Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KQ stutters and stalls

Well, I got the tank out and the fuel pump out of the tank. I don't know how much dirt I let in vs how much was already in there but I'd say it was pretty dirty. Being used on the farm, there's lots of opportunities for dirt to settle in places you wouldn't think it could.

Anyways, I removed the tray on the bottom of the fuel pump and cleaned the screen thoroughly (or what I could). It was grimy and just a solid dark color. I used about a can of carb cleaner but I can't completely free it of what looks like dirt trapped inside. Can I remove the screen to try and do a better job? It looks like it slides in but I'm not sure and I don't want to break anything since a new fuel pump is in the $300 range.

What do you guys think?
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

1985 Yamaha Tri-Z (stock)

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

There was a guy that said it could be removed but he wont say how it comes off. He wants to charge ppl to do it.

They say it can't be done but I am sure there is a way. I would just clean it really well and run it. If it runs bad still then start taking it apart.
    V-Twin King Quad

It was the screen at the bottom of the fuel pump. I got it back together yesterday and it fires right up now instead of the 20 seconds of cranking it took before.

It seems to accelerate faster than before but that could be the lack of seat time.

I still have the stutter, like hitting the rev limiter, at 62mph. Its fine at 61mph. Could I be hitting the rev limiter?
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

Ya thats prally the rev limter. Do you have any clutch work or bigger tireS?
    V-Twin King Quad

Nope, it's all stock so far as I know. Have a set of All Traks ready to be installed once I feel like messing with it.

I was thinking the guy said he had hit 65 or 70mph with it while I was looking at it.

62mph is pretty fast, even on long straight stretches of road.
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

When mine was all stock I was hitting 72 MPH bouncing off the rev limiter.

Did you try cleaning the clutches? Just some compressed air would work
    V-Twin King Quad

Nope, what do I do? Pull clutch cover and hit the thing with air?
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

Do you know how many miles are on the belt?

Yes you are going to have to take off the peg in order to get the side cover off. Some people use some soap and water. But I think you would be ok with just some compressed air. Be careful its going to make a huge mess. Be sure to get the primary clutch really good. There are weights behind the plate and if there is belt dust built up they will stick.

If your belt is worn it might be slipping at the higher top speed so that is why its hitting the rev limiter faster.

I would prabably buy a Dayco HD belt or the Highlifter King quad belt (same thing) there alot cheaper then OEM and seem to last just as good.

You can change the belt without Taking the sheaves off. If you decide to do that I can tell you a easy way.

Also where the belt rides on the sheaves I would take a rag and carb cleaner and wipe them off. I just squirt the carb cleaner onto a rag and then wipe down the metal plastes. be sure not to get fingure prints on them

Hope this helps
    V-Twin King Quad

I'm sure it's the stock belt, some 4,000+ miles, I forget exactly.

I've thought about replacing the belt so when I do, I'll get back with you.
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

When you take your clutck cover off there is a little cage thing over the Primary. Its held on with 8mm bolts. Take it off. Then go to the secondary. There is 2 threaded holes. Take two of the bolts from the cage and put them in the holes. Then start to tighten them down. You will see the secondary separate from the belt. That way you can get it out.

Use the same method to get it in
    V-Twin King Quad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12