Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting an exhaust, need help

getting an exhaust, need help

i ordered a yoshi rs-3 full system the other day. i still need a jet kit. i'm going to try to find a 400ex intake boot and rig that up. i have a k&n filter. what i'm asking is that i know that taking the lid off helps a lot with air flow, but what could i do to help keep water and mud out. i know i won't be able to stop it completely but something to help. also, where should i start at jetting? i have no idea about that stuff so any help would be great. i'm between 500-600 ft. above sea level. and its cold, but i don't ride it much in the winter if that even would make a difference. thanks in advance

jetting

The guy that did mine, put a 160 in it and it ran awesome, im gonna have to say somewhere's right in that area will work.
    Im at sealevel! i also put the yoshi full exhaust on.. awesome pipe!@

For water/ mud protection you have a few options. The ones i know are:

1. outerwears cover for the filter (pretty basic and something i would not count on if i did lots of mud riding/water crossings)

2. K&N power lid (to my understanding its a lid that is also a filter but im not sure if its water proof)

3. EHS lid (is a lid that uses an outerwear to cover the airbox)

The EHS lid is something ive always wanted, but i don't really need it for the riding that i do. They are supposed to allow just as much air as an open airbox while still giving you water/mud protection. They also look to be good quality.

Re: getting an exhaust, need help

Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
    i ordered a yoshi rs-3 full system the other day. i still need a jet kit. i'm going to try to find a 400ex intake boot and rig that up. i have a k&n filter. what i'm asking is that i know that taking the lid off helps a lot with air flow, but what could i do to help keep water and mud out. i know i won't be able to stop it completely but something to help. also, where should i start at jetting? i have no idea about that stuff so any help would be great. i'm between 500-600 ft. above sea level. and its cold, but i don't ride it much in the winter if that even would make a difference. thanks in advance
    If you plan on riding in wet conditions, mud or whatever, just leave the lid on. You can buy those Uni inserts that you drill holes for and put those on top of the lid. Now I do run a K&N power lid and it does come with the waterproof prefilter. Water still gets into my box. I drilled a hole at the bottom of mine so water can drain better than the stock location. The stock drain location isn't at the lowest point in the airbox if you look.
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

With a bit of time and a couple of tools you can make an outerwears airbox lid like I did for my 400ex.
    Black 05 400ex---risers, tag fat bars, renthal sprockets, um bumper, full chassis skid, tusk nerfs, custom pb blockoff, UNI filter, custom outerwears airbox lid, srp timing advance key, Jardine RT-4 slip-on, kfx450 shocks, spal fan, tusk d flex handguards, ccp stabilizer, gbc x-rex/ duro hook ups,

rcatvrider, how did you do that and what all would i need to buy. thanks for the pic. how does it help with some water and mud? thanks.

i took the float bowl off today and found i have a 130 main and a 60 pilot. where would you guess i should start jet wise with the stuff i have now? thanks

60 pilot???
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

ya he's looking at the wrong jet , the jet your looking for should have 22.5 on it . most guy's change that jet to a #25 ,well after enough mod's have been done , keep looking .
    03 Z400
    13:1 JE piston
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    RHC Ferrea valves +1 intakes
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    42mm Sredrum TB fcr carb w//RAT 180&48@1000, 160&42@5000'
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel
    drz manual engine decompresser
    06 clutch ,450r plates ,400ex springs
    12 paddle 22x12x8 skat-trak TB exstreems (72 rollout)

Honda trx700xx, 751cc +3 stroke,+3 bore, +1 intake valves,

Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
    rcatvrider, how did you do that and what all would i need to buy. thanks for the pic. how does it help with some water and mud? thanks.

i took the float bowl off today and found i have a 130 main and a 60 pilot. where would you guess i should start jet wise with the stuff i have now? thanks
    You will need the bolts, locknuts for the other side, an outerwears airbox lid(around 20 bucks), and a piece of 1/8" or slightly thinner aluminum sheet, I actually used an old road sign. I then marked it all out, and cut the metal with a jigsaw and drilled the holes with a drill press. Then it's as simple as laying out the filter and cutting it with a sharp exacto knife. I screwed up washing it before and forgot to get any water off the prefilter. When I took the seat off the next day there were puddles of water on it and only a few drops of water in the airbox so I would say it it does pretty well in water/mud. The trails I ride are very wet/muddy so i also needed some added filtration.
    Black 05 400ex---risers, tag fat bars, renthal sprockets, um bumper, full chassis skid, tusk nerfs, custom pb blockoff, UNI filter, custom outerwears airbox lid, srp timing advance key, Jardine RT-4 slip-on, kfx450 shocks, spal fan, tusk d flex handguards, ccp stabilizer, gbc x-rex/ duro hook ups,

rcatvrider, do you also have a prefilter for the actual airfilter or just use that? and where did you get that at?

airmobile and cataway, what is that jet then? i was looking at my manual and thats what i thought that it was. i guess i looked at the wrong thing. haha. also, since i'm just doing an airfilter, jet kit, full exhaust, should i go up to a 25 with just that? any idea where i should start with the main jet. i was looking at dyno jet's website and i think the stage 2 is a 150. would that be right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast