Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pros/cons wolverine 450

pros/cons wolverine 450

i want to buy the new 450 wolverine but have a few questions. is it more for speed or mud? my buddies go mud ridding and they dont really sink the bikes but they ride through some kinda serious stuff. i really like the way it looks and its a yami so im pretty much going to get it. i just want yall to tell me the pros and cons and all the things you love about the bike and what you think would make me buy the grizzly.
    your among the elite

In my opinion, the Wolverine is a giant pile of crap wrapped in some flashy tin foil.

That 'niche' of the market is much better served by the Renegade series. I've checked them out at my dealership, and have not seen them in action so i cant be sure. But i have seen the Renegades in action, my cousin has one.

In my opinion, they are far too heavy for that underpowered 450. not to mention the 350 is it? model. If you must get a 'sport 4x4' get a Renegade. But i'd much rather have a Grizzly 450 than a Wolverine 450. At least i'll be able to carry gear, plow, pull a trailer, have a nice winch. AND THEY HAVE IRS.

The Wolverine does NOT have IRS, which will blow for mudding because of the lower ground clearance.

Go for the Grizzly, or the Renegade 500

Just my opinion.

I kinda agree with the above, although I don't feel the wolverine is a pile of crap it is not all it is cut out to be.
    It may look hot but you would be better off with a grizzly.
    I was on the ropes with the 800 renegade x recently but i want to wait a few years to see how they hold up. I decided to modify my 700 grizz instead.
    If you can get a new grizz 660 you would be the poop.
    Of course the 700 eps is even better but for the budget minded the 660 is a good deal and some dealers can't move them so deals are out there.
    Is this your first quad?
    Me:'07 Grizzly Camo edition
    Warn 2500lb winch
    powermadd handguards
    Yamaha rear hard box
    SS108 ITP polished wheels wrapped in ITP 25" terracross tires
    Stadium Shocks w/rezzy all 4 corners
    Power Commander Unit
    Airbox kit
    EPI sport utility clutch kit
    2R racing exhaust tip
    2R racing foot pegs and siderails
    heated grips and heated thumb throttle

My boys: '05 TRX300ex, '05 Robbs racing TRX115, '03 TTR-125, '06 DRZ-125

no i have a drag bike and i want something fun to climb hills and chill on the dunes
    your among the elite

I have the wolvy and love it. I have raced it and for power it is ok. It is not the fastes atv. The one thing that I really liked about it is when you are not in the mud you can take it out of 4 wheel drive and just have it in 2 wheel.

Originally posted by randallp1
    no i have a drag bike and i want something fun to climb hills and chill on the dunes
    Do you mean "the dunes" in LA.
    I took my kids there last summer, and prolly headed back this summer.
    Me:'07 Grizzly Camo edition
    Warn 2500lb winch
    powermadd handguards
    Yamaha rear hard box
    SS108 ITP polished wheels wrapped in ITP 25" terracross tires
    Stadium Shocks w/rezzy all 4 corners
    Power Commander Unit
    Airbox kit
    EPI sport utility clutch kit
    2R racing exhaust tip
    2R racing foot pegs and siderails
    heated grips and heated thumb throttle

My boys: '05 TRX300ex, '05 Robbs racing TRX115, '03 TTR-125, '06 DRZ-125

Personally, I think the new ones suck!

Get an 95-05 350

We have a 2001, and heres the lowdown.

Its FASTER than the new 450 wolverines. It actually has some more get-up-and-go then we thought it would. The semi-auto is nicer to have then the stupid CVT on the newer wolverines.

We plow with it. It does so well you couldn't even tell it was a 350 with an open front

We mud/trail it. We were riding behind out friends grizzly, and went through all the same stuff he did. Only one we didnt because we stopped by accident and got stuck.

Overall, if you get a wolvy, get the 95-05.

We're in the process of trying to find a 660 or some kind of big-bore right now for more power and the fact they have nicer riding suspension. But the wolvy is an excellent 4x4.
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

Your Wrong.
    The 450 is a lot quicker than the 350. Depending if we ride or not this weekend I might get some video footage. Not saying the 350 is slow , but the new automatic 450 is quicker. There is nothing stupid about CVT.

Some people can take a honda 300 4x4 behind a grizzly so stating that your 350 followed a grizzly owner through a couple mud holes doesn't really explain anything.

Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
    Personally, I think the new ones suck!

Get an 95-05 350

We have a 2001, and heres the lowdown.

Its FASTER than the new 450 wolverines. It actually has some more get-up-and-go then we thought it would. The semi-auto is nicer to have then the stupid CVT on the newer wolverines.

We plow with it. It does so well you couldn't even tell it was a 350 with an open front

We mud/trail it. We were riding behind out friends grizzly, and went through all the same stuff he did. Only one we didnt because we stopped by accident and got stuck.

Overall, if you get a wolvy, get the 95-05.

We're in the process of trying to find a 660 or some kind of big-bore right now for more power and the fact they have nicer riding suspension. But the wolvy is an excellent 4x4.
    MX 04 YFZ
    04 XC YFZ
    416ex for sale 1,800.00

Ive ridden both, and personally I think the newer 450's are slower.

I also know multiple people that sold their older 350's for newer 450's and were disapointed becuase they were slower.

The only reason I say CVT is stupid, is because its supposed to be a SPORT utility. By taking away the sporty shifter and giving it a CVT, it loses some of its sport appeal.

The grizzly comment was just to say that wolverines arent bad mudding.
    1989 Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee
    DMC 916 Exhaust__K&N Filter__Boysen Reeds__13 Sprocket__+2+1 Lonestar J-arms__Works AT-Steelers Triple Rate Shocks__White Brothers Rims__Renthal Banshee Bend Bars__Powermadd Handguards__UFO Plastics__Nstyle Graphics__Ceet Cover__Turner Bumper

"It ain't fast without mixed gas"

The white 450 is faster than this black 350 wolverine.

The 350 may feel faster because you are shifting gears , but in an acceleration match the 450 will win hands down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MX 04 YFZ
    04 XC YFZ
    416ex for sale 1,800.00

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast