlaw 90 has a hot stall for the past several rides. It stalls out when its warm about 3-4 times per hour. It happens when she comes to a stop. I turned up the idle but it hasn't helped. I replaced the plug, the old one was black. I will drain the bowl in the near future. What else should I be checking? Any help would be appreciated.

PS- my sons 2008 Polaris Outlaw 90 does not have any stalling issues.

Thanks,
    Haynes

Does it start right up after it shuts down?

after 30-60 seconds it starts easily and runs good.

have you adjusted the fuel/air screw?

Where is the fuel/air mixture screw located? If its on the left side of the carb, maybe I'm adjusting that instead of thinking it was the idle screw!!!

The Outlaw 90 has a Keihin PTE 16 carb.

the pilot mixture screw which controls the fuel mixture from idle to low speeds is immediatly to the left of the idle screw. It is angled upward and has a brass screw with a "D" shaped head. You can turn it with a pair of needlenose if you dont have the proper tool.

Which way should I turn the pilot screw?
    Thanks for your help.
    Haynes

The factory setting is approx. 2.25 turns out from bottomed out, I have found that screw to travel sometimes due to vibration. Based on the fact that your plug was black you might need a little more air. count the number full and partial turns of the screw it takes to bottom it out clockwise. then start backing it out until you reach 2.25 turns and see how it runs. screw in = less air in fuel and screw out = more air in fuel
    i hope this helps.

Thanks jjd223. Very useful info.

Re: Outlaw 90 Keeps Shutting Off

My son's 2008 is doing this too. His plug was black. I think it got flooded trying start it many times. I bought a new plug and it ran fine for an hour. did it again again and i pulled the plug and had no spark (plug looked fine as i did not try and restart it). It has done this several times. I am going to check it with a multimeter next time it does it. I am unsure exactly where to check for juice through the ignition circuit. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by haynes1111
    My daughter's 2007 Polaris Outlaw 90 has a hot stall for the past several rides. It stalls out when its warm about 3-4 times per hour. It happens when she comes to a stop. I turned up the idle but it hasn't helped. I replaced the plug, the old one was black. I will drain the bowl in the near future. What else should I be checking? Any help would be appreciated.

PS- my sons 2008 Polaris Outlaw 90 does not have any stalling issues.

Thanks,
    Haynes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast