Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATC70, no spark, help!!

ATC70, no spark, help!!

I know theres not much to the electronics on these things, so this might be a simple fix. I have no spark at the plug. The run switch is good and so is the coil, so how do I check the rest of the electronics on this thing and what else is there to check. I appreciate any help, thanks.
    www.finishingforums.com

atc 70

did you check the stator, easiest way is unhook the 2 wires, connect a volt meter to them, switch volt meter too DC, pull the rope a few times. it's been a long time since i messed with them

If I remember correctly, there are like 3 or 4 wires comeing out from there. So which ones do I check and what should it read on the metter? Thanks for the reply.
    www.finishingforums.com

atc 70

what color wires, it's been a long time, i'll help if i can, all your checking is really a coil or 2 coils, it may have a exciter coil, take a ohm meter first and see if you can read between them, let me know the colors it might come back too me, what year atc 70, my son had one from 5 years old till he turned 10, i had every 3-wheeler honda made over the years,

what year is it.........i had an 85 and an 84,,,,,,,try checking the points behind the pull starter and then behind the flywheel..........

if the points are worn, or have a raised spot, or are out of adjustment,,,and do not break contact,,,,,,,,,,,,NO SPARK.

It is an 85. I don't have to pull the flywheel to check the points do I? Can I check them through the holes in the flywheel? I'll take a better look at it tomorrow and get back on here to let you know what I found. Thanks for all the help guys.

P.S.
    What should the points be gaped at?
    www.finishingforums.com

I just tore my '85 70 3 wheeler apart 2 days ago to get it running and to paint some stuff on it, it's been sitting up for 10 or 12 years. I will look at it tomorrow and see what wires you need to check.

Once again Thanks for all the help so far. I ride/love this little wheeler just as much as my kids if not more and would love to get it running again.
    www.finishingforums.com

Originally posted by danney f
    It is an 85. I don't have to pull the flywheel to check the points do I? Can I check them through the holes in the flywheel? I'll take a better look at it tomorrow and get back on here to let you know what I found. Thanks for all the help guys.

P.S.
    What should the points be gaped at?

you can check it through the holes..........but obviously to replace them you need to remove the flywheel............

to check the gap ,,,,,you can do it with it on but i never knew the gap distance,,,,,,,,,,,,i was instructred to set the points to open up just as the indicator in the case top points to the "F" on the flywheel

Thanks I'll work on it later today and let everyone know what I found out.
    www.finishingforums.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast