Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new ds450

Exclamation my new ds450

bought it Saturday....15 min into the maiden ride clutch basket destroyed by a bolt not torqued correctly, dealer fixed temporary for Sunday's ride. 45 min into Sunday's ride....bent rear axle... not a professional rider very light jumps(not like they jump on the can-am website by any means) and no call from a can-am rep as to why my bike is not good. anyone out there who may have any feedback on the axle situation it would be helpful. i need something from my dealer or can-am to make me feel good about keeping this quad. i love the bike other than i haven't riden my 8300.00 toy for more than an hour.....
    shanester

08 ds450
    02 660 raptor
    07 raptor 700se
    05 yfz450
    05 artic cat 650 h1
    06 artic cat 700 efi
    01 recon 250

Need some pictures. I've seen some atrocious things done to the stock DS and none of what you described has occured.

I saw pre production units with tons of hours and miles on them without any clutch problems described.

As for the axle, I've seen some of these things flat out take monster hits, both amature and pro level and never saw a bent axle.

So how did you damage the axle?

TPR

pics are coming soon.... have a small track @ a friends house and he took it for a few laps. did'nt land any different then he normally does on the yfz or the raptor, noticed the right rear wheel wobble on about the third lap. it's back at the dealer and i'm awaiting to hear what their going to do for me. as for the clutch human error at the factory is the only thing that could have caused the porblem. mechanic showed me the inside of the cover and a bolt came loose and tore up the cover and metal shavings were all over.
    shanester

08 ds450
    02 660 raptor
    07 raptor 700se
    05 yfz450
    05 artic cat 650 h1
    06 artic cat 700 efi
    01 recon 250

I've had my ds450 on the track 3 times now. I've landed long on a couple 60 footers and had no problems.

I REALLY wanted to wait for a couple of months to buy the quad but I couldn't resist. It is a Very Nice ride. I can't wait to take it to 50" with pipe and filter.
    http://teambigotires.com/

DS450
    Flexx bars
    BRP Nerfs
    BRP Heel baskets
    Motoworks Exhaust
    Motoworks Oil-less airfilter
    Motoworks FMI
    Fox Float Evol
    Fox Podium X
    Epic A-arms
    LoneStar Gun Drilled rear axle
    Holz Steering stem

Originally posted by shanester22
    pics are coming soon.... have a small track @ a friends house and he took it for a few laps. did'nt land any different then he normally does on the yfz or the raptor, noticed the right rear wheel wobble on about the third lap. it's back at the dealer and i'm awaiting to hear what their going to do for me. as for the clutch human error at the factory is the only thing that could have caused the porblem. mechanic showed me the inside of the cover and a bolt came loose and tore up the cover and metal shavings were all over.
    Ok, cool.

Sounds like, yeah, someone failed to install the bolt correctly because I know they had no clutch issues on all the early releases and test units.

As for the axle, that just sounds wierd because I know from talking to racing experts outside of the atv world that gun drilled axles are at least as durable as their solid counterparts.

TPR

thanks TPR...It's very wierd that the axle is bent... don't want to paint a bad picture about the ds alothough the one i got has these issues. hopefully all works in my favor and dosen't leave me riding my recon 250 this weekend lol.
    shanester

08 ds450
    02 660 raptor
    07 raptor 700se
    05 yfz450
    05 artic cat 650 h1
    06 artic cat 700 efi
    01 recon 250

Truly the DS axle is equal to or a bit stronger than other stock axles.

Now it's not an aftermarket axle so we can't expect it to be as strong. I just know it is no weaker than other stockers.

TPR

Might be the funky lookin aluminum hub.

Not likely.

TPR

since i have a light day of work and haven't heard from the dealer or rep at all, going to the dealer today to see if i can ruffle somr feathers. i'm gonna shoot some video of the axle for you guys and take a few more pics and get them posted tonight...

when i jacked the bike up and spun the axle in 1st gear you can clearly see the wobble before the hub.
    shanester

08 ds450
    02 660 raptor
    07 raptor 700se
    05 yfz450
    05 artic cat 650 h1
    06 artic cat 700 efi
    01 recon 250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast