Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 400ex extensive upgrades

Do they? I looked and didn't see it. They show a fuzzy picture of a Duncan PC4000 cylinder on their website. But that's not an Ice Cube cylinder. I think all their 400EX work utilizes OEM cylinders, hence the "stealth" designation on their 400EX kits.

The show that picture but make no mention of any aftermarket 400EX cylinder. They mention re-sleeving, sending in your cylinder to save $350 on the stroker kit (a new OEM cylinder retails for about $350), they say nothing about an aftermarket 400EX cylinder, and Duncan wants almost $1000 for the PC4000 cylinder alone. To me, that all adds up to: no aftermarket 400EX cylinder from MaxPower, just re-worked OEM cylinders. Which is fine, I wouldn't personally spend a grand on a PC4000 anyway.

I think they're just using a picture of a PC4000 so they can show a cylinder.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

looking back at the emails between the rep and i i think you might be right cause i asked about a kit with a new cyclinder and he said yeah we have a kit when do you want the work done? we'll need your engine shipped. looking back at that he never said anything about the new cylinder. well that kinda changes everything cause the whole reason i was gonna go for the 460 stroker was getting a new cylinder so i was going to make everything right. with that i might be back to my original plan with a 426 kit but no cyclinder or crank, no hardfacing of the rockers or titanium valve spring retainers. But i'll still go with the rest of the stuff except maybe go with a stage 1 hotcams for extra low end.
    2004 450r
    2007 400EX

"Run her hard, but at the end of the day treat her like a lady!"

"Fix it right or fix it again"

To me that seems like it'll be too much motor for just the stock chassis with Elka's. This is what i would do for good performance on the cheapish side for the motor.

11:1 comp pistion (could go stock bore, or 406/416/426, whichever you prefer)

Hot cams Stage 2

HD valve springs

HMF Full system exhaust

K&N Filter or similar, no air box lid with an outer wares over the box and the filter.

MAYBE a port/polish but probably not till the first or second rebuild. I'd probably go 450R carb before i did port/polish. maybe.

You can get that stuff pretty cheap, and after those mods were done, i'd seriously look into some more stuff for that chassis. Full shocks, steering stabilizer, Axle/Arms, Antivibe stem with maybe Flex bars, Nerfs, Hipers.

Things like that. I think you're probably focusing on the wrong aspect of the quad

When you bought your 400ex did you know at the time of purchase that you were going to do this to the quad? and If you did why not just buy a 450 and have more hps and have relieablity with those mods that quads going to be so unrelieable and so expensive to do .you were better off buying a 450r.javascript:smilie('')

When you bought your 400ex did you know at the time of purchase that you were going to do this to the quad? and If you did why not just buy a 450 and have more hps and have relieablity with those mods that quads going to be so unrelieable and so expensive to do .you were better off buying a 450r.javascript:smilie('')

Perhaps he got a great deal on the 400EX? Maybe he's a trail rider and values Reverse.

Who cares? If its what he wants, let it go.

thats true i did get a good deal $5200 brand new. and the reverse is like a must i use it alot. not to mention i have put that thing through some stuff including mud which reverse comes in handy alot. i have pro armor nerfs, main skid pan, swing arm skid, and ebc brake pads. i'm actually getting ready to order pro taper 7/8" bars atv mid bend and roll design +1/2" steering stem. here's a pic as of about a month or so ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 450r
    2007 400EX

Just a little something to think about, If it were me spending that kind of money. I'd get Flex Bars and a cheaper steering stem, Roll Design things seem to be overpriced?

I think you'd be happier with Flex bars and a different steering stem. And the price would probably be similar.

you think so? what brand would you go with for the steering stem? ive heard nothing but good things about the roll design except the price. as for the bars i havent really heard anything about flex bars
    2004 450r
    2007 400EX

Price is the only thing that comes to mind when you talk about Roll Design. I have the stem and it's great I really dont care about price to much but havein a $400+ stem on a quad would tell a person to look else where for a stem.

If you want another choice Houser makes a great stem also.
    ~Dallas~

03' Roll Design/IMS-Roll/Custom Axis/C&D Racing 416ex

Special thanks to...
    Colby@C&D Racing
    Hardkor Engineering
    G4 Graphics
    Team2powersports
    RockyMountain ATV
    Chino886
    K&K ATV
    JL ATV
    Magic Racing
    Blais Racing
    Metro Powersports
    IMS/Roll Design
    Motosportoutlet
    Badger Cycle
    And To my wife

Motor mods- JE 11:1 comp,Stg 2 Hotcam,C&D Race ported head,Stock carb jetted,White Bros pipe. Ran on Turbo Blue 110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast