Thread: Just Got Back from the Dyno Part 2 ( Parts added

Just Got Back from the Dyno Part 2 ( Parts added

Hey look it's me again with actual data from a Dyno. Okay last week I had posted My HP runs that shows the power curve of a 11-1 stoek bore and a Hotcams 2 cam. Well I added a Edelbrock carb right out of the box and put the bike back on the Dyno. First I would like to say from a Butt-O-meter the bike felt faster and should have increased power. Well Dyno sheets dont lie! I made sure both are in STD Hp due to thats what I had before. A diference is a diference. Take a look at the data and see for yourself. First Picture (Sheet)is my new one from tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2001 400ex
    *FDO 463 Stroker kit, 13-1 JE piston,Hotcam 2, Edelbrock Carb, 15E Needle,K&N filter, , PRM Desert Bumper, Shockwears, Renthal bars, Moose handgaurds, Pro-Grips, Teather switch, WB Rev Box, High Rpm Muffler Bearings!!!
    I knew stroking was fun, but this is WILD!!!

Pic 2

Pic 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2001 400ex
    *FDO 463 Stroker kit, 13-1 JE piston,Hotcam 2, Edelbrock Carb, 15E Needle,K&N filter, , PRM Desert Bumper, Shockwears, Renthal bars, Moose handgaurds, Pro-Grips, Teather switch, WB Rev Box, High Rpm Muffler Bearings!!!

You can clearly see the Butt-O-Meter Lie's big time!! The line on the bottom of the first pic shows the a/f ratio at a solid 12-1 ratio (34.6 STD HP)vs the 17.5 (36.3 STD HP) on the second pic I was running before. This proves that running our bikes leaner then normal produces great HP! I dont advise everyone to go out and start leaning out thier carbs. You need to find a Dyno shop just like dynoedge that uses Wideband to tune. Plug checking will not show a mid band problem that you might be masking by runnning the bike fatter or leaner. Get good data, get on a dyno and you will be amazed what hidden power you really have!

If you live in Michigan give www.dynoedge.com a call. Everyone there is great to work with. Plus how many Dyno's do you know that you can run your bike at 11pm.!!!

Get on the rollers boys and lets make some HP!

Mark

BTW: Big, Try and agrue this one, I have a before and after!
    :devil
    Last edited by GoLikeHell; 11-25-2002 at 11:41 PM.
    2001 400ex

looks damm good for all you have done to your bike. looks like im going to be getting the stage 2 cam.

A dyno is a great tool huh, but remember what was posted in the first thread about numbers being off are very common. I have heard of tests performed on the same machine and dyno by two diff operators one right after the other get completely diff results.

From what I have heard dyno readings can be influenced by some pretty simple things like temp and humidity etc, and if set up diff from run to run things can change also.

I do agree that the machine itself doesnt lie but dont forget there are other factors involved with the results.

You seat of the pants test may not be all that off either since it appears that the carb did have an effect on the power curve which can be make the acceleration feel better or faster etc.

Good info and dont forget to post part III.

Just curious but how much do you have invested in motor mods?? Thats certinly a healthy EX you got their.

I really think that plug check can show a problem in a different jetting circut. My buddies shee was showing lean the other day and it was cause his needle was lean not his main. We ran his main up 4 sizes and it still showed lean. It just depends how you ride it, he hardly went over 3/4 throttle the day before when he rode it. When we put clamp on K&N's on my dad's banshee it also showed lean when the pilot was one size off. Though plug checking is diffinately not as acurate as using an gas analyzer. JMO
    I need to ride $@%! bad o-meter
    l1l2l3l4l5l6l7l8l9l10
    -----------------^----

01' 445EX
    86' 250R(for sale)
    Salem Honda/BMW/Ducati
    Countryside Fabrication

ELMO KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE

Originally posted by 440EX4me
    A dyno is a great tool huh, but remember what was posted in the first thread about numbers being off are very common. I have heard of tests performed on the same machine and dyno by two diff operators one right after the other get completely diff results.

* Boy how fast everyone forgets who started the last post. Same operator, same temperature, and almost the same humidity (point off). Lets quit trying to pick apart the dyno and operator, lets start using the information for what its worth.

I do agree that the machine itself doesnt lie but dont forget there are other factors involved with the results.

* Again, if you want to beat this dead horse some more, please post it in the orginal Just got back from the Dyno. I would like to keep this one free of BS that can cloud peoples heads when your trying to show real data.

You seat of the pants test may not be all that off either since it appears that the carb did have an effect on the power curve which can be make the acceleration feel better or faster etc.

* Butt-O-Meter lied big time! because of it being too rich. What happens in a rich condition is the bike will not respond as fast as it should (not really noticeable by butt-o-meter), then once the engine starts to clear you get a surge of power. The butt-o-meter goes Damn! and you get a sense of real power. This is why Dyno tuning is so important to gain optimum HP for your money. If it cost you 165 bucks to tune your bike on a dyno with a wind band sampling the fuel you will not be dissapointed.

Good info and dont forget to post part III.
    * Part 3, and so on will depend on the bashing, I will not spend hours debating dyno's, wideband, or mods. I will debate actual data and help others read a dyno properly.

Thanks for the reply
    Mark
    2001 400ex

Originally posted by airheadedduner
    Just curious but how much do you have invested in motor mods?? Thats certinly a healthy EX you got their.

* My mods are listed in my Signature. The only thing I didnt list is I cleaned up my exh ports and head pipe. Putting a ton of money in your motor doesnt mean its properly tuned to make optimum HP. I showed this by added a Edelbrock carb and showing less HP and torque.

I really think that plug check can show a problem in a different jetting circut. My buddies shee was showing lean the other day and it was cause his needle was lean not his main. We ran his main up 4 sizes and it still showed lean. It just depends how you ride it, he hardly went over 3/4 throttle the day before when he rode it.

* Changing a main will change even 3/4 throttle. ( 3/4 to full runs on the main). Plug checks will let you know if you are running too lean or fat right before shut down. Its a real good tool for making sure you do not mess up an engine, but it will not aid in setting your bike for optimum performance. Some of you might be saying i dont race my bike, all I do is trail ride. Well a properly tuned bike for your riding can make a world of difference!

One thing everyone needs to remember you are not running a 2 stroke motor, you can run a much leaner mixture and get great results.

Mark
    2001 400ex

I really think that plug check can show a problem in a different jetting circut.
    I think a lot of this depends on the "checker" cause I see guys who are totally baffled on this stuff (most of us) and a few that seem like they can hear or feel how a circuit is jetted.

* Part 3, and so on will depend on the bashing, I will not spend hours debating dyno's, wideband, or mods. I will debate actual data and help others read a dyno properly.
    I hope you do post up future results and warn you that if you get upset with the bashing you may be getting upset here fairly often so why not just blow it off.

Talk to your dyno operator and see what he thinks about his ability to make changes or have an effect on the readings. When I had discussed this with a pro stock drag bike engine builder in the past he had a lot to say about it.

I was curious if you had checked the dyno numbers on diff settings on the new carb and what you found?

Originally posted by 440EX4me
    I think a lot of this depends on the "checker" cause I see guys who are totally baffled on this stuff (most of us) and a few that seem like they can hear or feel how a circuit is jetted.

*Well I thought I had a good grasp on Jetting till I was shown something different on a two stroke that didnt make sense. BUT he backed it up with another pull on the dyno and the a/f transition was better and even made more HP.

I hope you do post up future results and warn you that if you get upset with the bashing you may be getting upset here fairly often so why not just blow it off.

*Dyno testing isnt free, and the shop isnt 5 miles from my house. Then to share all the the data I collected, show a/f and get slammed just set me off. I will post till i get bashed, then ill stop with real data and give everyone the Butt-O-meter readings. ( not trying to sound harsh, but im not happy)

I was curious if you had checked the dyno numbers on diff settings on the new carb and what you found?
    * I really havent had time to adjust the carb and get back on the dyno. I am home after having carpal tunnel surgery, i really shouldnt even be out tinkering on the bike. But once i do and i get back on the dyno I will post if no bashing goes on. If bashing does, ill email you the results

Thanks for the reply
    Mark
    2001 400ex