Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Kodiak

Yamaha Kodiak

Ok, so I have a Yahama Kodiak, that has run good with very little problems. But just recently it the electric start is not working right. I had t toggle with it a little to get it to start, but its to the point where you cant even do that anymore. I don't know whats wrong. I'm guessing maybe the switch is bad or something in the wiring. Has anyone else had this problem or can help me with it. Thx
    1927 T Bucket:
    -355 sbc

Honda 250ex:
    Jardine RT-4

So does any one have any Ideas.
    1927 T Bucket:
    -355 sbc

Honda 250ex:
    Jardine RT-4

nope lol...try highlifter.com
    V-Twin King Quad

I am having the same problem. Let me know if you hear anything. I am guessing it is the starter motor. I am taking off my starter and going to stick it to a constant 12V to see if it is working properly
    2000 416ex
    Weisco 11:1 piston
    White brothers pipe
    K&N
    Maxxis Razrs
    White Brothers CDI
    Stage 1 Hotcam

2006 Honda 450ER "Bone Stock"

whats it doing? i had to replace the battery in my kodiak like 3 times. probably your problem
    white/black 2008 Honda TRX400EX
    -Pro Armor Swing arm skidplate

I think it is the starter relay. The battery is fully charged. I can put my hand on the starter relay and try and start it and it is making a loud single tick sound. You can feel it through your hand.
    2000 416ex
    Weisco 11:1 piston
    White brothers pipe
    K&N
    Maxxis Razrs
    White Brothers CDI
    Stage 1 Hotcam

2006 Honda 450ER "Bone Stock"

Originally posted by atb7346
    I think it is the starter relay. The battery is fully charged. I can put my hand on the starter relay and try and start it and it is making a loud single tick sound. You can feel it through your hand.
    I just replaced the starter relay on my dad's old '86 TRX 250 because I thought that was the reason it wasn't starting .... it was making the loud clicking sound like yours is doing. Bought a new relay , installed it and it still did the same thing... so I pulled off the starter and took it apart . The brushes were FINISHED. Brought the starter to a starter repair shop , got new brushes installed and now she works better than before.

SO ... my suggestion , before spending money on a starter relay , take the starter off and open it up to see how the brushes are. I'll bet they are finished and that's why the bike won't fire up.

'86 Honda or 2xxx Yamaha ... a starter system is all the same.
    2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 .... Loaded !!!!

Working Together Towards A Common Goal --- Quitting Time !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx75Zoa_kVw&feature=related

im not 100% sure what ur problem is cuz im to lazy to read all the posts.

but my dads kodi 450 had a problem with the float getting stuck. somthing like the stock one gets rusted or somthing because of the water content in the gas. u can get them aftermarket and this wont happen.

or you can prevent it from happening in the first place by turning the gas off, (when not riding) and running it till it stalls and stops getting gas.
    white/black 2008 Honda TRX400EX
    -Pro Armor Swing arm skidplate

yeah, i had to replace a lot of electric parts on mine, my starter relay went out and i just not got that replaced.
    Garage:
    Kodiak 400 (Green)
    Grizzly 660 (Camo)
    05 Corvette
    07 Silverado
    Go-Ped (65+ mph)

Hey, anyone figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Today the starter even got suck on! it was trying to start even after my hand was off the starter button and undoing my battery!
    Any help would be great!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast